Black Positive People : W.E.A.N. - Janice Jackson

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by cherryblossom, Feb 16, 2013.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Baltimore woman among Obama's Citizen Medal awardees
    President gives second-highest civilian honor to 12, including professor who helps women with disabilities
    • [​IMG]

Medal recipient Janice Y. Jackson of Baltimore shares the stage… (Karl Merton Ferron, Baltimore…)
    February 15, 2013|By Yvonne Wenger, The Baltimore Sun
    WASHINGTON — — Janice Jackson remembers being a 20-something flirting with the young men who worked at the Baltimore rehabilitation center where she visited her brother as he was recovering from a car accident that left him paralyzed.
    Three years later, they would be the same attendants responsible for bathing her after she was hit by a car and paralyzed. The men hadn't done anything wrong, said Jackson, now 53, but she felt humiliated by a loss of dignity.

....That experience, Jackson said, revealed her life's purpose and led her to the White House on Friday, where President Barack Obama recognized her with the nation's second-highest civilian honor, the Citizens Medal, for the network she built to help hundreds of disabled women in Maryland feel empowered, beautiful and capable of dreaming.
    "I would have never touched as many people in my life if I wasn't in this chair," said Jackson, of Northeast Baltimore. "I know people, a lot of people, who are able-bodied walking around with all their faculties, and they're just as handicapped in their spirit and their soul.
    "I would rather sit in this chair than to change places with someone who hasn't found their purpose, who hasn't found their contentment, what they're called to do."
    Jackson organized several support groups that culminated in 2007 with her creation of Women Embracing Abilities Now, or WEAN, a nonprofit mentoring group affiliated with the League for People with Disabilities.....

....CONTINUED.....

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...timore-woman-world-war-ii-northeast-baltimore

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    W.E.A.N.

WOMEN EMBRACING ABILITIES NOW

http://www.wean1.org/

W.E.A.N. (Women Embracing Abilities Now) is a peer counseling/mentoring program servicing women with varying degrees of dis-ABILITIES.

The mission of W.E.A.N. is to "wean" women with new dis-ABILITIES from having their limitations be their focal point, thus having them living "with" their ABILITIES.

W.E.A.N. also seeks to empower and enable women with dis-ABILITIES to become more productive by creating one-on-one mentoring relationships between women with"new" dis-ABILITIES and women who have been living successfully with their disABILITIES.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow what an great honor