Black People : Unemployed Friends & Relatives?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Hello Family,

In this very depressed economy, i just wonder if you have friends, Sisters or Brothers, that are unemployed ... have been diligently looking for work ... but just can't find it?

It seems in times like these, we are always the ones to feel the brunt of :censored: !

In most cases, we are dependant on others to give us kind considerations. Of course, since times are hard, they are going to give such to their own friends and relatives long before they consider us.

Is my view tainted, since i do have unemployed friends and relatives that can't seem to find work ... or are you all seeing the same?

:heart:

Destee

2. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    I can't get a job for anything. I turn in apps left and right..online..offline..went through the school..its like entering a sweepstakes. *sigh* :maddd:

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I have also had trouble finding a job but I think it's because I don't have much work experience.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    Wal Mart has sent all the jobs to Asia.

5. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well,

the problem I have is this.... I've been trying to finish school so that I can get a job that can support me and my family. I have earned money for school so that's not the problem. My problem is childcare and bills. I had a wonderful provider who I still owe today for care she gave months ago but is allowing me to pay what I can when I can..(God bless you Vhan) I've tried working and going to school but I always get burnt out. Here there aren't many jobs and the jobs that are open pay very little, not even worth getting because by the time you pay bills and child care you always end up in the hole..at least I do. Time are hard..infact very hard. this past year i've had my lights turned off twice and hav almost lost my apartment with a hole other host of things. I guess that's just life huh?... Well sure hope things turn around...soon!

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Three words my Family:

GOD IS ABLE!

Put your troubles in the hands of God, and he will Make Things Happen!

CD

7. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    In addition to being unemployed, there are also a lot of people who are "underemployed", which means to work a job (in some cases 2 or more) that doesn't pay a livable wage. The working poor is increasing in this country.

8. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Gotten tough and getting tougher

I have some unemployed friends and relatives. This train is not stopping anytime soon. The current administration has jobs open in the military that is what they want.

The jobs have been created to be service related. ( may I take your order )
    ( clean up in aisle ten ) Low paying jobs. The country turning Bio-technology has shut us out. The companies going to chip, software has impacted many. It has me. But I know they will need me soon.

Hang on snoopy .. snoopy hang on.. sing it with me folks. :dance1:

I have to agree with Nisa. I have been looking for two years this July. In all this time I have had two interviews. Many interested employers, but no serious call backs after the agency contact. This filtering of applicants by agencies keep you from the employer based on their arbitrary decisions. Employers are requiring you to have the experience of five people. I seem to have four of the skills. Go back to school. The education expense is a write off on your taxes.

I am going to school to ( bring me up to date ) get a skill that may open me up to great income. Everyone can use a digital drafter ( AUTOCAD ) and I plan to work independently and get contracts.

The unemployment agency when they used to handle this was more efficient, but now they collect a pay check to sit, and hand out PC time. I don’t need PC time I have the same resources available at home. The same jobs they get I get.

What I need is a solid gold resume that only my employer can have and keep if I’m hired. LoL

I have been thinking what can I do? Over the years I have put together some things that can make a difference. I have my wholesale license, and I can accept major credit cards. So I’m looking at what to do, what to sell ( product or service ) . I need to work it. We all need the ( OPM ) method. Other people’s money program. I need to get my ducks in a row, and take all the things at my disposal, and bring them into fruition. I have some ideas, and this summer I need to gamble on a few. Win or loose. I will win. Because I won’t ever quit, I will keep trying.

9. Nisa

Nisa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    SMH..yep all there are..are service jobs. Now, I'll just have to roll with the punches, if they do call me and interview me. I turned in 3 apps yesterday,doing a resume right now for 2 job fairs (retail and for a cruise line),and another one with the city. I hope I get something. I'm 23..and I feel like a bum. :bye:

10. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16

Nisa

Don't feel bad.

It's been a rough 2 or 3 years for me off and on as well.

When I was 23 I had a hard time finding a job also...which is why I went to trade school to make sure I had skills to take with me where ever I went and not have to rely so much on others.

In this "bling bling" culture where everyone wants to portray themselves as having a good family, good job, and happy successful life...very few people will admit to being unemployed or unsuccessful in any way.

Especially on the internet where you can readily lie about or make up your idenity.

Some negro'll be 45 years old still living with his mother and portray himself as a 30 year old hot-shot lawyer with a wonderful family never having a problem in the world if he think's someone will believe him.

The fact is nearly half of black people and MOST black men in America are either unemployed or under-employed. Even before the economy went to the dogs, most of us had problems staying employed and making a living for ourselves.

You can go into any urban environment and readily see this.