Black Spirituality Religion : Various names for Black throughout Africa

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by imhotep06, Jan 16, 2007.

1. imhotep06

imhotep06 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Web Applications Developer
    Ratings:
    +106
    In turn, the various "Invaders" of our continent gave names to the African people and created borders aiming at separating us: Europeans designate us by the word African having for origin the word Ifriqiya, name of a Berber tribe installed during the Roman period, between Tunisia and Eastern Algeria. The Arabs designate us by the word Sudan meaning Blacks, and our continent by AlKabulan meaning That which can receive. The Greeks designated us by the word Ethiopian meaning Burnt face, and the word Libya indicated our continent (Herodote, Histoire It, 22 and History IV 42). As for the Jews, they designated us by the word Koushim and our continent by the word Koush, from the name BaKouSou one of our people from Zaire (Jeremie 13: 23 and Sophonie 3: 10). However, the chapter 10 of the book of the Genesis , quoting the three continents known in Antiquity, reveals us that the old name of our continent was KaM, diminutive of KaMa. Indeed, KaMa in Aramean or Hebrew KaM, means heat, burnt, blackened..., the principal characteristic of our continent, because according to Herodotus there, heat makes the men Black (History II, 22). The word KaM is also reproduced on an cananean inscription of the 10th century BC, and indicates our continent (Stele of Paraiba, in Brazil). But has the word KaMa originated in our continent? Yes, because since the appearance of the hieroglyphic writing (3400 BC), the former Egyptians called themselves KaMtou meaning Blacks, because they were it. Also, they used the word KaMi meaning Black, not only to indicate their land, but also by extension our continent. This root inherited from our ancestors is found in the following languages:

KaMa meaning Black in Coptic,
    iKaMa meaning Blackened in Mbochi,
    Meaning KaMi Burnt in Bambara,
    meaning KeMi Burnt in Mandjakou,
    Meaning KeM Burnt in Wolof,
    Kim meaning Burnt in Mossi, etc...
    Also let us note that KeMbou meaning Charcoal in Pulaar,
    KeMpori meaning Black in Vai , KeMatou meaning completely burnt in Mandjakou are to be compared to the Egyptian KaMtou . The Egyptian word KaMa represented graphically by a piece of burning wood drift of the KaLa radical also meaning Coal in some of our languages, like in Kikongo, Teke, Zigoula, Mbati, etc... In India, the word KaLa means black in Tamil and the Black goddess that has been worshipped for at least 5000 years was named Kali. Possibly, the word KaLa evolvedreception in some languages following the example of Topoke, specify that in Kikongo KhaLa means charcoal in the singular, while MaKaLa means coal in the plural. In addition, as an Egyptian as in other languages from on our premises, the letter L merges with the letter R and are represented graphically as an Egyptian by a mouth. Thus KaLa becomes KaRa among certain people, of the same GaLa becomes GaRa at others. Indeed, Garamantes (Mande, GaRa Mountou = Coal Man) true autochtones of the Crete island and the Maghreb in Antiquity were our brothers (Herodote, Histoire IV 174, 183 to 184). The country of Bengal also draws its name from BanGaLa of Zaire (nGaLa in the singular and BanGaLa in the plural). In order to join again the bonds broken with our Ground of origin and our Ancestors, it is vital for us to call ourselves by our true name sons of KaLa, or possibly of KaMa, from where comes Kamit.

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Being born in KALI-furnas (california) I already see myself as a Son of Kali and it was our Moorish ancestors who gave the land mass in Ta-Meri-Ka that name in honor of the Ancestress Goddes. There is a form of KALI which was worshipped in Mexico.

KaLa, is also the same as KayLa, which is related to the AGAW language group of Ethiopia, which we know also are related to the Tamil since "Ethiopia" extended into the Ganges and Indus River basins.

3. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    i'll drag this here...

