The Front Porch : used to be Istlota, now thePreacher

we have the first generation of black people gone backwards rather than forward.
the polarization within the community is a big cause.

we have a generation of blacks bent on self destruction.
not one person is willing to look inside.

i find it depressing.

How exactly has the present generation gone backwards?

They followed their parents who stressed to them the importance of voting, and in turn voted for Barack Obama on 2008 in record numbers.

They are the first generation since the passage of the voting rights act to bear the full brunt of the dismantling of affirmative action programs as well as being the first generation to live under the homeland security act which restricts their ability to travel and invest abroad. This generation also felt the burden of the 2008-2009 recession which resulted in a rapid decline of net Black individual and familial wealth. Which means a lot do not have the financial means to pursue higher education and are not able to secure living wages due to the financial meltdown.

no one here sees that each generation making mistakes that they do not have to make retards progress?

I don't know if you've noticed, but when I'm speaking to a particular person, I quote what they've said that I'm about to respond to. Fact of the matter is, the opinions in my post came about after reading ALL the posts on this thread, not just yours.

Let me make clear that I agree that each generation of blacks make mistakes which if they listen(ed) to their parents - and wise others who came of age in previous generations with their best interests at heart - they could avoid. I agree 100%.

The problem is that just as black elders who have gone through the fire of racism and oppression (and lived to tell the tale) are now older and wiser, so are the racist, white supremist beneficiaries of slavery they went up against who are determined to pass down the power and privileges they enjoyed to their children. Just as black elders who went up against the white Powers that Be, through trial and error, disappointment and heartbreak, learned how to get through or around roadblocks, obstacles and barriers set up by white supremists to black self-determination of their lives and futures.... racist white elders who hold the reins of power today learned NEW ways, devised NEW strategies to crush black aspirations from those battles (they lost), as well.

I understand that many will say - but po' w'ite trash ain't GOT no privilege! To which I say, "yes, they do." They have the privilege of being able to change their circumstance and move into the middleclass mainstream. Blacks have to change most everything about ourselves to make ourselves presentable just to get a job: sistahs straighten our hair, bruthas cut their hair short to fades (it's rare to see a white man with a crew or buzz cut these days), we change our speech patterns, i.e., drop the ebonics and speak Standard English, we wear Western clothes, etc. All po' w'ite trash has to do is show up.

Po' w'ite trash also has the ego-boosting privilege of feeling superior to every black person they meet, to "know" that no matter how much they are an outlier in white society, or how much they are despised by other whites, they can STILL "look down" on black people as their inferiors. You can't take a black person's "education" from them? You can't take a white person's (lack of) color from them. Our elders pass along "get your education"; white elders pass along "white is right." And because wherever you find them, no matter what country or continent, white is on TOP, the world agrees.

At any rate, the strategies for dealing with white racist oppression of black aspirations perfected by older generations do not necessarily work for today's blacks precisely because whites have learned from their mistakes. Because they want to KEEP their privilege, and have the power to do so, they simply change the rules of the game. New rules call for new strategies. It is today's generation of blacks who have to devise new strategies to counter the NEW rules whites come up with for keeping us in our "place", i.e., on the bottom of the barrel wherever in the world you find us.

Think of it this way, James: Did your parents, raised in an era of Jim Crow laws, legal (black) lynching and black men escaping North from the South.... raise you to step up in krakka faces and say "Do what you will, but I'm not moving and I will NOT be moved!" Or, based on their experience, give you the "wise" counsel to not "provoke" white people.... because they will KILL you!? Did your parents tell you to be an OUTLAW, to break tradition, the rules, the Law itself, ANY law.... just because YOU thought it was unjust? Or based on their experience as LAW-ABIDING people who knew what kind of future blacks with a prison record faced, tell you to keep your nose clean? stay away from rabble-rousers, social unrest agitators and trouble-makers? Where would we and the WORLD be if you and other young foot soldiers of the Civil Rights Movement had lived your lives by what your parents WISELY counseled you.... instead of stepping out on conscious and faith and following Dr. King?

It's like I tell my kids - "this is MY life, it's not yours. Just because something didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. But you NEED to know the pitfalls (of what I went through) and let them guide you." Forewarned is forearmed. Unless and until you start up a movement that excites the imagination of the young such that they get on board, the role of the elder is to arm their young with the lessons of history, to "help" them refine those new strategies they come up with (and bug the heck outta them for being a d**m fool until they do!). For black elders to drop out, or throw up their hands at their young "reinventing the wheel" is the "gift" those who would destroy them, i.e., white racists, most want.

A luta continua. :10200:

Sometimes the female of the species can and will be able to understand and know, as opposed to us menfolk, who need to listen and to learn from the other one...

In both cases: One has to contrast different mindsets, i. e., those who pass on their own life lessons, etc. up to and including being a true part of the rearing of those they brought into their lives and our midst, others who place their blind faith in the white folks private and public school systems etc.

Even I must admit being tossed in with a bunch of people, i. e., whose way of life etc. I had no or little knowledge or understanding of white people etc.

My legacy: Filled with irony etc.

I actually grew up in one of Detroit's suburbs, no less segregated than Detroit was at the time...

