Black People : Victimization vs Mitigating The Damages

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

Is there a balance between victimization and mitigating those damages?

If a victim can change their circumstance, have room to move, make changes, adjust ... and they do not ... what then?

I've heard tell ... that if you see a hole in your roof, the rain is pouring in, you can't just let it flood the whole apartment, ruin all of your stuff ... as you sit and watch the rain pour in ... not bothering to move any of your own stuff out of harm's way ... then call your landlord, tell them of the problem, and how much they owe you for your damaged property. No, you don't get to be a victim to that degree.

Yes, you were a victim of the roof problem, but if you could mitigate those damages, you'll be held responsible to do so.

Is there no like consideration for our situation as a people?

Is there no responsibility on our part, to mitigate our damages, reduce our losses ... as we see the rain pour in?

Thanks in advance Family.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Louis

Louis Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    Ultimately we are all responsible for our actions and behavior. Assumption of responsibility is a requirement for self determination. Let us begin the process of fixing the roof ourselves, while simultaneously petitioning the landlord for redress. If the landlord balks or stalls, at least the roof is fixed, we mitigated the damage, and now we can pursue our case against the landlord in a dry and comfortable environment.

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Ase!

4. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    <sarcasm>

But it is so much easier to play victim .....

So much easier to blame others .....

... even easier to overlook one's own actions by their own hand that creates the negative environment .....

</sarcasm>

5. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Our problems are fundamentally philosophical.

This thread exhibits such.

For truly if someone unethically murders someone else, that murderer is supposed to be punished.

Simply put, ethics is the science of discipline.

So, for instance, if a child misbehaves, we discipline that child. Some may say "change the parent's behavior" but one has to see the end-goal of discipline. Disciplining is not for self-perfection. Your mum didn't lash you to correct herself. No. Disciplining is for the perfection of the child.

So when the child does wrong, the parent sets them right.

Because frankly, regardless of the parent's flaws, if the child is perfectly disciplined, the child will no longer misbehave.

Now, firstly, we can't go from a roof and rain to a group of people. Because a roof goes through natural wearing and people are selectively improper. But if we progress from the child to our situation, we are put to a harder comparison.

Can Europeans be disciplined? Should Europeans be disciplined? Truly, those are the questions.

Because a frank study of history tells you that Europeans can not be disciplined. And if one truly reads the History of Africa, one sees that Africans were minding their business when they were hunted by Europeans. And that story replays.

So to those whom think "blame the victim," how do you blame those Africans literally kidnapped by the Portuguese in the 15th century? How do you reconcile blaming your own ancestors for their enslavement?

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother ABSiblings ... i'm not sure that i understand your train of thot, so i'm going to respond to each sentence, in an attempt to do that.

definition i found ... philosophy : any personal belief about how to live or how to deal with a situation

okay ... now that i know what philosophical / philosophy means ... i must disagree.

Our problems are not fundamentally personal beliefs.

They are very real, tangible forces, with evidence to support, that exists outside of our own personal beliefs.

For example ... i may think justice is fair to all ... but there is evidence that proves otherwise, outside of my personal belief.

okay ... i'll agree ... and go one further ... suggesting that every thread here exhibits such.

absolutely ... i agree ... i'm with you ...

i don't know about the above, but am willing to take your word for it ... okay ... i'm with you ...

now you've lost me ... i don't see how this fits ... though i'm sure it probably does and can ... i just don't see it

in addition ... i don't think it's true, what you're saying above

assuming the parents are the ones parenting, their flaws will absolutely impact the behavior of the child

there is no such thing as a perfect child ... except perhaps in the mind of the so-called perfect child's parent

there is no such thing as perfect discipline, which guarantees a child will no longer misbehave ... i think it's an impossibility

children by their very nature, misbehave ... it is almost synonymous with child ... to misbehave

a child that never misbehaves ... is probably a child that is sick in some other way ... can't move, can't talk, something

you lost me here, as i don't see how this analogy connects to the title and/or topic

i'm still lost ... i'm just not connecting with your analogy ... probably like you aren't connecting with mine

it's okay ... it beez that way sum times ... :)

i'd love a harder, ie better, comparison ... but yours isn't doing it for me ... but i'm kinda slow ... :wink:

I'd imagine ... the only way one can discipline another, is if they have some control or great influence on them.

