Black Spirituality Religion : Using the Bible, Quran, etc., but not Christian or Muslim

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Destee, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I've seen this happen all throughout this forum, over all the years we've been here.

Folk who are not Christians, Muslims, etc., will often use the books associated with each, to bolster their argument.

What does this mean ... that there is some truth in the books, even though you don't subscribe to the teaching?

I've even seen where those who are Christian, Muslim, etc., want to cry foul, when their book is being used by someone that does not believe in the life path associated with the book.

Is that a fair position for them to take, calling a foul?

How do we balance this ... on one hand trying to prove these paths are not right, yet using the very books they are based on, to defend our positions in other arguments?

Personally, while i've not read the Bible or Quran in their entirety, i'm willing to believe there is some truth in both (or even all).

Can a person believe some of it, and not all of it? Is that fair and/or reasonable?

Whatcha think Family?

:heart:

Destee

2. Onyemobi

Onyemobi Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Artist
    Ratings:
    +223
    I think there is a difference in recognizing that something is a tool (no matter how blunt or rusty it may be, lol), rather then worshiping it as the sole source of divine truth. I mean all books have some of the same teachings: Treat others the way you want to be treated, respect your parents, etc. So quoting the good things in them doesn't mean you subscribe to all of the teachings.

3. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,775
    Hotep Destee:

I don't see this reference on your post -- however

the Husia
    the Book of Coming Forth

...are quite nice.

Ase' - Fine:qqb015:

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Peace and Blessings Sister ... it's not often that we share together in a thread, and it's nice to be speaking to you directly. You're right, i didn't include all possible books that are used in the way this thread suggests, and i thank you for adding to this.

You know Sister Fine ... i was so tickled when i read the words from you below, that were posted in another thread. I thought to myself, i've never seen Sister Fine attack anyone, but she surely can get her point across ... lol ... oh gosh, i don't know why, but that tickled me!

Again, thanks for sharing with us Sister.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Thank You Brother Onyemobi for sharing the above. It makes sense to me.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

6. Petrus Romanus

Petrus Romanus Member MEMBER

Diagnosed schizophrenic 2003-present
    Ratings:
    +1

The Bible is to Christianity what the "terms of agreement" are to this site.
    It's there if you need it, but otherwise, why the hell bother???

Non-believers wanna jerry-pick phrases out of context for use as rhetorical weapons against the devout.
    :bully:
    But what would Jesus say?​

Love God and your neighbour. On this hang all the Prophets and all the Law.​

God bless!

7. lilpea

lilpea Moderator STAFF

United States
    retired
    Ratings:
    +343
    Greetings sister Destee...

The only book that I have read is the Bible..and I've forgotting much more then I remember... but it has giving something that I have always used and that is that I can learn from others. And with that I'm very comfortable learning form others. As in everything in life I take what I can use and disregard the rest.. and I don't think thats a bad thing. I know you may say, in me doing this I may getting only half truths, but for me I believe it helps me to be a better person.

I Don't know if this answers your question.

Lilpea :1on1:

8. brown_h0rnet

brown_h0rnet Master of All Trades... Jack of None PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Financial Anaylyst
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +161
    No Problem

The only time that it is inappropriate for a person to use the Bible is if they say that the Bible is useless... and THEN turn around and use it for their own arguments.

All else is fair game. No group of people has exclusive rights to any book. There is no rule that states somebody has to subscribe to a religion to use a book, or that they have to believe all of it, or none of it. And even if there was a rule.... I wouldn't have to follow it... cause I'm free!

9. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    hi destee,my opinion is that there is truth in the books of religion we must remember that all myth[no disrespect to those who live by the words of these readings]is based on fact,the problem of course is with interpretation and these readings go back thousands of years and with each new chapter comes new interpretaion.

10. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843

Hotep Destee!

A couple thoughts came to mind as I read this.

First. I sense that all books of religion have been taken from Ancient knowledge that we possess. White-out has been added and sections or concepts twisted to fit the needs and agenda's of those who have tampered with it. In acknowledging that, I am acknowledging some usefulness or truthfulness inherent in those works. i.e bible, koran One example is when I quoted a scripture to Brother Clyde who is an acknowledged bible believing christian. He suggested that something "can't" be done. Yet, IF he believes what the bible says and teaches him, THEN, the scripture that says "all things are possible" disputes his argument or questioning of me. I DO KNOW that "all things are possible" for me AS AN AFREEKAN DESCENDANT and NOT based on my being christian or not.

Second, I think people have used those works and quoted them in "argument against" it to show what they see as contradictory. If I think a particular scripture makes no sense or I am working to disprove a particular book or story, then I'll point to the passages that I have come to question or make no sense to me. I'll show this and show what I see in it and ask what the other person makes of the same thing/scripture.

Finally, I think ALL things are open and "fair game" for discussion. It is ONLY when certain tactics are used, "you" vs. "I" statements, sarcasm and/or ridicule for examples, that the messages we each attempt to bring to the table are lost and we are reduced to a bunch of savages fighting AGAINST each other and the "common purpose" or goal is lost.

"Say what YOU mean, Mean what YOU say, and say it in a 'nice' way". While this may not ALWAYS be possible, it is something I work towards doing.

M.E.
    :hearts2: