Computers - Software Hardware : Unix and Parallel Universes

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by thePreacher, Oct 13, 2012.

1. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    I have been using computers since back in the Osborne 1 days. I actually used to lug this beast around to customer sites:
    [​IMG]

It managed to escape my attention until today that the back tick [`] [probably in the upper left corner of your kybd] is not quite the same thing as the single qoute ['] [probably just to the left of your right hand ENTER key]. I found out because I finally figured out why my Bash scripts, while they did run with single quotes, would give me a syntax warning. Bash doesn't even give the syntax warning if I enter the same thing directly into a Terminal session with single quotes instead of back ticks.

Back ticks would have become passe with Unicode except for exceptions such as this back tick idiosyncrasy from the Unix/Linux world which really can be, at times, a parallel universe to the Real World.

Consider the plethora of Unix/Linux apps with nerdy acronyms which stand for equally nerdy phrases [Bash=Bourne Again Shell, Yacc=Yet Another Compiler Compiler, GNU=Gnu is Not Unix].

A particularly revealing scenario involves an app called VirtualBox which Unix/Linux hackers tend to be more familiar with than 'normal' people. Keeping in mind that Unix/Linux functions as a Parallel Universe of the Real World:
    • Just as in The Matrix movies [which also dealt with the concept of a Real and virtual world], VirtualBox allows virtual worlds [Unix/Linux, MAC OS X-which is rooted in a clone of Unix called Darwin, and Solaris-which is yet another flavor of Unix] to co-exist with the real [ergo, Windows] world.
    • Just as The Matrix had the Oracle who was involved with everything that went on in the virtual world of the Matrix, VirtualBox while open source is nevertheless a product of the Oracle corporation.
    Have you heard of Second Life, a Virtual Reality world run on thousands of Debian Linux servers scattered across the US? Second Life has millions of users who have their own virtual money system, design their own worlds, go to e-churches, and some are even getting e-married and having e-kids:

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    That's quite the hardware there :).

Yep, backtick is treated differently from single quotes (') which is treated differently than double quotes (") for purposes of treatment of expressions.

It is that way in shell scripting as well as in Microsoft's Powershell.

According to Wikipedia, The line of descent for OS X is Mach, NeXTSTEP, OPENSTEP, Darwin, and finally OS X with code from BSD.

The kernal for OS X is XNU which itself is a composite of Mach 3 microcode and BSD code.

Virtualbox (originally developed by Sun Microsystem) is now owned by Oracle.
    Virtualbox is available on Windows as well.

Virtualbox is a Type 2 hypervisor which runs on top of an OS as opposed to bare-meta (Type 1) hypervisors.

I use both. Virtualbox is AWESOME on Windows.
    XenServer (bare-metal hypervisor) is what I use at home and work.
    VMware, I use at work.

Virtual machines are GREAT. Instead of junking up your system with apps, you can create a VM and load your apps into that.
    You can run multiple servers, workstations, operating systems at the same time.

What is virtualized is hardware. Hardware becomes software.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. We can talk about Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), cloud computing, published desktops via Citrix, Platform as a Service (PAAS), and more.

My favorite type 1 (native) hypervisors are VMware, XenServer, and Xen.
    My favorite type 2 (hosted) hypervisors are Virtualbox and VMware Workstation.

Other type 1 hypervisors are Hyper-V and KVM.

3. thePreacher

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    I was initially enamored with VirtualBox. And it is useful for temporarily testing software. But running in a VM on top of your base OS ends up slowing things down.

I use a Mac most of the time, and avoid Windows when ever possible. When I leave the Mac OS X world it is usually to work in Ubuntu. But I don't care for dual boot hacks like Bootcamp or rEFIt. I dedicate my internal SSD to Snow Leopard and boot from USB or FW drives to incarnate into non-OS X realities.

4. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Running virtual machines on a Linux based platform is best as with Linux based platforms you can control the footprint to make it as small or as large as you want which in turn you can limit disk and memory resources so that most of those resources can be dedicated to your virtual environment. I primarily utilize VMWare but have played around with VirtualBox. Windows is a horrible platform to attempt to run virtual environments for production purposes being that the OS from the box is a resource hog.

5. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I didn't really have that problem when I ran VirtualBox on my systems, but I have lots of RAM. Almost seamless performance.

You were running a type 2 (hosted) hypervisor.

I run my VMs on my XenServer.

Again, I run everything on top of XenServer.

6. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    What version of VMware do you run ?

7. houserunner

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    VSphere ver. 5

8. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    vSphere rocks :).

Is your node or nodes connected to a SAN or local storage?

9. houserunner

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    At work it is an EMC2 SAN, at home it is local storage.

10. thePreacher

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    Hence, some people call it Win-doze. There was a time when I was all into the Win-doze camp, coding MFC with Visual C. I was even one of the deluded fools who defended Visual J. Then MS got busted for Java copyright infringement which began to open my eyes to the dark side of MS. Then I bought my first MAC and was astounded to find out that viruses in the Mac world are theoretically possible, but all but none existent in practice. I haven't owned a Windoze machine [other than my smart phone running Win7 which I only have because it was a gift] since 2006.