Using your child analogy ... the only reason a parent can discipline their child, is because they have some authority over that child. The child must do what they say, or suffer the consequence. If you have authority over europeans, then yes, you should be able to discipline them. If you do not have any authority over them, the chances are great that any effort to discipline them will be of no real consequence.

Do you, we, black people, have any authority over europeans? If so, then the answers to your questions are yes.

Again ... you cannot discipline that which you have no control over.

Europeans discipline us ... put us in their prisons ... we don't put them in ours.

Absolutely. I agree.

My position is not about blaming the victim, but empowering the victim.

I don't know what took place in the 15th century, so i can't speak on that.

As it relates to our Ancestors and their enslavement, i am impressed with their ability to move from complete and total human bondage, to even a small semblance of freedom, for without their desire to better their circumstance, we'd probably not be here talking right now. They didn't sit satisfied with their condition. They pushed, fought, and resisted greater binds than we've experienced, breaking free of many of them, so we don't have those same ones to endure. I blame them for nothing. I give them all respect, honor, and appreciation for getting us here ... and i encourage us (those living now) to draw on that same Spirit and energy ... to get the next generations to newer, higher, and more safer ground ... as they did us.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

7. Louis

Louis Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23
    The problem that led to our physical slavery yesterday is not necessarily the same problem that keeps us in mental slavery today. The question of whether Europeans can or should be disciplined must be tabled until such time we as a people develop self-discipline. Self-discipline as it pertains to: how and where we spend our money, who and what we give our time and attention, vetting the beliefs and values that we adopt and pass on to our children, the pursuit of our true identity and place in the universe, etc.

Assuming responsibility for our actions does not release the European from the responsibility of theirs. We must not confuse the word "responsibility" with the word "blame". Our ancestors were not to blame for their enslavement. However, they do share some responsibility for the outcome of the European's actions. To suggest otherwise infers that our enslavement was a foregone conclusion and there is nothing we could have done to prevent it.

While our ancestors may have miscalculated the true intentions of the Europeans, we have no such excuse. After 500 years of the European waging war on African people the lessons should be well ingrained. If we choose to continue waiting for him to "act right" or "behave" humanely toward us, are we not, in part responsible, for the outcome(s)?

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

.......A mouthful is said with these words, especially as it relates to our wealth conciousness.

Peace In,

9. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Destee,

I wrote a bit esoterically (you should never call yourself slow, you're Destee's speed :). To make it clearer, I am pointing out how we do not understand ethics (hence 'philosophical problem'), so we 'knock on the wrong doors, talk to the wrong people, and ask the wrong questions."

For "Justice" acts against "Injustice." And personal responsibility is irrelevant in that equation: the only question.

Because we need to make it clear, what is our goal? The end of injustices. So that's how we go about with the problem at hand.

In your example, there's no 'injustice.' The roof has a hole in it. So of course you fix it. But what's that to do with people? Our problem is that we are suffering from injustices--not that our homes have holes in their roofs. See the difference?

10. Asomfwaa

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I explain to Sister Destee the heart of my communication: We combat injustices.

But that's just it.

So as far as "responsibility" is concerned, our sole responsibility is in 'combating injustices.' When we teach around this, mentioning "Self-discipline" and "Where we spend" and "How we treat our children" we lose the focus. We, in fact, become "objective" as they want us to be, rather than "subjective," as we ought to be.

We are "Oppressed" but we are not "oppressing ourselves." So to speak, there is a difference between "financing one's oppression" and "financing one's oppressor." Unfortunately, our well-meaning people are too focused on the former, and that's where even they mess up.

More clearly: We should vet what we teach, because our children are being mis-educated. If our children were properly being taught, we would not need to teach them. This we often forget. That is, we forget that in the background is the Oppressor whom needs to be counter-acted.

Because frankly, 15th Century Africa didn't have everything together. But without the European there would be no trans-Atlantic enslavement. Responsibility of oppression is entirely on the Oppressor; and the counter-action requires the Oppressed's acknowledgement thereupon.