And he (Heracles) , like dark night, gripping his bare bow
And with an arrow on his bowstring”-Odyssey 11:605

From Allen Mandelbaum translation

Other translations say:

“He came on, like dark night”-Richard Lattimore translation

I do not know where Hercules was born in the Illiad Homer states:

“I loved Semele and Alkmene in Thebes,
When Alkmene bore me a son, Herakles the strong-hearted” Illiad 14:320

Two cities were called Thebes one in Greece and the original one in Egypt. Additional evidence say that Hercules grandmother Andromeda was daughter of a King of Ethiopia says ancient writer Apollodorus. So Hercules was part Ethiopian and Egyptian. The Roman poet Ovid called Andromeda black.

The grandfather of History is Herodotus and he calls Hercules from Egypt to be the original and oldest of all. Egyptologist think Hercules was a composite figure of Egyptian Kings like Sesotris who was called mighty and had ancestors from Ethiopia and may have been the Biblical Nimrod.

It seems to me that when Hollywood makes a movie for kids they do little research to be anywhere near the truth.

In all probability, I think he was African, meaning of a very dark to black complexion. This is how Europeans explain the migtation of culture and civilization to Greece and later Rome, through Hecules.

Interstingly enough, I was recently reading up on Alexander the Great. When he invaded Africa, he used his descant from Hercules whom was believed to be from Africa, as justification. And, the Egyptians tended to view him as their lost son, more or less. So, Egypt did very little in terms of fighting to resist him. And, Alexandria is named in honor of Alexander of Macedonia, called the Great.

Was Heracles black
By Andre Austin

What did Homer say about Heracles

“And I caught sight of mighty Heracles
(that is to say, his shade…)

Like birds that scatter everywhere in terror;

Other translations say:

Two cities were called Thebes one in Greece and the original one in Egypt. Additional evidence say that Hercules grandmother Andromeda was daughter of a King of Ethiopia says ancient writer Apollodorus. So Hercules was part Ethiopian and Egyptian. The Roman poet Ovid called Andromeda black.

The grandfather of History is Herodotus and he calls Hercules from Egypt to be the original and oldest of all. Egyptologist think Hercules was a composite figure of Egyptian Kings like Sesotris who was called mighty and had ancestors from Ethiopia and may have been the Biblical Nimrod.
Interesting.

It seems to me that when Hollywood makes a movie for kids they do little research to be anywhere near the truth.

Or maybe it was their intent not to reflect too close on that "truth".

"As a member of the Argead dynasty, Alexander claimed patrilineal descent from Heracles through Caranus of Macedon.

"When Alexander destroyed Tyre, most of the towns on the route to Egypt quickly capitulated....

"Alexander advanced on Egypt in later 332 BC, where he was regarded as a liberator.[82] He was pronounced the new "master of the Universe" and son of the deity of Amun at the Oracle of Siwa Oasis in the Libyan desert.[83] Henceforth, Alexander often referred to Zeus-Ammon as his true father, and subsequent currency depicted him adorned with ram horns as a symbol of his divinity.[84][85] During his stay in Egypt, he founded Alexandria-by-Egypt, which would become the prosperous capital of the Ptolemaic kingdom after his death.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great)

"Greek travelers had actually been visiting Egypt for centuries, many of them setting up trading colonies or acting as mercenaries. Others such as the historian Herodotus and philosopher Plato came to study a culture they regarded with awe as the cradle of civilization, their knowledge almost certainly part of Alexander's education.

"Alexander was therefore hailed as Savior and Liberator, and as the people's choice and legitimate heir he was offered the double crown of the Two Lands. Anointed as pharaoh in Memphis on 14 November 332 bc, the culmination of his coronation was the climactic moment when the high priest named him 'son of the gods' according to traditions dating back almost 3,000 years.

"Ever keen to discuss philosophy which the Greeks believed to have originated in Egypt, Alexander attended lectures given by the Egyptian philosopher Psammon.(http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=alex...ander+the+great+and+egypt&fp=a048890d3c90c6fc)

"Olympias informed her son that he was actually a descendent of Achilles. And probably Hercules, too. (http://www.interesting.com/stories/alexander/

"This ties in later on in Alexander's life, after he conquered Egypt. He took time out from his campaign to visit the Temple of Ammon in Siwah, at an oasis in the middle of the desert in present-day Libya. Arrian said that he went there, "to consult the god, since the oracle of Ammon was said to be infallible, and to have been consulted by Perseus,... and by Hercules..... Alexander sought to rival Perseus and Hercules, as he was descended from them both; and in addition, he himself traced his birth in part to Ammon, just as the legends traced [the births] of Hercules and Perseus to Zeus." (http://wso.williams.edu/~junterek/divine.htm)

"His family was thought to be descended from Hercules....(http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/bios/b2alexandergreat.htm)

Was Heracles black
By Andre Austin

What did Homer say about Heracles

“And I caught sight of mighty Heracles
(that is to say, his shade…)

Like birds that scatter everywhere in terror;

Other translations say:

Yes the myth is that he is Black, (J.A. Rogers, Runoko Rashidi, Dr Delbert Blair)

Black Athena, Prof. Martin Bernal
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=doNvS_W9LojorgKLqMzjBg&q=black+athena&hl=en#

As regarding mythology, the term is used to describe everyone elses religion except ones own and he was a religious figure to the Greeks and probably , those who still secretly practice that faith

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back