Health and Wellness : US Ebola Issues - and Patient Treatments

Ebola Vaccine Would Likely Have Been Found By Now If Not For Budget Cuts: NIH Director

n-FRANCIS-COLLINS-large570.jpg

Dr. Francis Collins, head of the National Institutes of Health, said that a lack of funding has held back the agency's response to the Ebola crisis. | JEWEL SAMAD via Getty Images

BETHESDA, Md. -- As the federal government frantically works to combat the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, and as it responds to a second diagnosis of the disease at home, one of the country's top health officials says a vaccine likely would have already been discovered were it not for budget cuts.

So far, much of the focus has been on an experimental cocktail of three monoclonal antibodies known as ZMapp. But the current stockpile is not nearly great enough. Collins, a touch exasperated, said it would be all but impossible to have significant doses available by the end of the calendar year -- with a lack of funding once again playing a disruptive role.

There are other potential therapies. Brincidofovir has been used on an Ebola patient brought to Nebraska and on the late Thomas Eric Duncan, who was diagnosed with the disease after traveling to Dallas from his native Liberia. Unlike ZMapp, there is a large stockpile of Brincidofovir available, and the doses required are small. "So you could imagine you have enough drug now to treat 16,000 people," said Collins. But, again, a clinical trial is needed in Liberia.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/12/ebola-vaccine_n_5974148.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Bush's handy work. He deregulated many things, changed the bankruptcy laws, and limited lawsuits while he was in office.

Yes Sir bro. HODEE, nothing like Texas crooks, I was borne and raised in Dallas. Not to mentioned they killed Kennedy there :facepalm:

Yeah, I saw that bro. Shaka, indeed it was a sick joke to say the least. In view of the seriousness of Ebola, I just couldn't update this Thread with such misplaced humor ... And to top it off, it came from the lips of a Black man, "I have Ebola" :facepalm:

Man sneezes on plane & jokingly yells "I came from Africa". This is the aftermath

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back