Black Sports : Vitali Klitschko, the new champ by default...a white hope delivers.

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Apr 26, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    For the last 70 years blacks have dominated the heavyweight division. Indeed there has not been a white champion since Ingemar Johansson knocked out Floyd Paterson in 1959 (he was knocked out in a rematch between the two). For over 40 years, blacks have dominated the heavyeight division, and boxing in general. It is one of the reasons I feel that boxing has decreased in popularity. During this time whites have been looking for a potential champion, a "white hope" that could beat the best black men in boxing. This past saturday a white man finally became the universally recognized heavyweight champion. However this victory did not sit well with me. First he was fighting another white man for the title (a 38 year old who was not the best in the division), so the victory of a white man was assured. Second Vitali Klitschko has emerged as the great fighters of the 90s (Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bower, Michael Moorer, Ray Mercer, Mike Tyson), are either retired or past thier prime. Some of the best new guys: Audley Harrison, Malcom Tann, Juan Carlos Gomez, etc. are just beginning their careers. And the current top fighters: Hasim Rahman, David Tua, John Ruiz, Chris Byrd....are some of the most mediocre boxers I have ever seen. I am not impressed at all with Vitali Klitschko's ability, but it appears he might reign for a little while because of a lack of quality opponents. He is truly the champ by default.

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    True dat Brother Pan

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Vitali Klitschko's best fight was a TKO loss to Lennox Lewis. When your best fight is a "competitive" loss, it doesn't speak well for you. He also quit in the ring against Chris Byrd (the IBF champ)I see him as a very beatable fighter. His biggest advantage is not his boxing ability, but his height. I even think his power is over-rated. I anxious await his defeat!

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Hey Pan, that is a very good point. I didn't now Chris Byrd beat him. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info. You're 100% right on this one brotha. What do you think of Roy Jones fighting him. He's probably too small to fight him don't you think?

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    In terms of style & boxing ability, Vitali Klitschko doesn't belong in the same league with Roy Jones. Pound for Pound I even think Roy Jones punches harder than Vitali. Unfortunately Klitschko has too much of a size advantage (6'8" to 5'11") over Jones, so I don't think he could win this match-up.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i agree totally with you on that the size make a different
    but ROY pack a much harder punch for sure