Black People : .....versus Accountability

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Sep 16, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    What's the difference between Self-Hate and Accountability?

What's the difference between Racism and Accountability?

2. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730

Sister please share. I'm interested to know what you think.

I think we are all born in sin and that means that we have to come out of modes of 'self-hate' in order to be at peace. I think by sharing these feats is an act of accountability.

I believe that in order to be renewed, we have to bare 'the old man [woman]'. That means that I am saying that I definitely can say that I was a perpetrator of self-hate. For one example, I became personal with the chemicals and I straightened my wooly hair because I thought it was the only way to present myself acceptable. But I have sense been renewed in that mindset. Now, I so appreciate my hair and the Creator for making me this way.

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thank you for sharing, Sister!

Well, my questions were really speaking to behaviors/interactions of Us and "Them."

When we criticize another Black person for his or her behavior, when is that "Self-Hate" and when does "Accountability" come in?

When is "Racism" correctly applied and when does "Accountability" come in?
    (Does it have to be one or the other?)

Also....Could "Self-Hate" be applied in a situation between two Black people? If one of the two is perceived to be prejudiced against the other is that "Self-Hate?"

4. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    that is so true, some folks exhibit self hate by doing things they think make them look acountable to Western society or the status quo

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    :toast:

Amen, Sister!

Jas.5

[16] Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    IN MY OPINION....

Sister Chevron, here are some examples of what I meant by this topic...

In recent events, there are some incidents which I feel apply to racism and some which I think apply to personal accountability.

IN MY OPINION....

1. That White man's assault of the Black woman at the ******* Barrel restaurant was about RACISM.

2. Serena Williams' behavior at the 2009 US Open was about ACCOUNTABILITY.

3. Rep. Joe Wilson's behavior calling President Obama a "liar" was about RACISM and ACCOUNTABILITY.

4. Kanye West's behavior interrupting that girl at the awards show was about ACCOUNTABILITY.

7. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730

I must tell you, I'm very conservative when it comes to the position of AA behavior in this government as a whole. I'm not sure about some of the events you addressed. But in regards to Kanye West, there are a whole lot of Jack---es in every other race and kindred in America. I do not agree with the President becoming so emotional that he would call him out like that at all unless he has done it to another race as well.

However, Yes, I do believe that AA people should be accountable for their wrongdoings.

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thank you, Sister Chevron.

I just feel that we should be just as firm about calling out our own errings as we are pointing out the wrongdoings of others.

9. Chevron Dove

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    I so agree! Thank you!

I absolutely agree with you! Thank you!

You know, this is the hard part when it comes to our race, in my belief. Sometimes, it may seem so easy to blame our errors on 'racism' and 'white supremacy' but when it comes right down to it, we still must be accountable for our own errors.

From a Biblical standpoint, it might give us alittle more help but, that's the problem...most have turned away from the Bible and cannot see real true Mercy.

If you might recall, after Abraham was old, it was at that time that God our Creator told him to walk before him and 'be thou perfect'. We don't need to look at other people's mistake as a justification for our mistakes but, we need to look forward.

And here's the funny part: Many anti-Christ have a hard time receiving God because of certain issues such as when Moses had gotten so angry he judged an Egyptian. They cannot receive Moses but fail to recognize that Moses became 'the priest'! He went on to judge more and more. Moses ran into problems later do to his anger and it caused him not to be able to go over to the Promised Land.

Then there is Peter! Jesus told Peter that he was going to deny him thrice. And later, Peter had gotten so angry that he cursed and swore!!! Howbeit, God obviously forgave him for, it was Peter that Jesus had chosen to be the very rock of Christianity! These kind of stories would help us to understand that even though we make mistakes based upon this world scrutiny of us as African Americans, we still need to BE ACCOUNTABLE and God our Creator will step in and you never know how he will bring it around...but He has done so in the past...He knows!

Yes, Serena did swear and she did well to beg pardon. But, the world is very judgmental of us. They need to read the story of Peter though. God is more forgiving than this world will ever be.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Amen and Amen, Sister Chevron!

I just don't agree with some Black people who attack another Black person for speaking out on our wrongdoings....They wanna say it's "blaming the victim" and an example of "self hate" if you say a Black person was wrong for something done or said.