Black Spirituality Religion : Understanding Psalms 2

Music Producer

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 31, 2004
Understanding Psalms 2

Psalms 2 is about the rage of the heathens. It is prophesy as to a vain plot (religious writings) heathen kings, leader and rulers will invent and plan in an attempt to crush the religion of a people called Israel, mainly Judah. The Psalm was most likely written by David the King while listening to Nathan the prophet Speaking as GOD.

1: Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
2: The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,

The heathen kings, leaders and rulers understood that they would never defeat the people of Israel as long as they maintained the Covenant and had an Anointed King. Thus they all had a great meeting to device a religion that could weaken the people of Israel and make them believe they had an Anointed King.

7: I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

GOD is explaining to David the King and the reader that the vain religious plot that will be created by the heathen kings, leaders and rulers will be marked with a decree, theology by GOD. That theology will be Thou art my Son.

Now the reader begins to see that any religious writings that show GOD committing to a theology of a Son would be the Sign that it is the vain religious writings plotted by the heathen kings, leaders and rulers to keep the descendants of Israel defeated, breaking the Covenant and against their True GOD.

The Psalm has nothing to do with David the King and his Anointing. When the Psalm was written David was already King. The Psalm deals with exposing the heathens plot to foil David’s lineage of Anointing.

Psalm 2 is the first Messianic Psalm in the book of Psalms, meaning that it contains a prophecy about the Messiah, Jesus Christ. It prophesies the coming kingdom, with Christ as King, and warns that those who do not bow to Him will be judged. No author for this Psalm is mentioned in the book of Psalms, but Peter ascribes this Psalm to David when he cites it in Acts 4.

This Psalm is organized into the following four sections: 1. The rebellion against the Messiah's kingdom by the rulers of the earth (v. 1-3); 2. God the Father's reply in word and deed (v. 4-6); 3. The coming King and Kingdom described by the Messiah, Jesus Christ, Himself (v. 7-9); 4. An exhortation to submission to the coming King by the Holy Spirit (v. 10-12).

The Psalmist begins with the question "Why?", concerning the reason that the people and the nations rebel against the Lord. Note that no answer to this question is given. In fact, there is no logical reason or explanation as to why people knowingly rebel against the God of the universe, their Creator, and even their Savior. These questions can be asked of multitudes in history. Before, during and after the time of Christ, people have united against the Lord.

Many who would not unite on other grounds, unite against the Lord. For instance, during Christ's life, the Sadducees and the Pharisees were often united in their opposition to Christ. Though doctrinally they could not agree on very much, they often tried to turn the crowds against Christ with their questions on doctrine. Herod and Pilate are another unlikely pair of allies against Christ. Concerning the day of Christ's trial, Luke informs us: "That day Herod and Pilate became friends--before this they had been enemies" (Luke 23:12). According to Peter, the prophecy in this Psalm is partially fulfilled by Herod and Pilate's opposition to Christ. In a prayer, after citing the first two verses of this Psalm, Peter points out: "Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed" (Acts 4:27).

Peter cited this Psalm in Acts 4 in order to comfort Christ's disciples. He was making the point that the opposition to Christ and His disciples was prophesied by God. Peter went on to say in his prayer that Herod and Pilate "did what Your power and will had decided beforehand should happen" (Acts 4:28). So also, we should realize that God is in control, even when we face opposition.

The ultimate fulfillment of the prophesied rebellion in this Psalm is, of course, the rebellion of the earth during the end times. In the book of Revelation speaks about the spirits of demons that "go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty...Then they gathered the kings together to the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon" (Rev. 16:14,16).

In verse 3, the rebels state the motive for their opposition. They view God's law as "chains" and "fetters" that they want to "break off" and "throw away". In this, they show their ignorance. God's law is just, holy, righteous, fair and, for those who keep it, profitable , edifying and life-giving. "The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple" (Ps. 19:7). "So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good" (Rom. 7:12). "We know that the law is good if a man uses it properly" (I Tim. 1:8). Nevertheless, the rebels see it as "chains" and "fetters".

Interestingly, there is a section of this Psalm devoted to each person of the Trinity. In this section, we have God the Father's response to the rebellion. The Father here is depicted as the One in control. First, He shows contempt for the rebellion, then He shows His wrath, then He states His sovereignty over the situation.

Conspiracies against the God of the universe are ridiculous and foolish. Thus, the Father shows His contempt for the rebellion by laughing and scoffing. In a similar passage in Psalm 37, the reason for God's mocking is given: "But the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming" (Ps. 37:13). God knows His own power and ability to quash any rebellion. However, He refrains from judging the rebellious because He is patient and longsuffering, giving the rebels a chance to repent. Nevertheless, at the appointed time, God will judge those conspiring against Him when He "rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath".

His judgment will be a confirmation of His anointing of Christ, for during the judgment He says: "I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill". Note that the Father says "I have installed". Jesus Christ came to earth with the full backing and authority of the Father. Note also, Christ is described by the Father as "my King", for Christ was anointed by God and will be sent by God to rule the earth.

In this last section, the Holy Spirit, through David, warns the rebels to repent, warning them of the judgment. This is in line with one of the purposes of the Holy Spirit. He is to "convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment" (John 16:8).

He exhorts the kings to "be wise". Again, rebellion against the God of the universe is foolish and will lead to death. Also, the kings and the rulers will have no excuse for what they are doing because they have been "warned".

