Pan Africanism : wangari maathai reiterates hiv man made

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Therious, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    after winning her nonelprize maathai wangari makes statement about aids being a genetisc weapon.///from-http://zulunation.com/news.html

HIV virus deliberately created: Wangari MaathaiAdd to Clippings

AFP[ SATURDAY, OCTOBER 09, 2004 10:26:50 PM ]
    NAIROBI: Kenyan ecologist Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, on Saturday reiterated her claim that the AIDS virus was a deliberately created biological agent.

"Some say that AIDS came from the monkeys, and I doubt that because we have been living with monkeys (since) time immemorial, others say it was a curse from God, but I say it cannot be that.

"Us black people are dying more than any other people in this planet,"
    Maathai told a press conference in Nairobi a day after winning the prize for her work in human rights and reversing deforestation across Africa.

"It's true that there are some people who create agents to wipe out other people. If there were no such people, we could have not have invaded Iraq,"
    she said.

"We invaded Iraq because we believed that Saddam Hussein had made, or was in the process of creating agents of biological warfare," said Maathai.

"In fact it (the HIV virus) is created by a scientist for biological warfare," she added.

"Why has there been so much secrecy about AIDS? When you ask where did the virus come from, it raises a lot of flags. That makes me suspicious,"
    Maathai added.

Africa accounts for 25 million out of the estimated 38 million across the world infected with HIV, and the vast majority of infected Africans are women, according to UNAIDS estimates.

The United States on Friday congratulated Maathai on winning the Nobel Peace Prize, but tempered its praise over her claims about AIDS. "She said
    (HIV/AIDS) was invented as a bioweapon in some laboratory in the West," a senior State Department official said. "We don't agree with that."

The official pointed to a report of those comments published in August in Kenya's daily Standard newspaper, in which Maathai was quoted as saying that HIV/AIDS was created by scientists for the purpose of mass extermination.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i to suspect that it was man made.
    it has turned the world conservative.
    is that a coincidence?

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    I've heard and read on more than one occasion the conspiracy theory that the HIV was made in a laboratory. That concerns me but what concerns me the most is the data that reports the highest number of victims who contract the virus are not women of color--but African American women. I believe the statistics reported are AA's and not broadened to Black women and if I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.

Nevertheless, this truly disturbs me because it begs the question as to why this is the case and always seems to be the case whenever it comes to life threatening diseases, particularly when AA's are most likely to succumb to the disease because of their lack of adequate healthcare benefits.

Do we dare trust the data and if it's true, how has the disease changed how AA's function in this society? If we are intimidated by the data alone and become paranoid, what affect will this have on the growth of our families and our future potential as a people? How has this affected how we relate to each other as partners/mates, etc.? If the more educated among us who can provide adequately for our families are having fewer children, and those who are dependent are the ones having children, what can we expect to become of the future generations of Black people?

Queenie :spinstar:

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    can we trust stats i dnt know but i tend not to trustany "scientific data" coming from the other side.i 1st heard tht aa's were facing an aids epidemic in the mid 90's, however ten years later i dnt c us dropping like flies.with that said ppl should still be careful, practice safer/monogamous relations. if aids is man made wouldnt it make since to go after those who give birth to the targeted ppl? especially on the continent with most dense population of thoseppl/also with many richs on that continent? at least to start then let ignorance and recklessness take its course. according to stats ive read hiv remains at roughly 1percent of the population like it was in the late eighties/ early nineties aa's are the highest percentage while whts comprise the most # of cases.

i believe much like the "shortage"of good blk men theory this effects the psches of weak minded peeps, will have them looking elswhere for a partner. there is truth in some theories there is also gross exaggeration in many.

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sister Queen. I am glad you brought up this matter of Statistical Data. I believe that the data is always overly represented let me give you a clear and simple example:

Manasiac has 100 Dollars and NNQueen has 1 Dollar.

If I take 50 Cent away from NNQueen she has a 50% Loss.

If I take 50 Cent away from Manasiac his loss is under 1%

When you compare a minority against a majority statiscally, the miniority will always have a staggering number.

People never take this into account when reading statiscs about minorities and diseases.

These same number of higher percentages can be found in the majority at a more grander scale, but are never reported that way because if you take 50 cent from them, they have under 1 percent.

Just a take on it Queenie.

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Good point but why you had to have the $100 and I had $1 in your example? :ref: :)

But even still, when you look at the numbers within the Black population alone, aren't the affects still staggering? Proportionally speaking if a higher percentage in a test group are represented by us, isn't that still an indication that our numbers are declining faster which reflects a disproportionate impact? Someone who knows more about statistics help me out here!

7. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Right. I think my point is that the numbers are not that great as they seem.

I think the numbers are spinned as high because they are juxtaposed against the majority too much. moreover, when you have you have something small and you loose a little bit, you will still have a great loss.

I think there is a problem within our community, but not to the extent that it is being placated in society.

And I gave you a dollar because I took your other 75 and gave them too you as bonus points in the other thread :)

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Oh, okay, just checking to make sure you ain't trying to cheat a sister! :lol:

Queenie :spinstar:

9. MANASIAC

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    [email protected]