Black People Politics : Voluntary Abandonment of Black Children

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Destee, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Voluntary Abandonment of Black Children

Are African Americans ignoring collapse of the family?

In the entire recorded history of the planet, there has never been a greater voluntary abandonment of men from their children than there is today in black America. Never.

I mean, when men went off to war, they had to go off to war. That wasn't voluntary. But never as great of voluntary abandonment of children by their fathers than in black America today.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Joblessness, jail, death keep many black fathers out of the picture

Idyllic images of African-American fatherhood are very much in the public eye with local artist Cbabi Bayoc churning out one such painting every day this year. But in the real picture, black fathers are often missing.

In St. Louis city, 70 percent of African-American children (and half of all children) live in households with no father, according to St. Louis’ Fathers’ Support Center.

If they’d just get their acts together, the problem of absent black fathers would be solved, right? Wrong, according to Washington University social work professor Darrell Hudson.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Sis. Destee, after reading the articles, I felt as though someone had kicked me straight in the stomach. The context of the information evoked a storm of different emotions in me--sadness, anger, frustration, exhaustion and hopelessness. You could take this thread and maybe add a handful of others, and they would constitute the foundation for almost every discussion had here and I've been a member for over 10 years. This topic is also being discussed in my real community and has been for many years, as well.

Are the solutions to the problems among the Black community too daunting...so impossible to overcome...that no matter what Black people do, it's useless and futile? It's a scarey thought when you consider it. There is so much INTELLIGENCE among us, but do we have courage too? I mean on a massive scale? Or are most of us selfish and only think of ourselves on an individual basis? Or maybe are the majority of us are IGNORANT and just don't give a [email protected]

The dichotomy between the two articles is compelling. No meaningful conversation about Black people can be had without including a serious and factual discussion of RACISM. Studies and articles like O'Reilly's are quick to point to the numbers, but the numbers alone don't tell the WHOLE story. Glaringly absent is any mention of RACISM and it's long-term affects as being the probable cause (not shocked) and how can you have a conversation about Black people that makes sense without a discussion of that?

I apologize if this sounds like a rant. I was deeply moved by what I read here along with other articles I read this week such as, Marriage has different meaning for Blacks and Whites.

Thanks Des for providing a venue in which to vent. :heart:

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Funny you should start this thread the day after i over heard one of the most troubling things i've ever heard a father say to his children.

The brother was asking a female to hold some $$ and she was like 'no, all you're going to do is drink it up'. He kept begging her, all the while there are 3 kids playing in the street behind her. They start to argue about her giving him some $$ as she declined again, as i was walking by and said excuse me. THen, as i passed one of the kids said: 'daddy are you coming with us'? THis fool replies with "NO, I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO BE AROUND YA'LL"! I spun around real quick to look this idiot in his eyes just to see what the hell he was thinking and then took a quick peak at the kids reaction to what they had just heard their father tell them. I mean, the woman was probably right about him spending the $$ on alcohol because he must have been drunk already to say some stupid ish like that....

I mean, i get the fact that he probably caught a domestic case and now has a restraining order on him by the woman he was talking to. But, i mean you're standing right next to her and about 3-5 feet away from your 3 kids, so how confusing must it be for these 3 children to hear that when you're right there AROUND THEM..! and really, he said it like he was proud of it or something! Now that i think of it the female didn't even check him on what he had just said. It's almost as if neither one of them could see the impact that could have on a child. He literrally has convinced himself to abandon his children and seems happy to do so as he hopped in his friends car and they drove away and he didn't even tell the kids bye.

:eeek:

5. lani82

lani82 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I often wonder how my own child's father can live his life without being the least bit concerned about his child- what goes on in his mind? What is so powerful that it could cause a man to run from the most precious thing in the world? Its so mind boggling to me. As a people we just cannot sit around and play the blame game anymore - I definitely agree with the 1st article - we as a people need to get ourselves together. It is not "the white man's " responsibility to keep OUR families together....

6. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    What exactly do you mean Black people are abandoning their children? I want to know what I'm talking about before I make a comment.....

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    sigh

This is a blatant lie

Black Relationships : ADDRESSING THE MYTH OF FATHERLESS HOMES

8. lani82

lani82 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

I referenced that thread because it has an article that states, most BM dont abandon their children at all. There were two studies that said as much

10. Love Goddess

Love Goddess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +54
    We have to learn how to not fall into the trap of their statistics. Do we have problems? Of course we do. And it's going to take some time to get ourselves together. We have to crawl before we walk. For the most part, the brothers I know are present in their children's lives. I have seen many great examples of black fathers over the years and I think that deserves our attention as well.

This is not about blaming the white man. But really, therein lies most of our problems. If they would take their foot off of our necks and leave us to our own devices, we would flourish. But we can't ever fully recuperate because the oppression never stops. And for all the black people with their good jobs and house that think otherwise? All I have to say is wait a minute until the occupy wallstreet folks really lose their jobs. I find that we are all too quick to come down on our own people because some got educated and some successfully integrated into the white man's system. We tend to forget about our brothers and sisters that are still fighting hard to get out of the bondage. We have to be more supportive. Stop isolating ourselves from our people. If you've made it, reach back and teach another. If one doesn't want to be taught, then teach someone else. When you get a good job, bring some of your people with you. Instead you see us hoarding over others to say "look I made it". It has to stop. Get away from the white man's thinking and get back to thinking like an African. As intellectual as some black people are and it seems that sometimes that very intellect can be blinding. Look around, what do YOU see? Forget the statistics. If you have a friend or family member who's not being a good father, then talk to them. Encourage them to do better. And this starts with the mothers too. I've seen many black mothers who condone bad behavior from their sons. Black mothers I know you love your sons, but they are not your surrogate husbands, okay? WE are the ones we have been waiting for. Not the white man, not Jesus, but US. We are the Gods/Goddesses. So let's show our youth that example.

Peace and Love