Vitamin D Insufficiency Linked To Asthma In African-American Kids

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007

March 22, 2010

Researchers have discovered that African American children with asthma in metropolitan Washington, DC, are significantly more likely to have low levels of vitamin D than healthy African American children.

The findings of this recent study supports previous research that suggests vitamin D plays a greater role in the body than just keeping bones healthy. Scientists and medical professionals have linked Vitamin D deficiency to numerous non-bone related diseases including depression, autoimmune disorders, and now asthma.

Vitamin D insufficiency is more prevalent among African Americans than other Americans and, in North America, most young, healthy blacks do not achieve optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations at any time of year. Researchers say it is primarily due to the fact that pigmentation in their skin reduces the amount of vitamin D produced in the skin.

Robert Freishtat, MD, MPH who led the study which is published in the Journal of Pediatrics says, ?It?s been well-documented that as a group, African Americans are more likely than other racial groups to have low levels of vitamin D. READ MORE

March 22, 2010

Researchers have discovered that African American children with asthma in metropolitan Washington, DC, are significantly more likely to have low levels of vitamin D than healthy African American children.

The findings of this recent study supports previous research that suggests vitamin D plays a greater role in the body than just keeping bones healthy. Scientists and medical professionals have linked Vitamin D deficiency to numerous non-bone related diseases including depression, autoimmune disorders, and now asthma.

Vitamin D insufficiency is more prevalent among African Americans than other Americans and, in North America, most young, healthy blacks do not achieve optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations at any time of year. Researchers say it is primarily due to the fact that pigmentation in their skin reduces the amount of vitamin D produced in the skin.

Robert Freishtat, MD, MPH who led the study which is published in the Journal of Pediatrics says, “It’s been well-documented that as a group, African Americans are more likely than other racial groups to have low levels of vitamin D. READ MORE

be careful of studies like this. from what i have heard from dr. oz to the "brain doctor" a lack of vitamin d can also be linked to a lack of sunlight. if we believe that its linked to pigmentation and choose to get less sunlight instead of more we would become even more deficient.

washington, d.c. area. contrast the climate in d.c. to southern cali or south beach, or the caribbean.

i am willing to bet that black folks become more vitamin d deficient the urther north we migrate.

peace!

be careful of studies like this. from what i have heard from dr. oz to the "brain doctor" a lack of vitamin d can also be linked to a lack of sunlight. if we believe that its linked to pigmentation and choose to get less sunlight instead of more we would become even more deficient.

washington, d.c. area. contrast the climate in d.c. to southern cali or south beach, or the caribbean.

i am willing to bet that black folks become more vitamin d deficient the urther north we migrate.

peace!

Then I definitely have a Vitamin D deficiency being that I am from the Pacific North West and here the sun baaaaarely shines. And I mean barely.

peace!

this is from the wikipedia,

While dark skin better preserves vitamin B (folate), it can also lead to vitamin D deficiency at higher latitudes, which in turn can cause fatal cancers affecting the colon, lung, and prostate. Dark-skinned people are also at higher risk for rickets, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and multiple sclerosis.[7] An American study by the USDA found 87% of African Americans to be Vitamin D deficient.[8] To address this issue, some countries have programs to ensure fortification of milk with vitamin D.

http://www.destee.com/forums/showthread.php?p=634683

I happen to like Sardines. So I eat some a few times a month.

I also prepare Salmon or Mackerel Croquettes and I eat Tuna as well.

For me, I don't think I lack any Vitamin D.

But as a people, we do need to be informed about our diets and which foods naturally provide vitamins and nutrients for healthy living.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back