Vitamin D

ru2religious

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 10, 2008
Your Health: Skin color matters in the vitamin D debate

Can dark skin be a health hazard? It might be — if you are a dark-skinned person who lives far from the equator, gets little sun exposure and consumes little vitamin D.

That describes many African Americans and helps explain why studies find that average African-American children and adults have much lower blood levels of the vitamin than white Americans do. Vitamin D is produced in response to sun exposure in a process that works most efficiently in pale skin. It's also in fortified dairy products and fatty fish, but few Americans — of any skin color — consume enough of those foods to meet recommendations.

AT RISK: Low levels of vitamin D can increase chances of premature death
VITAMIN D IN KIDS: Pediatricians say children need more

Just how much vitamin D Americans need and how they should get it is under debate. Scientists also are debating evidence that vitamin D, best known for building bones, can lower the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and other ailments.

And they are asking this intriguing question: Could varying vitamin D levels contribute to the health gap between black and white Americans?

Boston University professor Michael Holick, a leading vitamin D researcher, says yes: "We think it's why African Americans develop more prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer and get more aggressive forms of those cancers."

John Flack, principal investigator at the Center for Urban and African American Health at Wayne State University, Detroit, says: "I think it's potentially a very important explanation for some of the differences, from hypertension to cancer to heart failure. The actual proof is not there, but it's plausible."

But Flack adds that many factors contribute to African Americans' poorer health. Studies suggest those factors include reduced access to health care, pervasive barriers to healthful living (for example, neighborhoods that lack fresh groceries), differences in income and education and the stress of racial inequality itself.

Solving those problems will be difficult, he says. Closing the vitamin D gap could be easier.

It won't be as easy as recommending more sun exposure, however. Though someone in Boston with pale skin can get adequate vitamin D by exposing their arms and legs to the sun for 10 to 15 minutes twice a week in the summer, someone with the darkest skin might need two hours of exposure each time, Holick says. "It's impractical," he says, and it also darkens skin, which many people find cosmetically unacceptable.

Dermatologists also warn that sun exposure increases the risk of skin cancer and wrinkling, even in dark-skinned people.

How much is enough?

Holick endorses "sensible, limited sun exposure" but says it's also time to recommend that everyone, regardless of skin color, take a daily vitamin D supplement of at least 1,000 international units (IU).

Not all scientists agree, but an expert panel at the non-profit Institute of Medicine is reviewing recommended daily intakes, now at 200 IU for people up to age 50, 400 IU for people ages 51 to 70 and 600 IU for those over age 70. An 8-ounce glass of fortified milk contains 100 IU.

"All Americans, but particularly people with darker skin, should pay attention" to new guidelines due next year, says Adit Ginde, a researcher at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine. Ginde led a recent study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, that found that vitamin D levels are falling in all racial groups but are especially low in African Americans.

--------------------------------------------------------

Peace

Ru2religious

of course

."All Americans, but particularly people with darker skin, should pay attention" to new guidelines due next year, says Adit Ginde, a researcher at the University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine.

see last time i checked black people where doing fine, they're actually
telling you to watch out WE SHOULD PAY ATTENTION

AND PAY ATTENTION WE SHOULD AND NOT FALL FOR THIS GIMMICK

Not all scientists agree,

see so somebody comes along with a "fix" and i don't trust it because

especially anytime they say watch out black people

that's what you better do brethren WATCH OUT

:hi:

see last time i checked black people where doing fine, they're actually
telling you to watch out WE SHOULD PAY ATTENTION

AND PAY ATTENTION WE SHOULD AND NOT FALL FOR THIS GIMMICK

see so somebody comes along with a "fix" and i don't trust it because

especially anytime they say watch out black people

that's what you better do brethren WATCH OUT

:hi:

Real talk - lol

Peace

Ru2religious

Interesting that I found this

I was going to send a thread about my doctor visit when I found this. I find it hard to ignore doctors. With that said, my doctor is saying because my Vitamin D levels are so low (normal is 32-100 and I'm at 13), I need to start taking 50,000 units of VitD2 (ergocalciferol) 3 times a week for 4 weeks and then 50,000 units for 8 weeks after which I need another blood test to see if my levels are up. I want to EAT enough food to do this. Im not interested in cod liver oil..LOL So if anyone has any other suggestions so I dont have to take all these pills...I'd appreciate it. The other reason I dont want to take the pills....I cant afford it since Im not working. Thanks

Your Health: Skin color matters in the vitamin D debate

Can dark skin be a health hazard? It might be — if you are a dark-skinned person who lives far from the equator, gets little sun exposure and consumes little vitamin D.

That describes many African Americans and helps explain why studies find that average African-American children and adults have much lower blood levels of the vitamin than white Americans do. Vitamin D is produced in response to sun exposure in a process that works most efficiently in pale skin. It's also in fortified dairy products and fatty fish, but few Americans — of any skin color — consume enough of those foods to meet recommendations.

AT RISK: Low levels of vitamin D can increase chances of premature death
VITAMIN D IN KIDS: Pediatricians say children need more

Just how much vitamin D Americans need and how they should get it is under debate. Scientists also are debating evidence that vitamin D, best known for building bones, can lower the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and other ailments.

And they are asking this intriguing question: Could varying vitamin D levels contribute to the health gap between black and white Americans?

Boston University professor Michael Holick, a leading vitamin D researcher, says yes: "We think it's why African Americans develop more prostate cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer and get more aggressive forms of those cancers."

John Flack, principal investigator at the Center for Urban and African American Health at Wayne State University, Detroit, says: "I think it's potentially a very important explanation for some of the differences, from hypertension to cancer to heart failure. The actual proof is not there, but it's plausible."

But Flack adds that many factors contribute to African Americans' poorer health. Studies suggest those factors include reduced access to health care, pervasive barriers to healthful living (for example, neighborhoods that lack fresh groceries), differences in income and education and the stress of racial inequality itself.

Solving those problems will be difficult, he says. Closing the vitamin D gap could be easier.

It won't be as easy as recommending more sun exposure, however. Though someone in Boston with pale skin can get adequate vitamin D by exposing their arms and legs to the sun for 10 to 15 minutes twice a week in the summer, someone with the darkest skin might need two hours of exposure each time, Holick says. "It's impractical," he says, and it also darkens skin, which many people find cosmetically unacceptable.

Dermatologists also warn that sun exposure increases the risk of skin cancer and wrinkling, even in dark-skinned people.

How much is enough?

Holick endorses "sensible, limited sun exposure" but says it's also time to recommend that everyone, regardless of skin color, take a daily vitamin D supplement of at least 1,000 international units (IU).

Not all scientists agree, but an expert panel at the non-profit Institute of Medicine is reviewing recommended daily intakes, now at 200 IU for people up to age 50, 400 IU for people ages 51 to 70 and 600 IU for those over age 70. An 8-ounce glass of fortified milk contains 100 IU.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back