Black Spirituality Religion : Voodoo Seasons

Siren

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 10, 2009
The DE
Occupation
R/A
Hey everyone,

Since as of late there has been a lot of going back and forth regarding religion, I thought I'd see if anyone ever heard of the book entitled, "Voodoo Seasons," by Jewell Parker Rhodes. It was given to me by my stepmother, and the story has a pretty good plot. What stuck out to me in the piece was how there was a conflict within the main character, as well as her ancestors from Haiti with Voodou, and Catholicism. About how the religions merged, though they were different, and similar at the same time. The main character struggles within herself about who to worship, and how many of the things in both religion are reminiscent of each other. In the end she comes to the conclusion that she will honor both, because both are responsible for the person she is. What are you're feelings about this?

Hey everyone,

Since as of late there has been a lot of going back and forth regarding religion, I thought I'd see if anyone ever heard of the book entitled, "Voodoo Seasons," by Jewell Parker Rhodes. It was given to me by my stepmother, and the story has a pretty good plot. What stuck out to me in the piece was how there was a conflict within the main character, as well as her ancestors from Haiti with Voodou, and Catholicism. About how the religions merged, though they were different, and similar at the same time. The main character struggles within herself about who to worship, and how many of the things in both religion are reminiscent of each other. In the end she comes to the conclusion that she will honor both, because both are responsible for the person she is. What are you're feelings about this?

Sounds like an interesting read. Could you expound on the struggle aspect of the character?

Two faiths, Two worlds

Sure ok,
So the main character Marie, is a doctor, and for some reason she feels an incredible urge to relocate from all thats she's known to New Orleans. After her mother dies she is passed down her rosary beads that have both the Jesus on the cross, and the Voodou snake god Damballah on it, a clear contradiction, and she didn't understand. After moving she then begins to uncover her roots which explain a lot of the things that she starts experiencing, but her mother raised her in strictly catholicism, as far as she knew, without knowing her deep ancestral Voodou background, or anything about her family. So she battles with the idea, of how to reconcile two faiths, from two different worlds?

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

..........Voodoo Seasons

Hey everyone,

Siren,

Great thread, great topic, below are links to a dialogue with an atheist sometime back which may shed some light here:

http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=466010&postcount=538
http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=466059&postcount=543
http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=466231&postcount=550
http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=466292&postcount=551

There is more if you find this helpfulPeace In my sister friend

Extremely Interesting...

Siren wrote: “About how the religions merged, though they were different, and similar at the same time. What are you're feelings about this?”

Greetings, Siren: And As to Your Very Keen Observation...

If the day ever comes... we have a one-world religion—my bet is: Catholicism will emerge as the designer religion of choice. It combines the priesthood of Judaism—Constantine's Christianity—traditions of men, religious ritual and idolatry worship—exalted doctrines and dogmas... along with cosmology, mysticism and the symbolism of civilizations both past and present. Some reason... the groundwork has already been laid for the masses to merge into a one world religion. Some reason... it is no longer a matter of if... but when.

Be well,

Lokman

“No two beliefs, doctrines, or statements that completely contradict one another can be true at the same time in the same sense. Each can be wrong, but each cannot be right. You see, by its very nature, ' Truth is Exclusive.' Otherwise, truth is all-inclusive and therefore nothing is false. Moreover, if nothing is false, can one say in truth that everything is false? And if everything is false—then what is the meaning of truth?” (The House Of Lokman)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back