Black Relationships : Valentines Day

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by Kemetstry, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128
    With Valentines Day not to far off, do you plan on getting he/she anything or doing something special? Or has the economy put a damper on that?

:em0200:

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I don't have a Valentine :qqb020:

3. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

So, maybe you should send some intendeds a card. Flowers. Invite them to lunch

4. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I have no intends

5. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Surely there is someone that holds your interest or has potential?

6. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Nope not one...Completely without interest in anyone

I'll be okay though

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    one time/short term temporary virtual thing (or not):
    Would you care to be my Valentine, MsInterpret? virtual works, too, eh? <grin>

do pardon, but i'm laughing/giggling with you:

i was reading through the sale papers today and saw "dozen roses - $20" and thought "man, that would be nice - to send some roses ..." ... but then i thought "... er ... to who?" lol. came up with one thought but ...

"makin a play" or just saying "hey"?? (just saying ...)

:flowers: Happy Valentine's Day, MsInterpret!! :flowers:

(but prolly gonna be down Oly way for Homeless Advocacy Day 2/14... if i've recovered enough from the weekends hospitalization [pneumonia on top of copd - knocked me on my keister - thought i'd "cold turkey'd" the cigs, but turns out that it's been so very long since i've been sick i forgot that "critically ill" [temporarily] knocks out the urge to smoke])

hey; don't sweat it: ain't nobody told me to put myself all out on front street like this: an "er .. excuse me: thank you but no" will not destroy me. LOL

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Awww Thanks Bro anAfrican :blowkiss:

I hope you feel better also....

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,128

Ok, keep your head up

10. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    No more than usual. I've never actually been into Valentine's Day.
    ...but it's a 'holiday'. I like to celebrate things.
    So, I got the 'baby oil' and stripper shoes ready.
    *laugh*

Naw...
    I'm going to prepare a fabulous dinner. I bought an Italian cookbook some time ago with a few meals that I've been wanting to try. We're going to have 'Anitra Alle Olive'. That's 'Duck With Olive Sauce' and some red wine.
    I need a side in there but I'm sure whether to incorporate a grain or a veggie.

I bought some stuff from Trashy Lingerie(not affiliated), too. I've been looking for a reason to drop money on those corset outfits. I bought the outfit piece by piece this year. I always have to plan and spread it out - that way I don't feel weird about that much money disappearing from my acct at one time.
    *laugh*

Gifts? Meh...
    We don't really exchange gifts that I can't eat or wear. *laugh*
    ...because I lose things and I'm a klutz. Basically.
    I don't even wear real jewelry. I've lost naval rings and earrings while I was wearing them. Looked down at my naval, it was gone!
    Last year on my birthday, we went on this dinner cruise. He bought this bracelet and I almost dropped it over the rail.

So, I'm content with Godiva's and flowers. Or...just give me a 'limit' and take me clothes/shoes/handbag shopping. That'll work.

Gifts for Him?
    It's REALLY hard to buy gifts for a man. I don't know. I don't like asking because I want it to be a surprise. He opens the gift and is momentarily lost for words, "Baby, you did this? I'm one lucky man...you are such a good woman...'
    "Yes," I smile basking in the praise, "I know, right...?"
    *laugh*
    Well, last year, I had this idea of getting him that Art of Shaving straight razor and creme set because, while his face is blemish free, he is prone to having razor bumps like most black men and I thought it would be good for him. That way he wouldn't have to go through this 'process' to shave his face...but that was a bust. *laugh*
    He likes the way it looks. It's a stand with a razor and a little brush. It's quality stuff...but he didn't want to break his routine. He likes his 'process'.
    It's just arranged on his vanity like a bathroom accessory. Appreciated the thought and research, though.

So...this year? I'm going with my strengths: Cooking and Sex.
    *laugh*
    Tried and True!

Other than that? We probably won't do much. I tend to date 'Type 'A' White-Collar Workaholics'. I mean, it is a Monday. He promised to 'try' to get off early (I didn't ask him to) but I know his work philosophy: Don't work...don't eat.
    'We got a lifestyle to maintain. Can't do it with no money', he says.

These days...I try to be more understanding. I check the 'tude. He meets me halfway. In the beginning, I'd just get mad.
    Some women can handle 'long-distance' marriages and relationships.
    So, long as the man is keeping the money steady? They're like, "Yeah, ok. See you next month...bye!'
    *laugh*

Not me. I don't know how things are going to be when I start working FT again. We'll be at opposite shifts. Of course, I'll be at the hospital so 12 hr shifts are part of the job. That's MY excuse. My man just works...to be working.
    BUT -- I wanted an ambitious man. Careful what you wish for.
    *laugh*
    I suppose I should be grateful. It could be worse.
    I mean, he could be the type with sh*t else to do but 'hang with his boys' and play PS3 all **** day long...
    Never had one of those.
    (thank God).

The economy? Meh.
    I have a friend whose company had another round of layoffs. At first, they laid off the bottom rung folks. Now they're going for the mid-level. They laid off everyone around her, including her 'minions'. *laugh* Her job is safe - but, get this? Now the few who are left have to work harder to pick up the slack! Longer shifts. They have 'homework'. *laugh*
    I just don't get it. They've solved the money issue and replaced it with a productivity problem.
    So, what are they going to next? Hire more people...? *laugh*
    The last time, they just restructured. My friend and her supv were shifted to a higher-paying position, in the midst of a layoff. She was also able to pull her severance, too. Yet, the company calls itself trying to save money....
    *laugh*
    Sh*t, she made out like a bandit. I don't blame her. If they're going to give it...take it. Be loyal to yourself because these companies don't care one fig about anything BUT their 'bottom line'.

I had a homegirl at E&Y (big 4). From what I understand, her location was firing the experienced staff accountants but still hiring noobs?
    That's like firing RNs and hiring new grads to fill the slots. Unless they were an LVN, what the hell does a freshly minted RN know? *laugh*
    You get rid of your 2-20 yr RN's, you've undercut the experience on the floor. That goes for any dept in the hospital.
    I just don't understand the corporate world. It's just so backwards.

But...other than them, I don't know anyone who has been adversely affected by the economy. I mean, everyone has their jobs. Even the ones without degrees.
    I'm doing well.
    My man does well, regardless. Better during an economic slowdown, such as this one.