(imhotep06) - Kmt was an idea and that's why it was used in religious text, not so much governmental documents. Kmt has to deal with the creative aspect of blackness, carbon atoms, alchemy and the extraction of metals from caves and what not. It is so much to the word. I will post a seperate post for Blackness in other African languages.

this is very interesting.
    i attempted to break down "kmt" as you did "ntr"; i noticed that "km" represents blackness, but it also represents "ending". "to end"; "to finish"; "to complete"

read backwards, it's "tmk". "tm" also translates to "to end", "to complete", "nothingness"...i have not yet figured out the dangling "t" or "k". "t" = "thee/thou"..."bread/loaf/cake"...phonetically "while/since"...

"kmt" - while (during?) the end...

it seemed like if you start calling your civilization "the end"...that's a bad prophecy.

"k" an also mean "thee/thou" (with a different glyph however) thus synonymous with "t" in that sense. thus, forwards and backwards:
    kmt == tmk == to complete thou? / though completed? / thou (art?) nothing?

it could be a reference to the blackness and "void" of space; and thus unformed matter or potential...etc.

i only have budge's dictionaries to go on, trying to match up glyphs.

also, it seems like kmt was written as "kt" in many places. the 'm' seems to drop out at times...

4. nibs

Ratings:
    +22
    (nibs) - it seems like kmt was written as "kt" in many places. the 'm' seems to drop out at times...

so KT is possibly:
    ket - small, weak, helpless
    ka-t - vulva, vagina, woman...etc.

ka-t, vulva, would be consistent with the blackness of space being feminine, a woman, giving birth to the sun and creation...etc.

so there could be meaning in kmt being written in shorthand as kt. however, the glyphs are different in both cases; so this may be a stretch...

5. imhotep06

Ratings:
    +106
    Actually (@ Nibs) I think you have it right as far as the reverse, but wrong as far as Kmt. I will let Dr. Bunseki Fu-Kiau explain what "Kala" means in Ba'Ntu spirituality and you can relate it to Kmt in Ta-Merri

"Man is a second sun rising and setting around the earth. pg 25.
    He has to rise as the sun does in order to Kala, to be, to become, to light fire. The Kala and kalazima concept itself is associated with BLACKNESS and is used as a symbol of EMERGENCE OF LIFE, the physical world [ku nseke]. pg 26" African Cosmology of the Bantu Kongo. (emphasis mine)

So as we can see here, Blackness is symbolic for coming into being, becoming or what not as all things come from a "black" place. This same philosophy was in Kmt and this is what I think the term is in reference to. It doesn't mean literally "the black land" but the "land of becoming, of life emergence."

6. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

"it could be a reference to the blachness and "void" of space; and thus unformed matter or potential"

The biblical "land of NOD"....or scientifically NODE. as in "orbital node".

This is why KMT was a "marker" (astronomically)

Now as to the backwards reference to "tmk"

thi is the same Ta_meri_Ka, which is the land of the "Mound Builders".

Did you see my reference to the underwater pyramids of japan.

Interestingly, their legends are of EIGHT ISLANDS, while KMT has the Eight "Neteru" of the Ennead.

Wasnt "KMT" or "Meroe" considered a reference in an early period as the "Primordial Hil" amidst the Celestial Waters of Nu?

Certainly this speaks to what is known as "Elephantine" or "Philae" (island of Angilika).

Of course temples were considered astronomical "markers".

[​IMG]

7. nibs

Ratings:
    +22
    (imhotep06) - Egyptians called themselves KaMtou meaning Blacks, because they were it. Also, they used the word KaMi meaning Black, not only to indicate their land, but also by extension our continent.

i think the key issue is that "kam" is an idea, a concept, a principle. a name isn't a dead, inanimate label. a name is a living idea. thus, if one wishes to use kamit, ta meri, or afuraka...as long as they are focusing on the concepts all of those are valid. there's nothing preventing the creation of new labels/names as long as they mean something.