The ups and downs of federal court ordered desegregation...

Some profited, others didn't...

At best, I'm somewhere in between...

My and the point:

Anybody implying or suggesting we're all so different from others in the same nation is what some usually call wishful thinking...

I. e., the idea was to fast track folk into the nation's mainstream, the reality is nobody really had amnesia...

The flip side:

There was and is a legacy, passed down by our enslaved african ancestors, and up to us to realize what it is, decide how we need and want to manifest it, via the here and now....

No disrespect intended nor meant, but even some who could have gone along, like the late Miles Davis, peeped the other whites means, redefined them to advance his ends...

There is indeed a difference, i. e., between education and indocrination, as well as no point dwelling on long dead black civilizations, when we are the distant descenders of their creators...

It is how we view ourselves and this nation--also that we are the citizens of-- which matters in 2013...

We are the descendants of folk who were also products of countless eras of human civilization...

Not our fault if others continue to stumble in the midst of their own backwardness and ignorance...

Everybody has their right to enjoy bathing in the sunlight...

FYI...

:10300:

For black elders to drop out, or throw up their hands at their young "reinventing the wheel" is the "gift" those who would destroy them, i.e., white racists, most want….
when you try to tell somebody that the stove is hot and they will be burned if they put their hand on it and they tell you they must be free to make their own mistakes and they put their hand on the stove and get burned and end up in the ER…it gets discouraging:11300:

I don't know if you've noticed, but when I'm speaking to a particular person, I quote what they've said that I'm about to respond to. Fact of the matter is, the opinions in my post came about after reading ALL the posts on this thread, not just yours.

Let me make clear that I agree that each generation of blacks make mistakes which if they listen(ed) to their parents - and wise others who came of age in previous generations with their best interests at heart - they could avoid. I agree 100%.

:10900:

The problem is that just as black elders who have gone through the fire of racism and oppression (and lived to tell the tale) are now older and wiser, so are the racist, white supremist beneficiaries of slavery they went up against who are determined to pass down the power and privileges they enjoyed to their children. Just as black elders who went up against the white Powers that Be, through trial and error, disappointment and heartbreak, learned how to get through or around roadblocks, obstacles and barriers set up by white supremists to black self-determination of their lives and futures.... racist white elders who hold the reins of power today learned NEW ways, devised NEW strategies to crush black aspirations from those battles (they lost), as well.

:11100:

I understand that many will say - but po' w'ite trash ain't GOT no privilege! To which I say, "yes, they do." They have the privilege of being able to change their circumstance and move into the middleclass mainstream. Blacks have to change most everything about ourselves to make ourselves presentable just to get a job: sistahs straighten our hair, bruthas cut their hair short to fades (it's rare to see a white man with a crew or buzz cut these days), we change our speech patterns, i.e., drop the ebonics and speak Standard English, we wear Western clothes, etc. All po' w'ite trash has to do is show up.

:10400:

Po' w'ite trash also has the ego-boosting privilege of feeling superior to every black person they meet, to "know" that no matter how much they are an outlier in white society, or how much they are despised by other whites, they can STILL "look down" on black people as their inferiors. You can't take a black person's "education" from them? You can't take a white person's (lack of) color from them. Our elders pass along "get your education"; white elders pass along "white is right." And because wherever you find them, no matter what country or continent, white is on TOP, the world agrees.

At any rate, the strategies for dealing with white racist oppression of black aspirations perfected by older generations do not necessarily work for today's blacks precisely because whites have learned from their mistakes. Because they want to KEEP their privilege, and have the power to do so, they simply change the rules of the game. New rules call for new strategies. It is today's generation of blacks who have to devise new strategies to counter the NEW rules whites come up with for keeping us in our "place", i.e., on the bottom of the barrel wherever in the world you find us.

:11100:

Think of it this way, James: Did your parents, raised in an era of Jim Crow laws, legal (black) lynching and black men escaping North from the South.... raise you to step up in white faces and say "Do what you will, but I'm not moving and I will NOT be moved!" Or, based on their experience, give you the "wise" counsel to not "provoke" white people.... because they will KILL you!? Did your parents tell you to be an OUTLAW, to break tradition, the rules, the Law itself, ANY law.... just because YOU thought it was unjust? Or based on their experience as LAW-ABIDING people who knew what kind of future blacks with a prison record faced, tell you to keep your nose clean? stay away from rabble-rousers, social unrest agitators and trouble-makers? Where would we and the WORLD be if you and other young foot soldiers of the Civil Rights Movement had lived your lives by what your parents WISELY counseled you.... instead of stepping out on conscious and faith and following Dr. King?

:11200:

It's like I tell my kids - "this is MY life, it's not yours. Just because something didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you. But you NEED to know the pitfalls (of what I went through) and let them guide you." Forewarned is forearmed. Unless and until you start up a movement that excites the imagination of the young such that they get on board, the role of the elder is to arm their young with the lessons of history, to "help" them refine those new strategies they come up with (and bug the heck outta them for being a d**m fool until they do!). For black elders to drop out, or throw up their hands at their young "reinventing the wheel" is the "gift" those who would destroy them, i.e., white racists, most want.

:thinking:

A luta continua. :10200:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back