Black Spirituality Religion : Using the Bible, Quran, etc., but not Christian or Muslim

The Bible is to Christianity what the "terms of agreement" are to this site.
It's there if you need it, but otherwise, why the hell bother???

Non-believers wanna jerry-pick phrases out of context for use as rhetorical weapons against the devout.
:bully:
But what would Jesus say?​

Love God and your neighbour. On this hang all the Prophets and all the Law.​

God bless!

Greetings sister Destee...

The only book that I have read is the Bible..and I've forgotting much more then I remember... but it has giving something that I have always used and that is that I can learn from others. And with that I'm very comfortable learning form others. As in everything in life I take what I can use and disregard the rest.. and I don't think thats a bad thing. I know you may say, in me doing this I may getting only half truths, but for me I believe it helps me to be a better person.

I Don't know if this answers your question.

Lilpea :1on1:

No Problem

Peace and Blessings Family,

I've seen this happen all throughout this forum, over all the years we've been here.

Folk who are not Christians, Muslims, etc., will often use the books associated with each, to bolster their argument.

What does this mean ... that there is some truth in the books, even though you don't subscribe to the teaching?

I've even seen where those who are Christian, Muslim, etc., want to cry foul, when their book is being used by someone that does not believe in the life path associated with the book.

Is that a fair position for them to take, calling a foul?

How do we balance this ... on one hand trying to prove these paths are not right, yet using the very books they are based on, to defend our positions in other arguments?

Personally, while i've not read the Bible or Quran in their entirety, i'm willing to believe there is some truth in both (or even all).

Can a person believe some of it, and not all of it? Is that fair and/or reasonable?

Whatcha think Family?

:heart:

Destee

The only time that it is inappropriate for a person to use the Bible is if they say that the Bible is useless... and THEN turn around and use it for their own arguments.

All else is fair game. No group of people has exclusive rights to any book. There is no rule that states somebody has to subscribe to a religion to use a book, or that they have to believe all of it, or none of it. And even if there was a rule.... I wouldn't have to follow it... cause I'm free!

I've seen this happen all throughout this forum, over all the years we've been here.

Folk who are not Christians, Muslims, etc., will often use the books associated with each, to bolster their argument.

What does this mean ... that there is some truth in the books, even though you don't subscribe to the teaching?

I've even seen where those who are Christian, Muslim, etc., want to cry foul, when their book is being used by someone that does not believe in the life path associated with the book.

How do we balance this ... on one hand trying to prove these paths are not right, yet using the very books they are based on, to defend our positions in other arguments?

Personally, while i've not read the Bible or Quran in their entirety, i'm willing to believe there is some truth in both (or even all).

Can a person believe some of it, and not all of it? Is that fair and/or reasonable?

Whatcha think Family?

Destee
hi destee,my opinion is that there is truth in the books of religion we must remember that all myth[no disrespect to those who live by the words of these readings]is based on fact,the problem of course is with interpretation and these readings go back thousands of years and with each new chapter comes new interpretaion.

Whatcha think Family?

Destee

Hotep Destee!

A couple thoughts came to mind as I read this.

First. I sense that all books of religion have been taken from Ancient knowledge that we possess. White-out has been added and sections or concepts twisted to fit the needs and agenda's of those who have tampered with it. In acknowledging that, I am acknowledging some usefulness or truthfulness inherent in those works. i.e bible, koran One example is when I quoted a scripture to Brother Clyde who is an acknowledged bible believing christian. He suggested that something "can't" be done. Yet, IF he believes what the bible says and teaches him, THEN, the scripture that says "all things are possible" disputes his argument or questioning of me. I DO KNOW that "all things are possible" for me AS AN AFREEKAN DESCENDANT and NOT based on my being christian or not.

Second, I think people have used those works and quoted them in "argument against" it to show what they see as contradictory. If I think a particular scripture makes no sense or I am working to disprove a particular book or story, then I'll point to the passages that I have come to question or make no sense to me. I'll show this and show what I see in it and ask what the other person makes of the same thing/scripture.

Finally, I think ALL things are open and "fair game" for discussion. It is ONLY when certain tactics are used, "you" vs. "I" statements, sarcasm and/or ridicule for examples, that the messages we each attempt to bring to the table are lost and we are reduced to a bunch of savages fighting AGAINST each other and the "common purpose" or goal is lost.

"Say what YOU mean, Mean what YOU say, and say it in a 'nice' way". While this may not ALWAYS be possible, it is something I work towards doing.

M.E.
:hearts2:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back