Black People : Unity what about my freedom?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by nexis5, May 3, 2001.

1. nexis5

nexis5 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you ever get the strange feeling that a large percentage of the AFRICAN AMERICAN population are over concerned with doing their own thing and unity is something of the past by dreaming to be free at last?

I'm sure WE can list all the "WE as BLACK people dont..." and "WE as black people need.." statements till WE all kill over.

Is unity played out?

2. nexis5

Ratings:
    +0
    huhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn???????????

No comments? Ah Well.

3. shaneak

shaneak Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Support engineer
    Ratings:
    +7
    Pardon!!!

I am truly offended!! I am the current Generation. And i disagree. We groom from what we were raised on and integrate with what goes on in the world today. Much of which our past generations have set back and allowed to happen. Back when Kennedy was President our past generation was running around talking about Black Power and killing off everyone..destroying your own neighborhoods out of stupidity, smoking pot and whatever other drugs you were interested in, having sex and so forth. But then the next generation comes along and you want to blame it all on them. That's BS!!! I am sick and tired of our past generations expecting us to pick up where you guys dropped off...where they decided to screw up. Don't get me wrong...our generation has its issues but most people on crack in this world today aren't the current generation. Most kids in gangs didn't make up those gangs...they are followers of the past generations who started those gangs whom they look up to do the love and attention that their parents neglect to give them. We as people need unity but our unity was lost a long time ago. When we tried and end results still turned out as us hurting ourselves rather than helping each other. There is a big age gap but reality really needs to set in on a lot of adults out there. People say that we can't do this and we are not suppose to do that. I am a future leader of america....My background don't check out as peachy but I personally feel i got more sense that some of these adults running around out here. When our generation screw up the adults complain and the government make a new law. When the past generations screw up they call it an accident an mistake and tap them on hand..don't do that again. But they really shouldn't have done some of it the first place with all their "years of experience" and all. We follow in their examples... so what do they have to say for themselves?

4. nexis5

Ratings:
    +0
    No kemetstry.

The human condition is beseeched with iniquities, we seek the cure. The examples you qoute of the "present generation" do not spoil the whole. What you see as fault on the "present generation" I see as an ULTIMATE FAULT on the preceeding generation(60s-70s). The younger generation were once innocent children. Your children, left to fend for themselves with no rites of passage, no acknowledgement of substance other than DREAM speeches and JESUS.

Meanwhile other communities stake claim on natural resources and issue out measures of approval and standards which brings us no avail.

Regardless of the volly of opinion, I take ownership of my life and respect the next man. So far the consequences have been a good 30 years in the making.

5. balisina

balisina Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Unity was never played in

The idea of black people gathering around a single ideal and promoting that idea as "unity" was/is fantasy at best. It couldn't never happen. the "played out" thang you feel is just reality setteling in.

we underestimate individualism as a bad thing among black people. we should respect our different interests and ideologies and perfrences and just committ to each other to give our support despite the differences.Instead, we want to say what "black" is and what "black" is not. Anybody who don't measure up is called a Uncle Tom, a sellout, oreos and others. That is stupid and anit-progressive. Is unity played out? About **** time. Now maybe we can start doing thngs for real. Do we relly need an agend? Isn't life , lberty and the pursuit of happiness agenda enough. To not discourage a fellow brother or sister, and to help all we can should be what we are about.

6. shaneak

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    Now we find sense in this....

Balsina: I couldn't agree more with you. Unity is supporting another. Looking pass what you believe in and standing behind your fellow brother in support of what he or she believes in. Rather than knocking them down or blaming them for their won beliefs.

Nexis: Once again. I could not have said it better. You spoke nothing but the truth. Yet our past generations still see fault in us. Even though we merely try to survive off of what they left for us to live on.

Kemestry: You talk as a man of wisdom. Sense. So for you to say such things seems so beneath you. To think that our generation is at fault for your mistakes. It wasn't until recently that our blacks truly and really started voting. Do you expect 15-17 year old teenagers to votes. Sorry...that is illegal. But those who can, do...if they believe. But then again...this years election showed how valid our right, our action, afffected todays government. We still lost...and we tried...we **** sure did. I don't know hardly anyone who didn't vote this year. But by cheating...lying and the our political government do..we still lost. What does that tell you. You speak on this and you say that our past generation is always talking....what about doing. Because we look back on what you all have done and what succeeded and what didn't and try not to go back and do that...you blames us for its affects. Who do you think before i was born this world turned into the havoc that we live in today. We this generation...ages between 18 and 25 near 30. We were infants...never even existed when crack and marijuana came into this world. We predominantly didn't know of its existance until we became of age. 17-20. Now our children see it even its earlier stages. Those children...watching our current blacks go into back alleys just to go get a hit. We have children my age who were born as crack heads...addicts. Do to our past generations. This is a cause and and effect on the current generation.

We are not shocked at racism...we are just sick and tired of hearing everyone complain about it consistently. Why...what reason...it hasn't helped us in the past 30 years...complaining. Martin Luther Kind died for our freedom. yet we are still not free so everyone say. If i'm not mistaken we got more priviledges that he did back then. You should be grateful and still 7 out of ten blacks still sit in the back of the bus. If i'm not mistaken...we have the same equal rights as whites...the only difference is do to the fact the we still and do to your mentalities will always be minorities that we have to work harder to get what we want. But who cares...hard work will teach you a hell of a lot. Things don't come easy...some of us blacks are just like siblings. You have a sister and brother. The sister since she is a girl get any and everything she wants..but the boy has to work for it and earn it and he's jealous of his sister because she doesn't. That poor girl is not taught to survive in this world. She is taught to survive by a man taking care of her. We must understand that we are different...yet equal. It may be hard but we can do whatever we put our minds too and stop saying what our current generation is doing wrong...what our past generation has done...and what can we do for ourselves. We will never have unity if we continue to pin the blame of our mistakes on others. Did you know that a white was the first to bring drugs into the United states...our past generation was the ones who decided to submit to his needs. He was the one that put your brothers and sistas on crack...our parents and fathers. He is the one that cause neighborhoods to disintegrate...our people to turn against each other. I saw a documentary on a case in philadelphia where our past generation..."Black Power" But there group was called the move who basically because of their own beliefs killed off a group of kids..they put their own kids lives in danger. They destroyed a neighborhood. Trying to get someone to hear what they had to say. HELLO...say something with your education...with statistics..facts...stock..equity. But then our past was so busy trying to be equal in the wrong way they hurt the present generation more than help our generation. Now you make some who are strong and some who are weak..some who complain and some who hurt our community. It is not our fault this world is the way it is today. The pollution that is hear and killing our ozone layers...that started way before my time. I may promote some of it now but if I'm not mistake..that is the way i was taught..by my past generation. I hope you read balisina's and nexis reply..they spoke nothing but the truth. Your not seeing things for what they are. I know our past generation lives in denial for the mistakes that they have made..they raise their kids not to do the things they do but must understand that their blood runs through their genarations veins... They must show them a better way in order for them to make this world a better place. If you can't do that...then the past generation will still have no one else to blame. I mean come on...our past president committed adultry..more power to him...his wife is still their...so what does that say for our country...we sure as hell didn't do it. Shoot now adays as stats put it...the white race has a higher stat in married couples than black...so we nip that in bud pretty quickly. We don't hide our bad attributes and we this generation don't fault our mistakes on no one but ourselves. We simply ask that our past generations stop blaming us for everything and expecting us to fix everything that you guys have broken and let us live our lives. Be our own leaders. Because right now..i don't know not one Black leader that i can think of that i need to be looking up to other than myself. **** Jesse Jackson ain't even a roll model anymore. And what generation did he come from. Come on now...lets be true to ourselves. See things for what they really are.

7. nexis5

Ratings:
    +0
    Reality settling in.

balisina! "Never played in." Interesting observation.

This is something else I feel settling in. Although individualism may be deemed counterproductive to the idea of UNITY, I truly feel that our past history pushes us to that, individualistic freedom. No matter how astute or ill informed it may be.

Choices. I have recently claimed freedom of religion and have been ostracised to some degree.

8. shaneak

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    yea... I noticed. But she did keep it neutral...sometimes its best to be that way. And nexis your statement holds true: "I truly feel that our past history pushes us to that, individualistic freedom."

It does. I was watching the black movie yesterday watching this old man get slapped down by a cop because he would tell him what he wanted them to know. Just them tired of the white folks getting away with everything..and they felt like they needed to stand their ground for once. It was interesting. Our individualism is derived from many cases. Our skin tone...our accent...our style. our thought process. We are taught to be an individual to do things on our own..and ask for help only if we need it. Your issue with religion...well its just that...religion. Our society is based off of religion our laws are ruled by a religion. The funny thing about that is...we are continuing to strive on a proprietized religion as we grow into so many different cultures so many different religions. Kind of make living in this Country questionable...whom shall I follow...individualized. And so we turn to ourselves..and follow I...for

I shall follow me...
    through the thickening of the forest.
    I shall guide me through those green pastures.
    Let my mind run free...
    For the only one to judge me is me...
    Ridicule and expectations...
    We live by the rules of the proclamation...
    But who shall follow me but me...
    As i stand proud letting my mind run free...

9. nexis5

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah reality is a MOFO.

A coworker(white) had a class assignment to do a report on MLK. Personally I think he's smoking the writings of Dr. MLK. Dude was flipping out explaining one qoute to me. I have never seen someone so high off of MLK.

"...every mountain made flat..."

Equality. There will never be equality in a CAPITALISTIC CESSPOOL!

I've gotten to the point where I want to live equality and not wait and dream about it. This is my understanding. Shaking out the capitalistic factor, refusing to be discounted to zero.

10. shaneak

United States
    Ratings:
    +7
    Unfortunately

I don't think we will ever be equal not until the past generations are wiped out or no longer have a say on what goes on in this country. We still have the president and our congress...all consisting in the past generation still running around trying to conform but thier own ways and needs. Many still live in the past. And until we can live for positive economical and social growth in this country rather on what they think we as people need..not considering all the main factors and what truly is really important to this country then. We will continue to have issues. Equality is just a word...and the funny this is..so many whites get so exstatic about black people...some more than our own race. They accomplished something...they feel...they have payed us back in learning a part of our history...LOL now that is some funny stuff.

have more to say but gotta step out...brb