Black Sports : USA Men's Basketball domination comes to an end?

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Aug 5, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Since 1992 when NBA players started to compete in the Olympic and World games, the superiority of US basketball has thrilled (and humbled) the rest of the world. However since the legendary Dream Team of 1992 each US basketball team has gotten weaker (with the best of the NBA deciding that they had better things to do in the summer). Despite this, the US continued to dominate until 2 years ago when they lost 3 times in the world games. The talk of the international basketball community is that the dominance of Team USA (the NBA) is no longer! Indeed, my brother in-laws are visiting from Spain (both basketball fanatics), and they have been telling me this since they got of the plane. Neither feel that Team USA is going to win a gold medal. I assured them that Team USA would be fine, and that their performance 2 years ago was a fluke (and they had a bad coach in George Karl). Well no sooner did I say that when Team USA lost to Italy!! Now Team USA needed a buzzer beater to get by Germany yesterday. I realize these are exhibition games (and that many of these European teams now have NBA players on them). However this being said, what is wrong with Team USA??? Can we still afford to not send the very best of the NBA against them? I am not very patriotic, but this is becoming a matter of pride for me. If not national...then racial because Team USA is mostly African American, and the European teams are mostly lily-white. Come on Team USA basketball is suppose to be our sport, and you are embarrasing us!! :censored:

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    yeah they need to get their s*** together , they have no bus losing to these euros. now i do think that the euro teams and other teams in the world play together all year, some have been playing together for years, the longer a team, stays together the better they r. bu thats still no exuse, nothing less than complete domination will be tolerated from team usa.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I think they need to let go of the sureness that they can take everyone down
    and go play the game the way our great USA teams did before with no mercy !
    we have gotten weaker cause some of the best players are not going into the
    games with the spirit of domination but playing I still think USA is the KING of
    the courts and they will pull away and prove they are still the champs and take
    the GOLD !

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    if the team was , shaq, kobe, j kid, . garnnet, and duncan it would be lights out, game over, gold medal automatic

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    The Olympic games starts on Sunday: USA vs. Puerto Rico...let's see what the US does. They looked unimpressive in the exhibition, but I hope they turn it around...this squad is weak (4 rookies), but they should still do it.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i think they will do it and show they still owns the basketball showcase
    as the dominate force in this area of sports TEAM USA #1 but i say they
    came in with too many rookies which many teams has pro players now
    who play in the NBA this really give them a weak point going in the games
    this year it could be a rude awaking for USA.

7. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Like Lisa Lesley stated, it seems like most of the men do not care to represent the US, theyfind no honor being chosen for the US Olympic team when they could just stay home - chillin, spending their millions.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    That appears to be the case CarrieMonet! I don't quite know what to think of that. It would be one thing if these "brothers" were protesting the racism & discrimination that African Americans continue to suffer in the US (like the Athletes of the 1960s & 70s did). However very few black athletes stand for any social cause today. Instead the reluctance of NBA players to participate in the Olympics seems to be based on selfishness...me, myself, and I. This is certainly not good because if any NBA players are going to be represented, it should be the best. As I already said Team USA is all black, and the European teams are mostly white...as a result the competition is being judged on a national & racial level (I have European connections and hear the talk). For this reasons I want the NBA to come correct, or don't come at all.

9. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well, I understand what you are saying but I suppose I feel the same way about the Olympics as I do watching the NBA. Most of the player just show up, very few play with heart. That is why I tend to ignore the NBA until it's playoff time...and even then some players barely bring their "A" game.

The women's team feels it's an honor to represent their country.

True indeed that if they (meaning black men) were suddenly banned or were not considered at all for being chosen for the Olympic team, there would surely be an uproar, but it seems to me they are taking things - many things for granted.

10. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    Maybe the US needs to do like other countries and not have high paid proffesionals participating in amature sport. No other teams are composed of professional athletes. Maybe yall need to look to college ball players and talented street ball players with some heart and build them into a team rather than wait till just before the olympics and select a bunch of over paid pros and force them to pretend to be a team. JMO

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usa basketball domination