Black People : Vegans Sentenced to Life for Starving Baby

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Goddess Auset333, May 15, 2007.

1. Goddess Auset333

Goddess Auset333 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +23

Hotep,

Once again a young Black Vegan couple is facing a hostile criminal justice system. This time a 6 week old baby died. I am not vegan, but could we organize a support group to assist Black vegan families.

We could find available nutritional information for pregnant mothers and expecting couples;
    we could identify legal resources,
    identify our best practitioners in natural birth and pediatrics that have a specialty in Vegetarian lifestyles;
    we could CALL OUT TO COMMUNITY FOR WRITTEN TESTIMONIES ON VEGAN LIFESTYLE & HEALTHY CHOICES FOR PREGNANT MOTHERS, BABIES & TODDLERS.
    I have read public opinion articles on this case and others in the vegan community (without melanin) are seeing how the media is condeming all vegans in reporting on this case...

Please email me your willingness to take actions; this family needs us.

Asantewaa Gail Harris
    [email protected] (this CAN be done on-line)

Vegans Sentenced to Life for Starving Baby

By GREG BLUESTEIN
    AP
    ATLANTA (May 9) - A vegan couple were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison for the death of their malnourished 6-week-old baby boy, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.

Deadly Diet
    Atlanta Police Department/The Journal & Constitution/ AP
    Vegan couple Jade Sanders, right, and Lamont Thomas, will serve life in prison after their 6-week-old baby boy, weighing just 3 1/2 pounds, died of starvation.

Talk About It: Post Thoughts

Superior Court Judge L.A. McConnell imposed the mandatory sentences on Jade Sanders, 27, and Lamont Thomas, 31. Their son, Crown Shakur, weighed just 3 1/2 pounds when he died of starvation on April 25, 2004.

The couple were found guilty May 2 of malice murder, felony murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty to children. A jury deliberated about seven hours before returning the guilty verdicts.

Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

But prosecutors said the couple intentionally neglected their child and refused to take him to the doctor even as the baby's body wasted away.

"No matter how many times they want to say, 'We're vegans, we're vegetarians, ' that's not the issue in this case," said prosecutor Chuck Boring. "The child died because he was not fed. Period."

Although the life sentences were automatic, Sanders and Thomas begged for leniency before sentencing. Sanders urged the judge to look past his "perception" of the couple.

"I loved my son - and I did not starve him," she said.

When the judge told the defendants they could ask for a new trial, Thomas hung his head low.

"I'm dying every day in there," he said, "and that could take three years."

2. torch

torch Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I wonder why white teen mothers who killed there babies by throwing them away or leaving them at home for hours they get a maximum of 5 years?

I cant say we are the only victims a white christian couple's child was taken away from them in colorado because they didnt want to take there child to the doctors for anything they wanted to take care of there child by thereselves but why there child was taken away was because they did not believe there child should have to get vaccines or as I called them "deathsticks"..

It seems that "freedom of speech" and "land of the free" is just another one out of the millions of lies they teach us in school and beyond...

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    They who give (as in giving so-called "rights") can take away - inasmuch as they who have the Power to CONCEIVE (as in "Conceiving" ideas that are supposed to be in the best interest of People) are also the same ones who have the Power to DECEIVE. Here, you see a good example of DECEIVING.

MK