Black Women : Video: Black DOLLS - how girls see themselves through the generation

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by dustyelbow, Nov 7, 2007.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
  2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Through time black dolls was made through the image of themselves compared to today's time and the dolls made in Factories.

3. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +220
    Wow, fascinating!

I was born in 63 and I can’t recall ever seeing a black Barbie doll with black features. Any black doll I owned was simply a white Barbie painted black. I would enjoy experiencing an exhibit like that.

With today’s cosmetic wonders of thick lips, hips, buttocks and paint on tans, white Barbie will eventually evolve into the image of authentic black dolls. Which make such collections priceless in many ways.

Its important to share information like this.

Thanks
    Coco

4. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hello cocobutterskyn;

In the early 80's I started buying the Barbie dolls for my God-daughter. I mean I bought everything and everyone of then I could get my hands on, for earthdays, x-mas, or even if i just thought of her..cloths, shoes, cars, houses even Ken.

All this happen before I really came into my enlightenment...and just as I did the company came out with her friend. It was still a Barbie dolls but it was black. Needless to say it quickly became her favorite. I continued to buy that doll for her all the way up to her first day of college..so her collection is quit complete.

Lilpea

5. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +220
    Hello Lilpea!

Was the black barbie painted black or did it have black features as well?

I'm curious about the reaction of little black girls to day if they were to receive an authentic black doll as a gift. Would they think she was pretty?

Another interesting thing about the dolls in the video... they all were dark complexioned. I find that interesting considering there were lighter skin blacks. I wonder if it was because they weren’t permitted to make lighter complexioned dolls back then, or the issues between dark and light skin blacks was a factor.

Coco

6. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343

No one of the first things she did was shorting the hair and gave her a fro...which gave me a smile....the color was good i would say no where near a light skin doll....still had the slim body which was OK because my god-daughter was slim and still is ....runs in the family.

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    What was mind blowing about the collection is that it reflects that we were not trying to imitate white people in features, hair or anything else...in other words, we knew we were black and obviously created dolls that reflected our reality. It equally goes to show how far from ourselves we have fallen. Oh, by the way...a light skin black person back then was not....I repeat, was not trying to hold onto a black image or doll. Remember, they were victims on all levels and image was one of them.