Amun-Ra : War. What is it Good For?

Discussion in 'Amun-Ra' started by Amun-Ra, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Amun-Ra

Amun-Ra Well-Known Member MEMBER

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    The presidents he's got his war,
    nobody knows just what it's for,
    nobody gives us rhyme or reason,
    have one doubt, they call it treason.
    We're chicken feathers all without one nut,
    trying to make it real compared to what?--Les McCann, 1976

It should be clear by now that it makes no difference what Saddam Hussein does, President George W. Bush is going to attack Iraq. Even if Hussein were to lay out every missile, hand grenade and slingshot he owned, it would make absolutely no difference because this war isn’t about any of those things.

Surely the world will be a better place without Saddam Hussein but does the United States have real justification? South Korea has nuclear weapons and makes no bones about it. Are we planning to attack South Korea? We have done some major saber rattling but the president’s response has been more diplomatic. Perhaps it is because nearly a million North Korean troops sit just north of the DMZ and would be able to sweep across the South Korean and U.S. troops stationed there without much problem.

This is Bush’s war. Public opinion is starting to shift and now even our staunchest allies are saying wait a minute as Germany and France sponsored a UN resolution to put UN troops and more inspectors in Iraq. The US has called this response irresponsible and is trudging ahead with its plans to attack Iraq. Additionally, France, Germany and Belgium also have blocked US efforts to protect Turkey, which recently said no to launching US war missions from Turkish soil. Even Russia has moved to say that there are other means to solve the problem.

Yet, the president presses on. Clearly, it never made any difference what the UN weapons inspectors found in Iraq. The president wants to attack Iraq. He has been selling this war since 2001 and while there was some support for such action in the aftermath of September 11 it has waned as the economy withers.

No matter what the president decides, my support is with him simply because the consequences will fall upon all of our shoulders, especially the men and women who will be on the ground and in the air over Iraq. It is the soldier I support because they will bear the brunt of this war. It is the mothers and fathers that I support because they will be the first to receive the bad news of a child's death.

This single-minded quest to obliterate Saddam Hussein has ignored the problems in the United States as the economy heads south, the jobless rate rises, healthcare issues continue unabated and the American people are troubled by myriad problems that will not be fixed with the elimination of Saddam Hussein.

There was nothing Saddam Hussein could have done to stop this war. He could have stood on his head with missiles hanging out of his pockets and it would not have been enough. So, it looks like we will have war even though our allies and an increasing number of the American people don’t think it’s the right direction. Whatever the decision my support is with the president, but my heart goes out to the thousands of Americans and Iraqis who will suffer.

Our military will perform and they will be successful, but this time the cost will be higher and it that cost that concerns me. What will the payment be? Obviously, there will be loss of life during the war, but what of after the war? Our standing within the international community will be altered, perhaps, irreparably. Anti-Americanism will certainly rise and the ties with our allies will be weakened.

Will this war the president wants so badly stop terrorism? It is doubtful that it will have little affect at all other than to increase Middle Eastern hatred for the United States. It may be a “feel good” war if there is such a thing, but more than likely those feelings will be short-lived as terrorist a sure to retaliate. No matter what the decision, I will support the president, but I believe that this war was inevitable from the start and the hidden weapons stashes were just a smoke screen to do what the president always wanted to do—attack Iraq.

2. alter

alter Well-Known Member MEMBER

insurrection
    Ratings:
    +0
    this war will end the world as we know it, if the casualties rise and continue to rise. the united states will be branded a rogue state by the rest of the world. the euro will replace the petro dollar as legal tender of choice and our economy will topple, taking us instantly to the status of 3rd world nation.

of course, the rich and richer will continue to prosper, and the already-outrageous gap between the rich and poor will finally become insurmountable as rising cultural wars and homeland security guarantee the oppressor-status of the dispossessed and the oppressed in what will now become known as fascist-oligarchical state, rather than a democratic one.

even if the shock and awe lives up to its billing and does indeed shock and awe the world with the terrific destruction that will surely be its legacy, the imperial united states will have been reborn anew, this time, with the entire world as its prey. never again will america be the world's moral authority.

as an ex-mercenary/veteran of the 1st gulf war myself, i'm glad you support the troops. but if they don't know what they've gotten themselves into, then they truly are G.I.s (government issue) and owned, as surely as any slave back on the plantation.

3. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    It is sad

I did my duty and I'd do it again in the face of eminent danger, but what is about to happen is a preemptive and unprovoked attack--I must support the troops because I am a father--parents will be the first to receive the bad news--I would support my sons if this is what they had to do, but I have no love of war--been there and done that--and it hasn't stopped anything--b ut it has as you said "made the rich richer."

Ra

:(

4. alter

insurrection
    Ratings:
    +0
    war is indeed hell ... and, as you say, if we consider ourselves americans then we have a duty to this country. if it were only so simple, tho'...with our peculiar history and continuing marginalization it is difficult to find a rational to do what we have done other than the fact that we remain mentally enslaved. as father also, i see the need to take a stand and choose to be someone, to invest one'self in the system because, what other options do we have? but as a conscious, melanated individual, it is incumbent upon me to search out other choices, so that my children will not have to make the same ones that i have had to make. amen-ra.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    i totally agree
    da war is a death trap and a destructional maze waiting to happen

6. alter

insurrection
    Ratings:
    +0
    the hostilities in iraq have ended, but is the war over?

7. Amun-Ra

Sales Management
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not Yet

The real has juts begun--for the hearts and minds of those we seek to change--can it be done? who knows, but with the arogance of the current administration, I don't think it has enough sincerity--Ra

;)