(imhotep06) - it is vital for us to call ourselves by our true name sons of KaLa, or possibly of KaMa, from where comes Kamit.

how "african" is that 'l' sound? i know they use "ru" to approximate the 'l' in foreign languages in kemet. my pocket twi dictionary has one 'l' word. "lore"

is 'l' popular in other parts of africa? is 'l' an ancient phoneme that was lost to some africans? i'm leaning towards kama over kala due to my unfamiliarity with the usage of 'l'...

8. imhotep06

Ratings:
    +106
    I should have prefaced that the article is not mine. I don't believe you should call yourself Kmt. The people of Ta-Merri didn't call themselves Kama, Kemi or any other variation. They said this /Rmt m Kmt/ in the spiritual documentation. Meaning the People of Kmt. All throughout Africa, the people simply call themselves THE PEOPLE or HUMAN BEINGS. That's what Igbo or Ba'Ntu means. The people of Kemet called themselves /Rmt/ (the people).

Now my point in posting the information about Kala is to point out the "philosophy" behind the word Black in Africa. It has nothing to do with skin color as most African scholars, including the one I posted above, asserts. It's deeper than that. Ta-Merry developed its philosophy from the Twa people (Ba'Ntu). This is what they mean by Black and all systems in Africa follow that same mileu. So we have to stop reading Ancient Egyptian writings with western eyes and look beyond the mundacity.

Remember, the people who could actually read and write were priests. Most of the documents you read are about spiritual concepts, hidden in allegory, using symbols to convey deeper messages. African centered people, not initiated into African systems of thought, do what Christians do and take the myths as facts, and not vehicles for higher forms of thought articulation.

9. nibs

Ratings:
    +22
    (imhotep06) - I should have prefaced that the article is not mine. I don't believe you should call yourself Kmt. The people of Ta-Merri didn't call themselves Kama, Kemi or any other variation. They said this /Rmt m Kmt/ in the spiritual documentation. Meaning the People of Kmt. All throughout Africa, the people simply call themselves THE PEOPLE or HUMAN BEINGS. That's what Igbo or Ba'Ntu means. The people of Kemet called themselves /Rmt/ (the people).

that is very interesting. it is inline with how one would say "i am as a sailor" vs "i am a sailor". what you do isn't who you are.

(imhotep06) - Now my point in posting the information about Kala is to point out the "philosophy" behind the word Black in Africa. It has nothing to do with skin color as most African scholars, including the one I posted above, asserts. It's deeper than that.

however, was there a disconnect between what the priesthood thought, and what the warrior caste and rest knew? outside of spiritual documents, there are also writings of historical accounts as well. the word kemmau is used in an account of a battle, for example. i can dig up the specific context; but either this was a mistranslation; or reflective of the exoteric understanding of the people.
    these african scholars are probably fixated on the exoteric understanding of "kem" that the average person held. other than priests and royalty[?] who else would study the deeper symbolism of what the word is supposed to mean??? why it was choosen???

(imhotep06) - Remember, the people who could actually read and write were priests. Most of the documents you read are about spiritual concepts, hidden in allegory, using symbols to convey deeper messages.

yes, but everyone can hear and speak.
    however, that is an excellent point. if you have words that sound similar; they way they are written, and the specific glyphs chosen; will convey the deeper meaning of the symbolism to the reader; in contrast to what the average person simply hearing a word might understand.

10. imhotep06

Ratings:
    +106
    Keep in mind that I'm not saying they didn't use Kmt as a land designation title. But the majority of them are in religious texts. On official documents they used Ta-Merri, and this is only after the 11th Dynasty. Before the later 10th and 11th Dynasties, Egypt was simply known as the /Hnw/ - the interior. There was no name for the place.

It's know different from a 5% calling New Jersey "New Jeruselem." Although there are some rappers who use the term, doesn't mean they know the real symbolism behind it. Same can be said for all of these cats running around talking about "ey yo sun." This is 5% speech and if they aren't a 5%'r they will not know what it means. THey are just repeating what they heard Method man and Rakim say in a song. The same with the lay person.

For example, lay people say the word "square biz" not understanding that is a Masonic term used to convey how "upright" someone's character is. They just use it as slang not understanding the philosophy behind it.