Vegetarian/Vegan on college campuses

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by divine_1, Dec 2, 2003.

1. divine_1

divine_1 Active Member MEMBER

Life Long Learner
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a sophomore at an HBCU in Pennsylvania. I chose to attend the school because since i'm from Philly, it' s not too far from home... but neither is it too close. I have been a vegetarian all my life and my diet was also one of the first concerns that arose when it came time to choose schools. I consulted with administrators and they ensured me that they had accomodations for vegetarians and vegans. For some reason, i was satisfied. However, after after spending two weeks at the school (for the first week no one really had any complaints), i found that i had been hoodwinked. The accomodations turned out to be an almost-always-wilted salad bar, spaghetti, rice and a mixture anything left over that didn't consist of meat thrown together covered with a coating of spaghetti sauce and cheese. Now, i kno that food in college is usually distasteful, but i shouldn't have to stand there for ten minutes trying to figure out what the supposed meal consist of! I tried shopping for myself, but could not get consistant rides to and from the market and i forgot to mention that i'm not rich. The use of hotplates or microwaves are illeagel, bringing a $75 minimum fine if discovered by Resident Advisors. I even gathered a group of vegetarian students to talk to food services. We offered sugesstions and continued to voice concern. Nothing happened as a result. After completeing almost 3 semesters I am honesly tired of eating rice or spaghetti and salad day after day. Please, if you have any sugesstions, let me know ASAP, anything would be appreciated. Peace.

2. Bluewater

Bluewater Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Praising The Lord
    Ratings:
    +44
    hi divine
    being away form home is tough, and when you are use to a certain diet it makes it even harder,,,perhaps you and the other students at the school can perhap a list of simple veggie recipes and present then to several administration heads along with your concerns
    I hope all works out well.
    Peace

3. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    divine
    my daughter had that problem when she went off to college...this is what she did
    1- she began lst vice president of the student body...her platform being food for vegetarians and vegans...
    2- she had the student body pass a bill which was then submitted to the school president
    3- not trusting that alone...she wrote in the school newspapaer and then sent an article to the paper in the town...
    4..it took her a year and a half but by the time she was going into her jr year the cafeteria was very accomodating.
    In the meantime she and (like you) other vegans met and started a little coop..pooling the limited funds they had and began to have dinners...they asked for use of the kitchen to cook and was allowed at least once or twice a month to be in the kitchen..
    It is a hard fought battle...but the submission to the president...she just reminded me as well as letters to alumni (which they don't want you to do) really helped her.
    good luck

4. vparthur

vparthur Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    We live in a society that is driven by the meat industry and that is a system which is abig piece of prey to bring down. PETA has been at it for years with no major success. I think it is not worth the fight to engage in a battle with administration, your in school... its supposed to be fun and a learning expierience. And you have learned a lesson already about life...the world is always accomodating for different lifestyles....

I think the last suggestion by deepy is a good one...get a group of students who share the same eating habits as you together and cook a meal for one another. That is simple and produces positive energy you can use. You will now have created an environment which others on campus might want to be a part of, including administration. Sometimes the path of least resistance is best.

I have been a vegetarian since about 1992, a year before my graduation from college, and let me tell you there a alot more food choices now for vegetarians than there used to be. I ate cereal and milk for almost every meal at school. (Boy did I look good, although I was probably a bit under weight) Its a struggle in "the real world" to get a meal that I have not cooked my self that meets my standard for what a quality veggie meal is, but I am not going to engage in a battle with every restaurant at which I eat. Being a vegetarian is my choice and I am responsible for accomodating and making my choice work for me.