Black Spirituality Religion : Warith Deen Mohammed

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Akilah, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    ***I had never heard of this brutha before this morning...amazing story

Akilah ~

Warith Deen Mohammed was born Wallace D. Muhammad. He was the seventh child of Elijah and Clara Muhammad. Elijah Muhammad, referred to as the Honorable Elijah Muhammad by his followers, led the Nation of Islam, an organization considered by some to be a kind of black Ku Klux Klan. But for the many African-Americans who became members — and for thousands of sympathizers — the Nation of Islam provided an answer to racial oppression.

Self-reliance and "knowledge of self" were the driving philosophies of the Nation. Elijah Muhammad preached that the black man needed to stop looking to the white man for acceptance and learn to accept himself. Muhammad encouraged blacks to start their own businesses, and to stay in their own communities. In effect, he advocated a black "nation within a nation."

The Nation of Islam taught that black people were the "original people" with a divinity bestowed upon them from God. In this theology, white people were considered devils --- and Elijah Muhammad was God's Messenger on earth.

Wallace Muhammad grew up listening to his father’s teachings, and he believed them as a child. But as he grew older, he was increasingly aware of the discrepancies between the Islam his father taught, and the Islam taught in the Qu’ran and practiced by millions of Muslims worldwide. Breaking with his father and the Nation would prove emotionally difficult and physically dangerous, but Wallace’s faith eventually led him to guide the Nation away from a separatist, race-based theology and towards the world community of Islam.

http://www.pbs.org/thisfarbyfaith/people/warith_deen_mohammed.html

2. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Yes....

He's a wise and knowledgable brother.
    I attent many of his masjids when I visit different cities.

He took over the original Nation of Islam after Elijah died and brought the organization into mainstream Islam. A few years later Farrakhan decided to resurrect a new Nation of Islam based on the teachings of Elijah so the 2 men went their separate ways.

Now they're starting to work together.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    You Know, Dual, you remind of a brother I once knew usta post here...(smile!) Nah, can't be...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Isaiah

Lol....I hope he didn't owe you any money.

First Sekhemu....now another is dropping hints of me of being an "unda-cuva brutha".

5. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I think you're onto something here :bingo:

6. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    ummmm....hello ???

Sekhemu & Isaiah...do either of you have anything to add to the topic of this thread which is WARITH DEEN MOHAMMED ??? I would be most grateful for any additional info you could provide about him or his organization...

Akilah :peace:

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Pardon the intrusion, my bad

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Sister Akilah, much love and respect to you, and I apologize for my speculations(smile!)

As regards Warith Deen Muhammad, indeed, he is the 7th son of the most Honorable Elijah Muhammad, and was instrumental in completely transforming the once all-Black and separatist Nation of Islam into an orthodox islamic group, which allowed white folks membership.

Warith Deen Muhammad, formerly Wallace Muhammad, is also alleged to have been the man who informed Minister Malcolm of his father's dalliances with several secretaries. What is not widely known is that when this information became known to Chicago muslims, some attempts were made on Wallace Muhammad's life, and he was eventually "read out" of the Nation for a period of time. He was forgiven, and allowed back into the Nation following the assassination of Minister Malcolm, and later ascended to it's leadership following the death of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad in February, 1975.

Minister Wallace, gradually began to institute changes within the Nation, first disbanding the F.O.I., which he called a bunch of thugs... And later, he assigned Minister Farrakhan to a small southside Chicago mosque, effectively curtailing Farrakhan's power within the Nation, and leading to his departure from the group which Warith renamed the Bilalian sect of islam in the west - or something to that effect(been a long time, ya know)...

One last thing or two... Thougth Wallace was actually the youngest of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad's sons by Clara Muhammad, the number 7 carries a great deal of significance in the NOI eschatology, as the Messenger himself was a seventh son... Wallace was, therefore, groomed for leadership of the Nation by the Messenger by sending him east for his education. Wallace, I believe, actually accompanied Malcolm on his first trip to Mecca in 1959... A trip which Malcolm made in the Messenger's stead, as he was chronically ill with bronchitis... So much for Malcolm going to Mecca in 1964, and seeing White muslims for the FIRST TIME...

Peace!
    Isaiah

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    \

Peace Sister Akilah,

The story is much deeper than what meets the eye here..............I will add on!!

10. Akilah

Ratings:
    +36
    Awesome!!!

Thank you for that info brutha Isaiah and...
    I can't wait to read your add-ons brutha Info-moetry :read:

Hotepu ~