African Traditional Religion : Vodun: The Seven African Powers

images
Mami Wata as Saint Barbara​

The Gullah
The “Gullah” is a name given to slaves who were brought to the South to work on the plantations. They came from places that are now known as Angola, Gambia, Liberia, Nigeria, and Senegal. They brought their folklore, traditions, and beliefs with them. Gullahs practice a unique blend of Christianity, herbalism (herbal medicine), and folk magic (some call this black magic or hoodoo, also known as Lowcountry Voodoo). Many of the descendents of these men and women still call the lowcountry home.
Gullah history, folklore, beliefs, traditions, recipes, and more can be found in my titles,Lowcountry Voodoo and Coastal South Carolina.
If you’re interested in visiting the Lowcountry and learning more about the Gullah…
Sites & Insights Tours offers Black History and Porgy & Bess Tours. These include stories of the Gullah culture and visits to Emanuel A.M.E. Church, Catfish Row, Old Slave Mart Museum, City Market, Site of Hanging Tree, and more. They also offer Sea Island Tours, which shares Gullah culture and takes visitors to James Island, Johns Island, Angel Oak, Burn Churchyard Cemetery, and more. www.sitesandinsights.com
http://terrancezepke.com/ghost-stuff/the-gullah/

Author’s Note: I grew up listening to my great aunts tell stories about hoodoo, but they called it lowcountry voodoo and took it quite seriously. Whenever I got to asking too many questions, I was told, “Hush, child. You’ll stir up the evil spirits.” I never put much stock in any of that stuff until I began researching this book. The more I learned, the more reverent I became. I want to be clear that the purpose of this book is not to poke fun at the subject matter nor take it too seriously for I am not an expert on the subject. That is why the book is subtitled: A Beginner’s Guide to Tales, Spells and Boo Hags. This book is exactly what it says it is. It is meant for anyone who wants to learn more about how lowcountry voodoo or hoodoo came to exist, if it is still practiced, and some remarkable tales about witch doctors, spells, bugaloos, boo hags, haints, plateyes, and more. If you decide to attempt any of the spells or charms or rituals discussed herein, be advised that you are doing so at your own risk!
*****MIDWEST BOOK REVIEW
Voodoo is something that has to be studied to be truly understood. “Lowcountry Voodoo: Beginner’s Guide to Tales, Spells, and Boo Hags” looks into this folk magic, still sporadically practiced in the Southern United States, in particular South Carolina’s lowcountry. Terrance Zepke brings readers into the myths and legends of voodoo, exploring its superstitions and how some of it can be applied to even those who don’t place their faith in the voodoo. “Lowcountry Voodoo” shouldn’t be missed by those with an interest in the American occult.

http://terrancezepke.com/lowcountry-voodoo-tales-spells-and-boo-hags/

ANA ISA "PIE" or "PYE"

Anaisa is one of the most famous and loved spirits or loa of the 21 divisions. Her feast/Birthday is on July 26th. Since she is the spiritual wife or partner of Belie Belcan (San Miguel) in all Dominican Voodoo or Voodun one would normally find Images of Saint Anne, Santa Ana or Anaisa Pie (Pye) next to the image of San Miguel, (St.Michael) the arch angel.
In her spiritual form when mounting a �caballo� she is a very flirtatious and feminine metresa (metreza). In the Dominican Culture she is known as the spiritual queen of Love when she takes possession and normally arrives with great laughter and �routyness�. Her Colors are yellow and Bright Golds. When she arrives she puts on her �Fula�, �Panuelo� or (Kerchief) which would be a yellow or bright gold color.
After she dresses herself in the gold and yellow colors she will normally request some perfume and she drenches herself from head to toe and then back up.Afterwards, she ask for beer which is her drink of choice. And then she will ask for a cigarette and after this she is ready to consult. She loves to dance, laugh, drink and smoke. She loves everything regarding happiness, her parties or "fiestas de palo" are full of color and flowers.
http://www.santeriareligion101.com/

Some people consider Cachita to be one of her "puntos" (or incarnations).

Oshun, or Ochun (pronounced [ɔʃún]) in the Yoruba religion, is an Orisha who reigns over love, intimacy, beauty, wealth and diplomacy. She is worshipped also in Brazilian Candomblé Ketu, with the name spelled Oxum. She should not be confused, however, with a different Orisha of a similar name spelled "Osun," who is the protector of the Ori, or our heads and inner souls. ochun relates mostly to woman but also man.
Ọṣhun is beneficent, generous and very kind. She does, however, have a horrific temper, one which she seldom ever loses. When she does, it causes untold destruction. Oshun is said to have gone to a drum festival one day and to have fallen in love with the king-dancer Shango, Undergod of lightning & thunder. Since that day, Shango has been married to Oba, Oya, and Oshun, though Oshun is said to be considered his principal wife.
n Cuban Santería, Oshun (sometimes spelled Ochún or Ochun) is an Orisha of love, maternity and marriage. She has been syncretized withOur Lady of Charity (La Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre), Cuba's patroness. She is associated with the color yellow, metal brass,[1] peacock feathers, mirrors, honey and anything of beauty, her principal day of the week is Saturday and the number she is associated with is 5. She is the river goddess
In one of the stories featuring her, she is forced to become a prostitute to feed her children and the other Orishas subsequently removed her children from her home while she was away, apparently planning to use them as slaves. Oshun is then said to have gone mad with grief and to have worn the same white dress every day as a symbol of this madness; it eventually turned yellow. Ajé-Shaluga, another river Orisha, fell in love with her while she was washing the dress in a frenzied state one day. He gave her money and gems, which he collected from the bottom of the river he lived in. She used these items to liberate her children, and ultimately married her kindly benefactor.
Oshun has had many husbands. Different tales attribute husbands to her, including Erinle, Oshosi, Orisha Oko, and Aje'-Shaluga. She is also the sexual partner of , Shango and Ogun at different points.
Her children include the Ibeji twins, Idowu, and Logun Ede.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochun

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back