Black Entertainment : Was Fat Albert Offensive?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Thirteen, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Thirteen

Thirteen Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm saying I'm watching the DVD of the old Fat Albert cartoons and these are just some regular/irregular kids from the hood. Weird Harold Dumb Donald, Rudy..you know. However what about that kid who spoke with b's in all his words? What was that about. It's funny however the way Bill Cosby comes across I wouldn't think he would put himself out there like that. I'm not offended but has anyone else been offended by this character or anything else in this show?

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I honestly haven't seen fat albert since I was a kid. In fact it has been as least 20 years since I have seen a fat albert cartoon, so I couldn't make an intelligient assessment until I see the originals again. I do remember the overall messages being positive; however, we should keep in mind the time period in which the material was created (most cartoons at this time were silly).

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    it was funny and i think today it would be as well and Bill has came a long way
    and coming out with the Cosby show , i don't think Fat Albert was any offensive
    to us as blacks then any other show morning cartoon .

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    YES IT WAS!!!

The older cartoon series was VERY offensive to me. I watched it as a pr-teen, and for some reason, I was disgusted by it, literally sickened by it. I knew this was not the proper example of boy/manhood for a young Black bor, or girl (for that matter) to witness. There were rarely any Black male images worthy of looking up to during my era, so, I naively became infatuated with singing groups like "New Kids On The Block":look: Go figure.

5. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I enjoyed it.
    It was filmed in the seventies if I'm not mistaken.