Science and Technology : VR / AR / MR

ZealotX

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 21, 2020
I remember how it felt when the PC first really hit the market and games were a collection of pixels. I remember playing pong on a device that only played that one game. And it was then that our parents idea of a remote control was you getting up to go change the station for them, turning one or two circular dials on your TV and then fiddling with the TV's antenna.

Now, I put on a VR headset (I'm using the Oculus Quest) and I literally feel like I'm in the game. It's still very early in VR's life cycle. Previous attempts at VR were no where close to what it is now. And it's not just games. Using Next VR you can watch NBA games for free and feel like you are almost there in a way that you couldn't even duplicate by actually being there. Why? Because the view switches to the best camera, court side, under the basket, and even an above the rim dunk camera where you feel like you could reach out and touch the rim. It's insane. There's also tilt brush that lets you paint in room-scale 3D space where you can walk around and even through your creations. There's Big Screen that lets you watch movies with your friends.

Hand tracking just came out on the Quest so soon games and other applications will be able to use that and let you put your controllers down. But finally, there are serious companies putting big money into developing VR as a next generation platform. I'm not saying this will win over PS5 (which has its own VR from PS4) or XBox. But as the second generation VR comes out with the Snapdragon XR2 5G chip... we're going to see so much more and in increase in visual fidelity like never before. Not to mention they will be able to map your current environment and overlay CG graphics on top of it. Personally, I think this is the future of gaming and it's not far away.

So this thread is for people who are interested in VR, who want to ask questions, whether you're thinking about buying, or just interested. It's also for reviews by people who have tried it or who are VR owners already, and for VR owners to connect to each other so we can play together.

Pistol Whip

This game feels like dancing in the cerebral cortex of John Woo. It is like playing John Wick. It is insane.

It is like Beat Saber had a baby with Super Hot. And if you don't know about these games I will review them as well so you can fully appreciate the amount of fun that you can have in this game.

The gameplay is very simple. It is an 'on rails' shooter so you're just moving forward at a constant speed. But rail shooters work well in VR because your eyes are the camera so you control where you're looking. Also, you are actually dodging bullets by moving your actual head. As enemies appear you have to shoot them while dodging their fire. If you get close enough you can "pistol whip" them which will take out any enemy. There are also obstacles you sometimes have to move around or duck under.

The graphics are stylized and abstract. The levels can move and pulse with the music. There's no story to care about. It's all action. Enemies shatter when shot. It's a rhythm game. Therefore you can anticipate enemies and when to shoot. It's a game that is easy to play but hard to master. It's also one of those games that will definitely make you better at it the more you play.

And because you're in the game, you can shoot however you want. You can dual wield sideways; gangsta style. You can two hand a single pistol like you were are on a range. Accuracy is VERY forgiving so as long as you're basically pointed in the general direction of your target you're going to hit it.

Pistol Whip is about fun and action and you will burn calories in this game while having fun. It's so much different from a console game where you're sitting down, holding a controller. In this game you're up on your feet, bobbing and weaving, side-stepping, ducking, and really just having a blast. And it's great solo or taking turns with a group while casting the game to a larger screen so everyone can see your moves.

Super Hot

Super Hot is a game that is in a class of its own. This game makes full use of the fact that you are in VR and you can move in a 1:1 ratio. If you were playing a PS4 or Xbox game you could snatch a gun out of someone's hand if you get close enough and you press the right button. In this game, you LITERALLY snatch the gun out of their hands. And because time moves a quickly as you do you can always slow time to a stand still while you decide what to do next.

The enemies look like bad simulations but that's because the focus is on your physical activity and the amount of items in the environment you can use as weapons or defense. You can throw bottles or ninja stars at people but you have to actually throw stuff. It's not a button you push that does it automatically. So many times I have thrown something to kill one enemy and catch their weapon flying out of their hands to kill another. You can even block bullets with your gun.

The difficulty in the game comes in the fact that you are very fragile just like the enemies so if you get hit you have to restart the level. But again, you can slow time. While this wont always save you it does let you even the playing field against multiple enemies.

This game is addictive and can be very hard to put down. It is definitely a must have if you own a VR headset.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back