Black Short Stories : Walking Towards the Sunset

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
I closed my eyes and immersed my senses in the heat of the flames that roared through the McGruger’s home. The heat made sweat bead down my forehead, down my nose and off my chin. I licked my lips and tasted the saltiness of the smoke and sweat. The smell of smoke was thick, but I was not close enough to choke. And the smell of oak being burned filled my nose like a sweet scent. I could hear the sounds of laughter and hollering all around me. Then suddenly, someone shook me.
“Ain’t this the best day ever?”
I opened my eyes to see my best friend Mae Mae standing in front of me. Her smile was filled with a gap tooth on her top row. She was breathing hard from all the jumping and running around she must have doing. Because see, today was a day to celebrate, but it was also a worrisome day.
“We ain’t slaves no more Annie,” she said shaking my shoulders, “We ain’t slaves no more.”
I smiled and looked at the McGrurger’s plantation house engulfed in fire. The house was beautiful, but inside ugliness dwelled. Master McGruger was probably the worst master ever, but all the white people came to him, because he was the town doctor. He was good to them white people and made sure to see that they got well. The master was very into his money and the people would give him lots of it, and sometimes they would give him slaves too, because they were like money also. Master had tons of us, but he didn’t treat us well at all. At night, he would drink his water, but it was whiskey, but he called it water. And his water made him wild and mad. He’d blame the slaves for drinking his water, because he couldn’t remember that the night before that he drank it all and passed out somewhere on the plantation. He would then find any ol’ slave and blame them for drinking it and then whoop them good.
The misses wasn’t any better. And I know I might be in big trouble with the good Lord for saying this, but I’m glad she has departed from this earth. She was a wicked woman. She always was blaming one of us slaves for something. Of course, master would always believe her, because in his eyes she could do no wrong, but he would soon find out different. Misses was young and lovely, while master was much older than she was. From the gossip that I heard, misses was got married to the master because he had lots of money. But there was no love involved from the misses. She loved another man. She was much meaner to me, because she knew that she was up to no good. I think she thought should could scare me into not saying anything, rather than be nice to me. But I doubt that woman would even know how to be nice.
One day, I was walking to the well to bring back some water to the cabins for our dinner. At first I didn’t know what the noise was. I thought someone was hurt nearby. I followed the noise into the stables. As I walked closer to the noise I saw what looked to be a fine shawl. I picked up and someone snatched it out of my hands.
“What are you doing out here?!” I looked up and saw the misses naked on a bale of hay with a man that I had never seen before. I ran out so fast that I dropped my pale and never did go back to get it.

To be continued......(maybe)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back