Black Sports : Warren Sapp

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by SayWord, Nov 11, 2003.

1. SayWord

SayWord Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    I might be a little late with this, but I can't just let it slide. Warren Sapp called NFL front office excutives "slave masters." I was gasping for air, but I told myself I'm going to let myself hear him out first. So I watched Sunday Morning Countdown on ESPN. And he made me irrate. If I was 6'3 and about 280...I would have socked him. :lol: Seriously though fam, he went beyond the line. I understand him being upset, but the allegations he made were unfair to the NFL and they dimished what slavery actually was. Warren Sapp gets paid milions of dollars a year. Now he's made cause the League won't let him skip through another team's warm up and won't let him bump officials or talk to them disrespectfully. I dont care if you make $5.50 an hour, your employer lays down certain rules and you got to follow them. He's crying cause he doesn't want to follow the rules. What really killed me was, he said that not too long ago with were considered one fourth of a man. :oops: I was jumoing around my apartment yelling, "three fifths dummy! three fifths!" I think he needs to check himself. What do yall think?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    I don't know who Warren Sapp is, nor was i aware of this situation. I'm going on what you've shared only, and appreciate you doing so. To some degree or another, we must all give account to the powers that be, that happens to be White folk, and Black folk do know them as slave masters. How much a Black person makes, does little if anything to change the facts. So the Brother was on point seems to me.

:heart:

Destee

3. SayWord

Ratings:
    +3
    So because the League doesn't let him do whatever he wants they are slave masters? That's a really big stretch. No matter what job you have, no matter who you work for, there are rules you have to follow. Black players were upset that he was doing what he was doing and wanted it to stop. Lavar Arrington of the Washington Redskins said if Sapp did that to his team, he was coming after him. Countless amounts of players thought he was being disrespectful and when the League puts a stop to it and fines him, he calls them slave masters. I'm not too sure he was on point. Truth is, Sapp is in a position to do what many of us can't. He can always leave the NFL. He's made enough money. He chooses to stay. By no stretch of the imgination is Warren Sapp on point with this statement. Him being mad, I can understand that. Him calling the League executives slave masters was wrong on so many different levels. I still think he diminished what slavery was/is and I think he was being unfair. Too many black people throw that around when things don't go there way.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    How can any statement, made by anyone, diminish what slavery was and is?

Like i said, i don't know the particulars of this situation, i'm just pointing out that no matter how much money we may make, or how high they allow us to climb in their organizations, they can and will take it when they want to, justified or not. It has happened and continues to happen to us, more often than Black folk can collectively count. They do this much more often to us, than they do it to each other. I'd imagine you can find like situations where white athletes have done as much if not more, and no issue was made by league officials.

It's simply not a level playing field in any arena for us and the particulars of any specific situation rarely makes much difference. The facts are still the facts and until they change, i will continue to cite them.

I really don't want to turn your sport thread into a political one, so i'm not going to respond anymore (i don't think).

:heart:

Destee

5. SayWord

Ratings:
    +3
    This forum has rules. If someone kept breaking the rules, I'm sure something would be done about it. Does that mean that the Destee.com have become slave masters. Point is, if there are rules at your work place, and you disrespect them on a regular basis, and you get disciplened, then that's on you. Doesn't matter if it happens more to black athletes than white athletes. When I go to work, I do my job. There are rules that I don't like at the school that I teach at, but, they are the rules. If I kept breaking them, I would be fired. That doesn't mean the school is run by slave masters. I think what Warren Sapp said was irresponsible.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes to some point i felt his emotions and the surrounding to the top heads no how they want him
    to be but as a man within and know of how slave drivers is i say he did make a statement
    but rules are rules i too watched it
    and that little bump as we when buy to me was not ment as they looked at it i feel him for lashing out at the leauge but he also have to play under the guide lines of the rules in the NFL SAPP understand his directions and what he can and can't do but there are many others who break them as well look at OWENS
    and few others these are men who just speaking up where they feel justify.......saywood i hear you and life
    is built on rules set forth us all but is there a line where
    rules have gone too far i say yes it is....and i fully understand what destee is saying also but the NFL has it's rules to be followed which he has broken so
    he fight fire with fire and yes the league can dump him
    fast too but like he said he get paid to entertain and play the game .
    SAPP in the league speaks out as a man a black man

7. Joker

Joker Active Member MEMBER

Ceo of illdelph records
    Ratings:
    +0
    philly dont' like him any way

slave master?lol sapp gets paid more than he's worth like the other 101 overpaid players in the NFL. that's okay cause everytime he come to philly the eagles will knock some sense into him E-A-G-L-E-S eagles!!!

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    don't know about all that SAPP a hit man fo real
    break folks down his comment was kinda out of
    place but well felt too ...just one of the few speaking out