Black Education / Schools : Video: No Child Left Behind?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by river, Jan 29, 2011.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I could not understand all of what he said but I got the gist.
    What do you think?

2. TXDiamond

TXDiamond Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    The PS system is only thinking about the money when they give a child an "I" instead of a "D" or an "F". What they are doing is covering up the fact that they are not teaching your child. They do not want to lose that government money. Besides, they already have low expectation for a Black child (especially our sons). IMHO, I feel they really don't want Black children to succeed.

3. umbrarchist

umbrarchist Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    Here is an option:

Project Gutenberg has free books, here is one:

Badge of Infamy, by Lester del Rey
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19471/19471-h/19471-h.htm

But some of these books have been converted into free AUDIO BOOKS by Librivox.

http://librivox.org/badge-of-infamy-by-lester-del-rey/

So a child can follow along in the text while the computer reads the book to her or him. If the parent can get them started then they can begin picking up the words as they go along.

So with a CHEAP computer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCHHAFyp9I0

More and more articles are appearing of schools supplying the kids with netbooks. Usually these are well healed schools and they are talking about $400 machines at a school with wireless networking and maybe their own IT staff.

It is not how powerful the computer is. It is what you do with it. Let the White kids read Shakespeare on their netbooks. Science fiction on the Sylvania is better. Get reading and science together. Actually those humanities people are down on science anyway. LOL They even select the wrong science fiction.

We depend on the schools too much.

um

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    That is exactly what the GOP, and Democrat White Supremists in fed and state gov are telling Black folks,

that they should expect nothing but foreign wars for their taxes!

Too dependant on schools?

That reminds me of the guy who saw a woman hit by a car and seriously unjured at 3 in the morning,
    in an isolated area, and desided to use his cell phone to be a good samaritan and call an ambulance

but he came up with the same solution, also,
    so he cancelled the ambulance call,
    reached in his pocket and gave the dieing woman a bandaid and said

"You know you people depend on hospitals too much",
    then
    gave her his Ipad, with a list of some websites for first aid

and left her there!

Maybe a million parents in each and every state,
    need to unify and get out in the streets like folks in Kemet and demand somehign substanial for their tax dollars

If the president will listent to them over there then he would hae to listen to 50 million US citizens over here.

5. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    Well I am forced to avoid using that language I would like to. I don't know what the banning policies are here.

Comparing an iPad to a hospital is absurd. You don't just get information from hospitals.

But these netbooks and tablets are more powerful than the mainframe that I submitted my FORTRAN programs at an expensive engineering school in the 1970s.

I say the White folks sending their kids to what most regard as good schools that give the kids netbooks are not doing what these machines are capable of. That was proven in Vero Beach Florida in 1987 and Intel did not introduce the 486 until 1989.

6. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    Here is the link to the Vero Beach high school 1987 incident.

http://www.cris.com/~faben1/section1.shtml

They put at-risk students on computers and the "EDUCATORS" didn't object because those students were too much trouble. But in a few months those students who were behind did better on the GED tests than students who graduated in a normal manner.

We don't accept how much schools are really designed to sabotage kids and make them conform and that is why so many drop out.

um

7. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    So the concern is more for the technology

then for the African American parents that cannot afford it?

And the tax dollars they pay for schools and have been payin since their children were born should go to

what?

8. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    The technology is not important in and of itself. The technology is only a TOOL!

I didn't bring up the iPad, you did. I consider it overpriced junk.

But school is really just a TOOL also. The objective is to get RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE into children's minds. But who decides what that relevant knowledge is? The schools are controlled by the Palefaces. We compared Romeo and Juliet to West Side Story in English Lit class in high school. I have not heard anyone make that comparison since then in my entire life. But no one suggested that EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ACCOUNTING either. I don't even know if my high school taught the subject. Maybe they called it BOOKKEEPING. Who needs bookkeepers when we have computers?

But I don't have control over what the government does with our education tax dollars and I doubt that you do either. Getting them to spend the money better would probably involve years of political infighting. But all of that time Black kids would be getting older and having their time wasted while more kids are being born. Considering that you must be using a computer to access this site I find your attitude about technology ironic.

I tried responding to your post two days ago with the CVS Sylvania. This site has lots of animated smileys that use up a lot of CPU power so I turned animations of. It worked while I typed the post but when I tried to preview it locked up. I lost everything I had typed. A $100 computer has limitations, I do not dispute that. But if the choice is a $100 computer or no portable computer what is the problem? An inexpensive but powerful computer at home is possible. A used dual-core is probably less than $250 today.

The problem is KNOWING WHAT TO DO WITH TECHNOLOGY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCHHAFyp9I0

Just using it as an e-book reader is a pretty good idea.

Black Man's Burden
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32390/32390-h/32390-h.htm
    Border, Breed Nor Birth
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/30639/30639-h/30639-h.htm

Sure, wait for the White people to dribble out information even when they do what they call teaching.

It has been NINE YEARS since 9/11. Do you think skyscrapers can hold themselves up and withstand the wind without the designers figuring out how much steel and concrete to put on every level?

When have you heard that discussed about the towers in NINE YEARS? The NIST produced 10,000 pages on the subject.

Oh yeah, that is education alright.

um

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    God bless you brother
    but my focus is not tecnology but,
    is in regards to No Child Left Behind, and the jive race to the top

and yes power gives up nothing without a struggle, if it takes years then so what,
    we are talking about the future of our children

so what could be more important then that?????????????????,

infact it is the white supremists that encourage Black parents to be apathetic and not make demands,
    in fact right here in Brooklyn the Ocean Hill Brownsville school boycotts in the 60s, did not take years and just like the Birmingham bus boycotts,
    had a serious and powerful impact.

Either we make demands or form our own Black community funded schools!!!!

10. umbrarchist

United States
    Ratings:
    +100
    I am afraid this technology has made education as we have known it obsolete. But the fact of the matter is that education is really only 130 years old. Mass education did not start until the 1880s. Good cheap computers didn't turn up until 1990. So on a large scale NOBODY has really figured out what to do with them as education machines.

But lets face it. Not very long ago a set of Encyclopedia Britannica cost $1000. Now that $100 computer that some people regard as junk can store those encyclopedia on an SD Card about the size of a Quarter.

Black Americans should be concentrating on how to use this technology better than the palefaces because the fact of the matter is most of the White teachers are probably worried about what the tech might do to their jobs. I mostly don't trust them to tell me what good books are. They will implement the technology in a way to serve THEIR PURPOSES.

um