Black People : Update On Marissa Alexander

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Sep 26, 2013.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
  2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :10200:Free Marissa

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Thanks for sharing this!

4. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Yes! It took long enough! I'm so glad she endured though, to see this day, and hopefully her complete victory. but it sure does hurt inside from a personal perspective, because this makes me think about something that I'm enduring right now, and I'm sure a lot of people who have been wrongfully entreated by this system would know what I mean.

Just recently this year and because the government has been pursuing me to pay back my educational loan, I have had to try and defend myself. So I finally just simply wrote them and ask them that I think it is unbelievable that you would mark me against my record, but yet, this same government took my career job wrongfully. They want me to abide by their laws but yet you broke your own laws and want to put a bad mark against my name. I reminded them that this government broke their own federal law about the federal form that was suppose to be filled out within 30 days after an employee was hurt on the job, and because I knew they weren't going ot help me, I went to the best private doctor in the region [and world] at Duke Med and he testified on record that the job injured me permanently, but yet the company fired me anyway...with no legal explanation. Their lawyers and the judge got another doctor who never saw me to refute the Duke doctor, and their findings for firing me was not that I had done a bad job, but because they said 'I gained weight' and therefore, the permanent injure to my feet and for standing on their hard floor, was my own fault because I gained weight. I went from a size 11/12 to a size 16/18 when they fired me, but for the 7 years that I worked there, I always got excellent job reviews until I complained about my feet. So, I lost my job and could not ever get back into my career. but all of a sudden, about a month later after i wrote to the educational departmnt about their pursuing me, I received a letter from that very company and they said they wanted to give me about $9000.00 due to a program they had paid into, and I got a call to apply for a minimum wage tyupe job where I caould sit down. It hurts so bad, but my husband said, that it's more than you gotten in a long time, so don't worry about it now. I made over $30,000 back then, so that's about $200,000 that I could have earned since they fired me. I lost the ability to help my husband with bills and help my kids get things that they needed. It hurts so bad. But I hope that, like this case, this government will address issues like this and exonerate people who have been done wrong.

Think about all of the time that Marrissa has not been able to be with her own children, babies, and how they view her, their mother being locked up, and how they feel around other people who talk about their mother. I think about that father and in how he treated Marrissa and how he thought and things he got off after doing what he did. I think about that prosecutor and how evil it is to do this to a Black woman and still think they can just justify this or pass it away as a simple glitch in the way the law was written. No, it has nothing to do with the manmade law, but how these laws are made to give racist people the chance to continue to hurt Black people and hide behind excuses like 'It's a governmental glitch'. Nevertheless, time passes on and in the end, these kind of evil people can't hide behind their actions forever, soon they will be found out, but ti's so hard to endure. At any rate, I hope that this Black mother will be alright and be healed. I know she will suffer for a long time with emotional distress though.

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Florida state Sen. Greg Evers’ (R-Baker) controversial new “warning shot” bill unanimously passed the Senate Criminal Justice Committee Wednesday, advancing legislation that would allow individuals to display a weapon or discharge a warning shot if they feel their life, home or property are being threatened.
    "It's whatever force is needed for a person to protect themselves, and however they need to protect themselves is what the bill's about," Evers, chairman of the Senate Criminal Justice Committee, told 10News.
    SB488 was inspired by the case of Marissa Alexander, a Jacksonville woman who received a 20-year prison sentence for aggravated assault after firing a warning shot during a dispute with her estranged husband in 2012.
    “I think this bill speaks loudly to the state attorneys, to the State Attorney Association that this Legislature will not put up with [sentencing] folks who are using their lawful right to display a gun, or are firing a warning shot,” Evers said, according to WFSU.
    Evers’ Senate bill, along with similar legislation drafted in the House, would grant Floridians the same protections offered under the state’s “stand your ground” law, safeguarding citizens from Florida sentencing laws, which mandate a minimum 10-year prison term for certain felony convictions involving the use of a firearm or weapon.
    "On stand your ground, you physically have to shoot someone or use physical force against that person," Evers told 10News. "Why should you have to go to that extreme?"
    State attorney Bill Cervone of the 8th Judicial Circuit expressed concern about changing Florida's self-defense laws, and a potential “miscarriage of justice.”
    “Collectively, I think we are greatly concerned about scenarios where there could be a miscarriage of justice,” Cervone told the Florida Times-Union. “We’re more concerned about guilty people who hide behind [‘stand your ground’]. The defense bar has equal concerns about the other side of the coin.”
    Instead of expanding state gun laws, Florida state Sen. Arthenia Joyner (D-Tampa) proposed giving greater discretion to state judges, according to the Associated Press.
    Rep. Neil Combee (R-Polk City), who is sponsoring the House version of the bill, proposed a similar bill in 2013, which was killed in committee without the support of the Florida Sheriffs Association and state prosecutors.

6. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    Marissa Alexander Could Be Thrown Back In Prison For Running Errands

Marissa Alexander, Stand Your Ground, Free-Marissa-Alexander, Mariassa Alexander Case, Marissa Alexander Parole, Marissa Alexander Retrial, Marissa Alexander Trial, Marissa-Alexander-Prosecutor, Stand Your Ground Florida, Black Voices News

The Florida mom who lost a controversial "Stand Your Ground" case after firing what she called a warning shot at her abusive husband might be thrown in prison again if a judge rules she violated the strict terms of her release.
    Prosecutors claim that Marissa Alexander violated the terms of her November in-home detention by shopping for clothes, driving family members to the airport, going to the bank and running other errands, the Florida Times-Union reported.
    Alexander, 33, who is preparing for her March retrial, claims through her lawyers that the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office signed off on every trip, according to CNN.
    Her first trial in 2012 drew national attention. A judge denied her argument that the single shot she fired near her estranged husband and stepchildren was legal under the state's controversial Stand Your Ground law. Instead, she was convicted of aggravated assault with a firearm.
    No one was wounded in the shooting and the mother of three had a clean record. Mandatory sentencing rules, however, stipulated that she receive a 20-year sentence -- a penalty that many decried as excessive.
    An appeals court ordered in September that she deserved a new trial, because the jury received improper instructions from the judge about proving self-defense.
    Paying a $150,000 bond in November, Alexander was released and given home detention, according to station WAWS.

A judge will rule Friday on the prosecution's motion to put Alexander behind bars again.
    “She continues to demonstrate her utter disregard for conforming her behavior to the rules ... [others] must abide by," state prosecutors wrote in a motion filed Tuesday.
    Her lawyers argued that the prosecution wants Alexander locked up again, even though the state's attorneys were aware she obtained permission to run household errands, MSNBC said.

7. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    The judge did not revoke her bond!