Voting- To Vote or Not to Vote

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by nabraska, Oct 14, 2004.

?

Do You Vote

1. Yes, and why

65.0%
  2. No, and why

35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. nabraska

nabraska Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13
    I just returned from a poetry with some "revolutionaries" poets, and other people where the "theme" for the night was the celebration of the 38 year history of The Black Panther Party. Now it was a open mic and people wanted to keep it in that spirit, so most (if not all poems) were revolutionary/black positivity based. However, there were two sides that got into a HEATED, and when I say HEATED, I mean HEATED debate, about whether to vote or not to vote. My question to this board is do you vote, why or why not.

I didn't know where else to put this, plus two brothas were the main party so I apologize for leaving out the ladies but ladies, please post your response as well.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    VOTE ..... we , our ancestors died for our rights to case a vote
    we cry and speak but never stand to the task to make a different
    we all should vote and change how it's done .......I SAY VOTE !!!!!
    people be heard and make an impact on the political arena !

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Politicians make the laws that affect our lives, both on the national & local level. Therefore it is foolish not to vote for one who closely fits your needs & desires. No politician will do everything you want, because they aren't you. However if you vote for no one, it is very likely that laws will be passed that have an adverse effect on you. Also when entire groups of people don't vote (like Blacks), then that groups is ignored by Washington...which is dangerous. The courting of Latinos by Washington (turning a blind eye to illegal immigration, supporting bi-lingual educational & government programs, housing grants & business loans, etc.) is a perfect example of the importance of voting. These people are being pursued for their voting potential. I believe (and I can prove) that part of the reason African Americans are losing our politican clout is because we have gone decades without voting. Technically we've only had the right to vote (throughout the country) for 40 years, it is somewhat scary that we can take that right for granted so quickly!

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Interestingly, before I saw this I posted a similar question and posed it to our Sisters in the Sisters forum. My questions and information leans more toward sisters but you may find the responses are suitable here as well. I'm glad that you're with us nabraska--welcome! And thank you for contributing good information to stimulate productive discussion.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    Voting is one of the key ingredients of a remedy for some of the probems of the Diaspora here in America.

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

7. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've voted every year since I turned 18.

There have been times when I was convinced that my vote didn't count...but I've continued to vote regardless. I really don't want to test the theory that my vote doesn't count by NOT voting.

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    me too, as the all wise Puff Daddy says, "Vote or Die"!

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't vote and I never have. I don't see the point. Both parties care nothing about us. Yeah, we can hang on their every word when they say they care about our issues (usually around election time), but that doesn't matter what they say...it matters what they do. No president cares about what's killing African Americans and minorities. All we are voting on his hope. Hope that what they are saying isn't a lie just to get our vote. It's clearly lies because they never try to please us until they need our vote. They'll come back 4 years later and make more promises and not deliver. I don't down people for voting...because that's your right. I also don't down people for not voting because our votes don't matter. All it does is keep us hoping 4 years at a time. Keeps us content and sitting while we wait for one of these politicians to have a change of heart.

10. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15

I hear you Kente. But all voting isn't national....especially when you start owning property or homes...many things affect your livlihood like property taxes, gas taxes, etc. There are other things to vote on other than just political parties.