Black Spirituality Religion : Using the Bible, Quran, etc., but not Christian or Muslim

The only time that it is inappropriate for a person to use the Bible is if they say that the Bible is useless... and THEN turn around and use it for their own arguments.

If one defines 'argument' as: a reason or set of reasons given
with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or
wrong
, then certainly, if some makes that claim, they ought to be
prepared to render some kind of explanation...an argument, no?

Peace and Blessings Family,

I've seen this happen all throughout this forum, over all the years we've been here.

Folk who are not Christians, Muslims, etc., will often use the books associated with each, to bolster their argument.

What does this mean ... that there is some truth in the books, even though you don't subscribe to the teaching?

I've even seen where those who are Christian, Muslim, etc., want to cry foul, when their book is being used by someone that does not believe in the life path associated with the book.

Is that a fair position for them to take, calling a foul?

How do we balance this ... on one hand trying to prove these paths are not right, yet using the very books they are based on, to defend our positions in other arguments?

Personally, while i've not read the Bible or Quran in their entirety, i'm willing to believe there is some truth in both (or even all).

Can a person believe some of it, and not all of it? Is that fair and/or reasonable?

Whatcha think Family?

:heart:

Destee

I too have seen this practice here from some members.

This is especially interesting to me when one who, admittedly, does not adhere to Christianity or the Bible but will attempt to use the Bible as support in a discussion with a Christian.

Yes, it is interesting to see how some people will cherry-pick a Bible verse, not even referencing the rest of the verse or what precedes it or comes after it.

Yet, he or she will pick out one or two words and then wanna say, "See! The Bible says it too!"

But, lacking proper study and understanding of the Bible, he or she will, erringly, think that they have achieved some kinda "AHA" or "GOTCHA" moment in their discussion.

However, for a Christian, the Bible is the cornerstone of their spiritual faith. So, a Christian is taught to study the Word Of God and to seek understanding.

And to further that understanding, Christians are also taught to study the Bible within context....

Isa.28 [10] For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back