Black Spirituality Religion : Was Christianity the Only Thing Our Ancestors Has Suring Slavery?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Feb 11, 2008.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Sometimes we excuse what has proven itself to be a lie by saying that was all some of our ancestors had. But that is not all they brought to this country. That was all they were allowed to openly express. But our enslaved ancestors had a rich spiritual heritage that they brought with them from Africa.

Many of them used the phrases and hymns of Christianity as a coded language when they could not speak openly. The children musta thought Grandma Hazel loved Jesus so much but they didn't know she was singing about her plans to run away. In that way a coded t language for one generation becomes an emotionally laden sacrament for the next.

Many of our ancestors rejected Christianity because they had been worked to the bone, beaten, raped, killed, humiliated and dehumanized in every conceivable way and in ways only a white mind can conceive by the same people who were trying to force them to accept Jesus. Death was their only hope for rest. The thought of spending eternity in a Heaven full of white folks was just too much, The image of God as this old silver haired, pink skinned, Colonel Sanders looking white dude did not resonate with the natural spirituality of their African minds so they rejected it.

So what does it mean to honor our ancestors?

2. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Elaborate Please

I like where you're going with this, and would love to hear more. How do we honor the ancestors? Is it true that many of the gospel songs sung where directions to freedom, or ways to find the underground railroad?

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista phynx,

Here is some information about how spirituals were used as coded language during slavery.
    http://ctl.du.edu/spirituals/Freedom/coded.cfm

Many people see honoring their ancestors as a deeply personal thing which is why I asked the question rather than lay down a prescription for all to follow. That would just be another religion. To make honoring our ancestors a truly spiritual experience we have to explore the question and let our inner spirit give us the answer. I have been told by someone who actually went to Kmt that on a temple wall there is an inscription that says: "That which is revealed to you ceases to be a mystery only to you."

so I invite everyone to explore this question in the light of what was really important to our ancestors.

4. monet1027

monet1027 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Jumping In------

IMO, honoring our ancestors begins with remembering their struggles and not taking their acheivements for granted. It has beome commonplace in our community to prioritize money over morals and to "not knock the next man's hustle" even if that hustle is dealing death and addiction to one another.
    We also confuse being religious with being spiritual. Claiming a denomination makes you politically correct but it also makes you spiritually bankrupt.

5. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey monet,

You describe a very real way of honoring our ancestors and what they stood for. Dropping the ball by allowing what they struggled for to come to nothing, dishonoring the bodies in which they must find their future existence while diligently following a religious ritual of pouring libations or taking communion honors no one.

6. Ishefa

Ishefa Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +32

here is a link that I think will aslo expain some of what happened to our religions.

The Religious Persecution of the Slaves in America: A History of Religious Persecution
    http://www.mamiwata.com/history.html

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +866
    I believe there is still a lot of Africanism in the way we worship. Even if it's Christian. The music, the way we encourage spiritual possession, the dancing, the shouting and speaking in tongues. White folks don't do it like we do, AND they have the nerve to feel nervous when we worship. A lot of it is remniscent of Orisha worship.

8. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Christianity is far from the only thing that has enslaved us. Are we forgetting Islam? Thats the religion of Northern Sudan and look what they are doing to those in Southern Sudan. Is that not slavery? Our Arabian brothers sold us to Europeans. We as a people have always and will always be enslaved as long as we are followers of western religions(Islam, Christianity, and Judaism). Below is a verse from the Koran concerning black people.

Ishaq:243 "I heard the Apostle say: 'Whoever wants to see Satan should look at Nabtal!' He was a black man with long flowing hair, inflamed eyes, and dark ruddy cheeks.... Allah sent down concerning him: 'To those who annoy the Prophet there is a painful punishment." [Surah 9:61] "Gabriel came to Muhammad and said, 'If a black man comes to you his heart is more gross than a donkey's.'"

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,822
    I agree. These Abrahamic religions were spawned from Aryan thought as they spread into Mesopotamia to conquer, enslave, rule over and intermarry with Black people of that area. The tribe of Abraham was nothing more than a group of Aryans mixed into indigenous population that spread westward in conquest of land they claimed was promised to them by God. The conquerors always demonize the conquered and give praise to their God for their victory. We must rid ourselves of all the nonsense.

Blackbird

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587

You know, I made a point about this that got buried somewhere. The same holds true of a "spiritual system" (which I will leave unnamed for tactical reeasons) that incorporates Kabbalistic and Caananite "thought".

But the TRUE source of all these solar "mythos" is nothing more than New Age ZOROASTRIANISM.