Black People : Visa Fraud

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dstny, Apr 24, 2005.

1. dstny

dstny Well-Known Member MEMBER

May 27, 2004
    Thought you might like to keep this in mind and/or pass on. Should always check at the source as companies and businesses don't usually call us anyway.

By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam
    works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. Thanks to Dr. Pat
    Cloney for passing this on. Those con artists get more creative every day.

My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on
    Thursday from "MasterCard". The scam works like this:

Person calling says, "this is , and I'm calling from the Security and
    Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been
    flagged for an unusual purchase pattern. Did you purchase an
    Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in

When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a
    credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the
    charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that
    flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent
    (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues... "I will be starting a Fraud
    Investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1-800 number
    listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You
    will need to refer to this Control #" The caller then gives you a 6 digit
    number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, "he
    needs to verify you are in possession of your card". He'll ask you to
    "turn your card over and look! for some numbers. There are 7 numbers; the
    first 4 are your card number, the next 3 are the 'Security Numbers' that
    verify you are in possession of the card.

These are the numbers you use to make Internet purchases to prove you have
    the card. Read me the 3 numbers". After you tell the caller the 3
    numbers, he'll say," That is correct. I just needed to verify that the
    card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card.

Do you have any other questions?" After you say no, the caller then thanks
    you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card
    number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20
    minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security
    Department told us it was a scam and in the last

15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged on our card.

Long story made short, we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA
    card, and they are reissuing us a new number. What the scammers wants is
    the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card.

Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card

The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as
    they already know the information since they issued the card!

If you give the scammers your 3-Digit PIN Number, you think you're
    receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement, you'll
    see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too
    late and/or harder to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a
    "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA
    scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police
    report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of
    these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that
    this scam is happening.

Please pass this on to all your friends. By informing each other, we
    protect each other. Thank you.
  2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Aug 24, 2002
    +194 / -0
    I'm sorry this happened to you dstny, but I do thing you for sharing this information.
  3. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Feb 9, 2001
    +17 / -0

sorry this happened and this info was very helpful. I'm glad I got rid of my credit cards years ago...
  4. Steve69

Steve69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Jan 18, 2005
    Interesting post. Thanks for the info
  5. Kingpin

Kingpin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Feb 11, 2005
    Thank you

Thank you very very much for this information I am sure in light of todays economic status that this will go a long way to help a lot of people!!!

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Dec 26, 2003
    +15 / -0
    Similar strategy...criminals are getting tricky.

Friday morning I arrived at work in an exceptionally good mood. As soon as I arrived I called down to my favorite little cafe to order a Parma Egg Sandwich and a Chai Tea. I was informed that they no longer serve breakfast items. Bummed, I went about my morning organizing my office for the day.

The Corporate Express guy showed up with our supplies and was smiling so hard at me that he dropped everything off his cart in the hallway. I had been going through my purse looking for my credit card, so that I could activate my new visa that replaced the old one. Once I found it I realized I had to be home to activate so I put my purse in it's usual drawer and proceeded to help the CE guy pick up his mess on the floor. After we unloaded the supplies for my department, I signed my signature confirming receipt of the items and the CE guy left.

I spent then next 20 minutes going back and forth from my office to the store room just 5 office doors away. I was trying to hurry so I could order an omelette before 10:00am when the Market Cafe stopped serving breakfast. When I finally got done it was 10:07 am. I settled down at my desk disappointed that I would not have breakfast but decided that since I am under my budget I'd splurge on something tasty for lunch.

The phone at my desk rang at 10:16am. The phone call was transferred from our main switchboard. The stranger claimed to be calling me from my Credit Union.

Caller: Are you Carrie B.?
    Me: Yes.
    Caller: Do you reside at (my address), Seattle 98118?
    Me: Yes
    Caller: Your home phone is 206-555-0108?
    Me: Yes
    Caller: Hello Ms B. my name is Craig Barton and I am calling from your credit union. I am calling from our fraud department. Someone put in a request over the internet to change your PIN number for your Visa check card. We are calling you today to verify that you put this request in. You are on a recorded line and will need to speak up.
    Me: I did not put in a request to change my PIN number.
    Caller: What do you want us to do maam?
    Me: Leave my PIN alone, I've had the same PIN for 9 years.
    Caller: Well maam, we cant do that. We've already changed it, my supervisor just wanted me to call you to see if you really requested this change. The person who requested this change had your social security number, that is why we thought it was you.
    Me: Hmmm, well if they have my soc #, I'm a little worried about my account period. Maybe I should just close my account and come over to the bank and talk in person. *part of me is wondering at this point if this is a prank call or someone I know*
    Caller: Well I can give you the new PIN number. It's 1697, please repeat that back to me and speak up, you're on a recorded line.
    Me: The new PIN number is 1697.
    Caller: The confirmation number is #X74126A, please repeat that back to me. And speak up, you are still on a recorded line.
    Me: Conf. # is X74126A.
    Caller: Okay, I just need you to give me the old PIN number so I can cancel it.
    Me: I will not be doing that. I dont even know you, I'm not even sure where you are calling from. I'm actually very irritated with this call. What is your name again? *then I jot down the number that was on my caller ID*
    Caller: *chuckles* Maam I understand your concern. My name is Craig Phillers.
    Me: I thought you said Craig Barton? Look Craig, I will just go across the street to the credit union and talk to you all in person.
    Caller: How long will it take you to get to the bank?
    Me: What the hell? It will take me just ONE minute. *I hang up the phone.*

That phone call freaked me out. So I called my credit union and ask if there is a Craig working there. I'm told they only have 12 employees working and there is no one named Craig. I told them about the phone call and asked if anyone's tried to change my PIN number. They assured me that my account is fine and that no one has called them. I hang up the phone very puzzled.

Just then a vendor comes up. She starts telling me how she brought brownies for the entire department. I was directly the vendor to our lounge so she could leave the brownies, I wasn't paying a lot of attention since I really wanted to go to the credit union. I was barely listening to her as I backed my chair up from my desk and open the drawer where my purse is...only to realize that it was unlocked, and that my purse was GONE!! The man on the phone took my purse and had the audacity to call me trying to get me to reveal my PIN number to him.

I immediately call my bank back. I told them what happened and asked to stop any possibility of my bank card being used. They told me I was too late and that a charge had just been made 20 minutes ago...but that they could stop any further charges. I then called the police and was put on hold. I was crying so hard I could not complete the phone call. My co-workers had come to see what was going on and one of them continued waiting for a police officer to come to the phone. Another co-worker called security. I got on my computer and looked up my credit card accounts so I could get phone numbers to call and cancel those cards. By the time I got through to the first card, the thieves had already charged gas 3 times at a 98102 zip code. That was pretty close to my job! By the time I got through to the 2nd card, they'd ran that card up to the limit. By this time I was down right hysterical, crying so hard I could not control it.

I could not believe this had happened in less than an hour's time. I could not believe this crook was bold enough to call me on the phone! I could not believe the police told me they would TRY to get an officer to call me back no later than 2pm when it was just 11:15am?? WHAT THE HECK? I called my grammy to tell her that I was having someone come out and change the locks on the house. I was seriously freaked out!

I can't begin to tell you how much this hurts me. It is not the worst crime that could happen, but I just feel so vulnerable and lost. Many of the items in my purse can't be replaced. Normally I lock my purse away as soon as I get in, but I was sidetracked by trying to help the CE guy and completely forgot to lock the drawer. My office does not have a door, it just has a gate that is locked at night after I leave.

I expect the crime rate to increase 10 fold as long as Bush is in office.