Black Entertainment : Was Fat Albert Offensive?

Thirteen

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 15, 2004
I'm saying I'm watching the DVD of the old Fat Albert cartoons and these are just some regular/irregular kids from the hood. Weird Harold Dumb Donald, Rudy..you know. However what about that kid who spoke with b's in all his words? What was that about. It's funny however the way Bill Cosby comes across I wouldn't think he would put himself out there like that. I'm not offended but has anyone else been offended by this character or anything else in this show?

I honestly haven't seen fat albert since I was a kid. In fact it has been as least 20 years since I have seen a fat albert cartoon, so I couldn't make an intelligient assessment until I see the originals again. I do remember the overall messages being positive; however, we should keep in mind the time period in which the material was created (most cartoons at this time were silly).

it was funny and i think today it would be as well and Bill has came a long way
and coming out with the Cosby show , i don't think Fat Albert was any offensive
to us as blacks then any other show morning cartoon .

YES IT WAS!!!

The older cartoon series was VERY offensive to me. I watched it as a pr-teen, and for some reason, I was disgusted by it, literally sickened by it. I knew this was not the proper example of boy/manhood for a young Black bor, or girl (for that matter) to witness. There were rarely any Black male images worthy of looking up to during my era, so, I naively became infatuated with singing groups like "New Kids On The Block":look: Go figure.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back