Black People : Unity without uniformity

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by uplift19, Mar 29, 2006.

1. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    There have been many efforts to unify black folks around ideals and principles irrespective of our backgrounds and beliefs. Does the concept of "unity without uniformity" have any merit? Many of us can't agree on what to call ourselves (Black/African/African-America/etc.), let alone one platform to unite around. What are your thoughts?

2. Coach707

Coach707 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree! My major concern is that many black people fail to realize that just because you are or consider yourself on thing, it should not make you totally absent minded when it comes to the opposing views or ideas. Take religion for example, Where Im from you cant talk to Christians about anything that opposes their God. If you do, prepare to be dashed with holy water and left with those people reminding you that they'll pray for you. If we get to wrapped up in one thing how can we be well-rounded black Americans? If we want to unite as a culture I think that one of our biggest obstacles would be to get religous folks on the same page. How can you do that when they cant agree on what bible is the most accuate?

We need to get back to focusing just as much energy towards the preservation of our people as we do in organized religion. Religion is great to have, but if we want unity we will have to set aside the differences of our religions if we want to make any progress at all.

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    To quote Che Gueverra "Nothing unites the masses better than a common enemy".

We can have different ideals and philosophies and unite under the same goal. If we look at in reverse, though our enemy sees our differences between us he still see us all as his enemy.

Our battles are layered. At this point we are in no position to do battle with the powers that be because the more immediate enemy is us to us.

We must clean our own house first. Also we don't need to invited outsider into our dirty house.

No matter what faith, philosophy, movement or organization we belong to our first order of business is self assessment. We must recognize the things we as idividuals are doing wrong and that we can control or change about ourselves.

Then we must proceed in repairing the relationship between black men and black women. No successful society or civilization can survive without a healthy relationship between it's men and women.

Next we must re-establish a two parent household black family. It takes both parents to properly raise children. Black parents that are not in the same household must put aside personal feelings about eachother and strive to create good situation for the child/children.

We must then make a positive affect in our community. Black families should be actively involved in the success and progress of their communities.

Once we have done these things we can successful attack the injustices of our situation in America and abroad or choose a different path.By doing this we create options and opportunies for ourselves.

Either way no matter what anyone's belief system or philosophy is there is a formula for success that commonly addresses us all. This ladder of success is not unique to any specific group within our people.

I will continue to reverberate this idea. Those who know me know where I stand.

Peace......

4. youngblackceo

youngblackceo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I see it like this in terms of religion you have got to prove to me that it has worked.
    It makes no sense for us to rally around something and continue to believe in something that continues to fail you.
    Let's look at the history within the last 1000 years of the African experience in the world. I don't think anyone could argue that African people has been some of the most dedicated followers of these religous institutions despite the bloody history of the religions and how we came into contact with them.
    Yet with all of the devotion and faithful following the African is in no better position to defend his resources are life from slavery and degradation any better than we were 1000 years ago.

Know afther reviewing that brief glimpse into our history and we still cannot see through the BS and recognize that our religious training has played a big role in our curent state. Then quite honestly we deserve to be exploited because we refuse to deal with reality. We would rather get caught up in the good feelings that we get from these religions. Just like any drug it's main purpose is to get you high so that you can avoid dealing with the pains and disappointments you have to confront in your real life.
    This is what the role of religion has been in the Africans life and that is why are present condition as a people has not gotting any better but worse.
    Our religious training has not prepared us to effectively deal with the real problems African men and women face in this world. instead it has done the complete opposite and that is what the true intentions of these religions are in the first place.

This is just how I see it brothers and sisters.

5. uplift19

Ratings:
    +12
    But is it just religion that divides us though? It seems that while the Black church is the largest Black institution there is, dating back to the reconstruction era, there are just as many non-religious folks who still cannot unite.

6. youngblackceo

youngblackceo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    No, it is not in itself what has kept us divided, but the type of training these institutions produce almost ensures that our behavior will be counter-productive.

7. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Also media controlled.
    The constant negativity being presented about us.

On the religion issue we are so busy praying that we forget to actually do!
    Not saying that there isn't power in prayer but say oh the lord will work it out without any effort of your own is crazy!
    The first place black folks run to is church when anything is wrong or violence or just give up all the way.
    The ones who are really making it forget about the ones who are still climbing to reach where they are today!
    Or the ones that don't have are trying to take it away from the ones that do have!

8. AFRIMERICAN

AFRIMERICAN Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Afrimerican View

The major road of dissension, and dissection of the Afrimerican race is very much steeped in religious ideologies, and practices that are counter productive not only to Afrimericans, but to all because the tenents of popular religions were not for all, but were specifically written by and for Jewish People.

That said, some, most of the wars have had a religious slant, followed by or entwined with material gain in some form, with one group exercising the myths to take.

Stevie Wonder said it best when he said, "With a gun and Bible in hand, you say give us what we want, or we'll destroy", and for Afrimericans, and African (Black) people worldwide, we have been conditioned to lay down, and worse, we have been conditioned to fight each other(i.e. ourselves) using a reasoning and belief system that is not in our overall favor.

The other major method of that is, the vast wealth of information is becoming more and orwellianesqe, and Europeans/Whites are continuously rewriting history to deliver the message they want delivered, and Afrimericans suck up this information and debate it ad inifitum, and in the end , they still end up telling the whitemans story.

The other major influence is the media, and presently in America, the media is corporate and government controlled , with persons from both sides working illegally to present what they want to present, and shutting out any and everyone else. And again, Afrimericans are absent, except as the buffon, the hoochie, the poor, the criminal, the rapper, or the sports star. There are Mexican owned T.V Stations, Korean-owned T.V. stations, Chinese Owned T.V. Stations, but not one Afrimerican/Black Black owned T.V. station in America.

And the list goes on and on and on.

At present, because of the work this writer does in regard to Afrimerican Identity, I have to say a great fault for the current state of Afrimericans is directly related to Afrimerican leaders, elected and non-elected, high profile, and wealthy Afrimerican entertainers, and sports figures who have been co-opted and have abandoned the Afrimerican community under the delusion they have made it out, and like whites, have acquired the mindset that their money has given them equality, that they are equal.

But, you only have to look at Micheal Jackson to see, when whites can no longer use these pepole, they are discarded too, and that's the twist, because so many are trying to stay in the white mans car, they willing turn their back on other Afrimericans.

I strayed off topic, but I'm sure the message is evident, Religion, Education, Money, Media, and Politics are all arenas that Afrimericans lack effective representation to cause a unifying thread for the race, and until someone, or a group of Afrimerican someones stand up, and lead, Like Dr. King, or Malcolm X. or the B.P., all we'll have is endless debates.

9. uplift19

Ratings:
    +12
    Afrimerican? That's a new one on me. This brings me back to my original post, that we can't even agree on what to call ourselves let alone one thing to fight for. If Katrina didn't wake us up, what will?

I think media is a component of controlling what we think and what we think about, but what have we really done with media when we DO own and control it? Look at Radio One right now. Look at BET--it was sold--but even when it was Black-owned how much did it contribute to our liberation? We do not value ownership of our own institutions.

Do we have any leaders who have not been co-opted, in your opinion? If there are any left, maybe we should be listening to them.:?:

Hmm, well, there is a new Black Panther Party, and both Malcolm X and Dr. King have their respective "disciples." It is also convenient to talk about dead folks, because at the time they were in their prime many of us in fact did not and would not have followed them. I suppose hindsight is 20/20.

10. uplift19

Ratings:
    +12