Black People : wake-up

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, Jun 17, 2003.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
  2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    It would be a new day in these modern times if Black people would (not could because we can) move together on a massive scale such as this.

True, the evidence is there and all seems lost for us. The cards are stacked against us, or so it seems. It's water over the bridge and some might say that the fat lady has sung. Has Hell finally frozen over and yes, the door knob has hit us where the sun don't shine. So, why bother voting? Why bother fighting? Why continue discussing issues that we can't do anything about? Why even get up out of bed every morning?

Why? Because in the words of the Stylistics, I believe that "It's never too late, too late to STOP, LOOK, LISTEN to your heart, hear what it's saying..." The key though is that we must take direct and immediate action on what we hear.

I think the tide can always be changed with the right stop gaps and direct influences. Humans have the ability to change their environment--to manipulate it for personal gain. This is proof personified.

SO, if THEY can do it....why won't WE? Don't we have the same or similar resources? Aren't there enough of us in number? Don't we have a common goal?

Excellent thread!!

3. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
  4. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
  5. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    As so many other demonstrations of anger and frustration by Blacks in America this too will die down, fizzle out and go away soon--to be forgotten. Then it will be back to business as usual with nothing changed for the greater good. If it's true that the only people that worry about money are those that don't have it, could it also be true that the only people that are concerned about unjust and unequal treatment are those that believe they don't have it? Tired of being sick and tired? Then when does the revolution/evolution begin?

6. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    excellent question Queen:

The Evolution must begin now-- and it must begin inside of those of us who really want to see us-- Evolve.... some say that the revolution has been won (i.e. civil rights laws etc.,) but just look around you--- it has not been won... it continues--- our methods of fighting has to change... if we each say I will change the way in which I fight... I will not destroy my community, I will support black businesses and businesses in my community that give to the community; that hire within my community; I will not support anyone or any organization that hinders and helps in destroying my community (including those who I may consider my brothers and sisters); I must support my sisters and brothers who without reason (other than the skin that we share) are killed, discriminated against, or hurt--- I must make sure that they have a voice- that starts within me... (this of course is subjective to who the person is/ what happened-- we have to stop letting people decide for us, who and what are worthy causes)...

With this Michigan incident-- they have gotten the police attention, the police say that they have to change the way they operate.... but at what price? There had to be another way, or we are doom...

Let the Evolution begin.

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Happy...if you haven't already, please read Junious Stanton's article on "The AmeriKKKan Gulag, and tell me what you think!!!

I agree with you, no revolution has been won as it pertains to African Americans because although racism is practiced differently as a result of the civil rights laws, it continues to exist. So what have we won?

In order to evolve, it requires a change in one's thinking along with an ability to adapt to or manipulate one's environment. So, in order to begin to do the things you mention, we must first know, believe and understand why we need to do those things and what we'll get from that when we all stick together as a unit and do them.

Keeping our EYES ON THE PRIZE is important, but we must first be clear as to what the real prize is. Do we know?

In my opinion, the prize is not about a new car, a house, long weaves, fake fingernails and colored contact lenses. The prize is not being able to sit next to them on a bus, be taught their history lessons sitting next to them in a classroom or eat their food in their restaurants. The prize is not to be able to live next door in a house like theirs or work in the next office cubicle with them for someone like them. The prize is not about being able to vote for them only for them to enact laws that continue to inhibit me or govern over me and continue to oppress me. The prize is not about simply getting up every morning going to work or school and back home again and not being "conscious" about anything impacting me in between. The prize is not to assimilate and be like them although I was born on the same soil as they are. The prize is not for me to forget and hate who I am or where I came from. The prize is not for me to believe that my ancestors were heathens and be thankful that they came to my motherland to civilize me in the name of their religion.

How can we do the things you suggest happy if our eyes see these things as the prize?

8. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Queen,
    First, Yes, I will read the article. it is on here right.
    Second, Sister, I agree with what you say 100%!
    I just asked my best friend on the phone," When did being poor become a sin?"
    Whereas, I am what I call a centrist when it comes to the political and the social--- I am labeled an independent and have about 90% of the time voted to my Left.... although I see both political parties as a buddies club, having a little tussle- while they mess up people's lives... But, we have to vote-- and I'm sorry to say, I don't think that voting for only Blacks will and can do it; It seems to me that they have relegated themselves to the back of the bus, and they are silent and getting a check....

The prize can only be, to become self-sustaining... we are at a place right now, where we can be.
    While some want to decry community--- doesn't it seem, in the least, funny that now we are being unindated with: "Blacks want to be with Blacks..." As if something is wrong with that....
    But we have to parlay that into real communities--- we have to be present at the schools in our communities, we have to open up and support our businesses... I was thinking that a great way to do this; would be for us to start "Home Businesses" and network within the community---- I am so excited about this idea- Queen, I'll email you about this and tell me what you think.... anyway, and we can start community projects-- where we start collecting funds to get the things in the communities that we want; and then use those in our communities who know about business and investing, etc... and make loans to each other for certain kinds of things.... and set asides for community projects, like rec cntrs., tutoring cntrs... where we get people to volunteer, and/or we pay minimum wage to our "knowledgeable" youth to tutor; we have our people come in and talk to the communities about what is going on that we all need to know, ... community grants, etc.... more Black Banks are coming up, they can be utilized, etc....

If you don't have community--- I don't care where you go, or where you run--- You don't have community.

SELF-SUSTAINING COMMUNITY

9. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    I'm feeling both of you ladies on this thread.

NNQueen.. especially your elegant way you framed " What the prize is not "