Black People : Voting Rights Act

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by bigdrizzle, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bigdrizzle

bigdrizzle Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Camille Cosby just made a reference about the Voting Rights Act in her most recent open letter on racism. This is extremely important.

We are quickly approaching the 21st Century and we were wondering, and when I say 'we', I mean others of us out there who wonder if everyone else out there knows what the significance of the year 2007 is to Black America?

Did you know that our right to VOTE will expire in the year
    2007? Seriously! The Voters Rights Act signed in 1965
    by Lyndon B. Johnson was just an ACT. It was not made a law.

In 1982, Ronald Reagan amended the Voters Rights Act for another 25 years. Which means that in the year 2007 we could lose the Right to vote!

Does anyone realize that African Americans are the only group of people who require PERMISSION under the United States Constitution to vote! In the year 2007, Congress will once again convene to decide whether or not Blacks should retain the rights
    to vote (crazy but true).

In order for this to be passed, 38 states will have to approve an extension. This is ludicrous! Not only should the extension be
    approved, but also the ACT must be made a law. Our right to vote should no longer be up for discussion, review and/or evaluation.

We must contact our Congress-persons, Senators, Alderpersons, etc., to put a stop to this! As bona fide Citizens of the United States, we cannot "drop the ball" on this one! We have come too far to let government make us take such a huge step backward. So please, let us push forward to continue to build the momentum towards gaining equality.

Please pass this onto others, as we are sure that many more individuals are not aware of this. I urge all of you that are able, to contact those in government that have your vote and make them aware of our combined concern for this issue.

One voice!...... One Vote! You cannot complain, if you do not participate.....local, State, & national..

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    What is the first action step?

CD

3. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Petitions and letter writing. You can go to a library and look up the proper procedures for sending in a petition then ask every person you come across Black and white to sign it and then send it into the proper person.

Some of the people you talk to aren't going to believe our righhts are in danger so you must first read the act itself and know something about its history so you can go to the people with knowledge instead of hysteria to convince them to take action.

Also write letters to congressmen voicing your concern.

If we remain silent at this time then when the time comes they will think we don't care. Even the white man had to fight for his freedoms against king George and the British. How can they respect a people who do nothing then complain when freedom is not handed to them on a silver platter?

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    Another task upon our grace
    i agree we all need to work this one and push forward
    thankz for this message as i pass it along

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!

it is NOT our "right to vote" that is at issue.

It is our "right to vote in peace" that is at issue. they will not take away the right to vote. they are looking at whether they will renew the PROTECTIONS that "allowed" us to get to the polling stations!!

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    In that case there will be those people who say we no longer need such protection--people who will say blatant racism is a thing of the past.

It's only because of these protections that we haven't seen blatant racism in such large scale as it was a generation ago. Just because the shakey levee is in place doesn't mean the Atlantic has gone anywhere.

Since our government is made up of people once we accept blatant racism in the private sector it won't be but a generation or two before its practice becomes official and systematic once again.

What does history tell us? Right after the civil war during that period called Reconstruction Blacks enjoy many rights and were holding many public offices. What happened? The generation with the fire in their hearts and eyes died out and was replaced by the next generation that knew nothing of slavery but had everything handed to them already on paper and signed by His Benevolance the President. That's when the clan chose to strike. How many times do we have to go through this cycle before we get it iinto our heads that nothing written on paper is gauranteed to us?

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    River:

My is everyone learning something today.

I will take your suggestions seriously. However, before I do that, Who will the petition(s) be given to?

The sad thing is that we do not have black people in the world today who are willing to die for the right to vote like we did 2 decades ago. We need to get back in place to earn our rights.

I will contact every congressman that I come in reach with.

CD

8. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes there aren't too many. But we aren't asking them to die. We are asking them to sign a petition so that maybe they won't have to die. It's like taking a shower at night even when you're dead tired instead of trying to take one in the chill of the morning when you're still tired but now it's freezing cold to boot.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Just because you are a rich black person does not mean you are not accountable camille cosby