Significantly, God gives the rebels a chance to repent. He offers mercy even to those in open rebellion against Him. Moreover, He also tells them how to obtain it. First, they are to "serve the Lord with fear". It is the clear indication of scripture that we are to "fear" the Lord. "The LORD Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread" (Isa. 8:13); "Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man" (Ecces. 12:13); "Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear" (I Pet. 1:17); etc. Our lives should reflect that we fear the Lord. If we truly fear the Lord, if we truly understand His power and sovereignty, if we truly understand His wrath, we will do what He says. Here, the Psalmist says to "serve" the Lord with fear. We should understand that it is our privilege to serve the Lord. Too many people think that they are doing God a favor by serving Him. Take note! "Serve the Lord with fear".

Second, in order to receive mercy, the rebels are to "rejoice with trembling". Even in our rejoicing, we are to, having the awareness of the holiness of God, tremble with fear. To "rejoice with trembling" is to recognize God's mercy on one side (thus, the rejoicing) and His wrath on the other (thus, the trembling). While in the midst of the blessings of God, we may forget that we are being blessed by a God that demands righteousness and reverence. Remember to "rejoice with trembling".

Third, the rebels are to "kiss the Son". The kiss is a symbol of affection, homage and subjection. Thus, we are to love Jesus, worship Jesus, and serve Jesus. It is no disgrace, even for a king, to "kiss the Son"; it is no disgrace, even for the rulers of the earth, to submit to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

If these solicitations to receive His mercy are ignored, the Lord will "be angry" and the rebels will "be destroyed". Rejected grace brings God's anger and the greater penalty. To reject God's free gift of salvation is to insult God and to denigrate the sacrifice Christ made. Indeed, God's anger is just.

Note that "his wrath can flare up in a moment". Be ready! The end can come at any time. The day of God's wrath is near. "While people are saying, `Peace and safety', destruction will come on them suddenly" (I Thess. 5:3).

But don't worry, as long as you "take refuge in Him", you will be "blessed", even through the day of God's wrath. The Psalm ends with a blessing. God always emphasizes His grace and mercy over His wrath and judgment. God's wrath is called "his strange work" (Isa. 28:21). When God describes Himself to Moses, again His mercy and grace are emphasized: "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished" (Ex. 34:6,7

http://www.scripturestudies.com/Vol1/A2/a2_psa.html

Pss.2

[1] Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
[2] The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
[3] Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
[4] He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
[5] Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
[6] Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
[7] I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
[8] Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
[9] Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
[10] Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
[11] Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
[12] Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Pss.2

[1] Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
[2] The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
[3] Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
[4] He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
[5] Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
[6] Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
[7] I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
[8] Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
[9] Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
[10] Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
[11] Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
[12] Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Psalms is about King David Cherryblossom. The Old Testament doesn't prophesy of a coming messiah named Jesus. The ancient Hebrew would not have ever let any such ideology fall from their lips so this whole theory is based on a theology that is much older then the Hebrews or the Hebrew scriptures. In the most 'Literal-but-fictitious' sense of the Hebrew documentations any speech of these people always dealt with a King of Yisra`el/Asar`el. The word 'Messiah/Mesu' was not thrown around without the crowning of a king being involved.

Revisit your scriptures and understand that the Scriptures of old were speaking of the house of Yisra`el as a whole or speaking specifically to 'KING DAVID' and not his seed 'KING SOLOMON'. The emasculate conception means that Jesus could not have come from the line of King David being that he was born of his mother. Unlike the Khememu the Hebrew received their crown-ship threw their father (paternal) so he couldn't have been called the seed of David through his mother, whom was from the house of Yahudi. Such a destination would have been against the rules of God himself biblically.

Now to show that the scriptures was not in any form making reference to a man whom name never appeared once in reference to him in the Old Testament, I will provide scriptures which show without doubt that what is being used as prophesy for Jesus is in fact talking about King David/Twt/King Thoth or better phrased - David the apple of Gods eye/Thoth the apple of Ra's eye.

Jeremiah 30:7 Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it. 8 For it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him: 9 But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up unto them. 10 Therefore fear thou not, O my servant Jacob, saith the LORD; neither be dismayed, O Israel: for, lo, I will save thee from afar, and thy seed from the land of their captivity; and Jacob shall return, and shall be in rest, and be quiet, and none shall make him afraid.

Again -

Ezekiel 37:21 And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land: 22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all: 23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwelling places, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God. 24 And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them. 25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children FOREVER: and my servant David shall be their prince FOREVER.

There is no Jesus in involved in any of the scriptures given above and these are the Major Prophets of the Old Testament who foretells of those who are to come. We still have another major prophet who has something to day about the Messiah a.k.a. King of Yisra`el/Asar`el.

Again -

Isaiah 55:3 Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David. 4 Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.

When using the book of Psalms you have to first take into account that its actually about King David and YHWH ... King David is the actual Messiah that the scriptures is speaking about because that is who YHWH said will rule forever more an not somebody named Jesus of the New Testament.

When we speak of the book of Isaiah we are speaking about the whole nation of Yisra`el/Asar`el as one. Were taking about the whole nation being bruised for transgressions, spear piercing the side of the Hebrew nation and so forth. There is no Messiah named Jesus Christ. PERIOD!!!

Peace

Ru2religous

In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Psalms is about King David Cherryblossom. The Old Testament doesn't prophesy of a coming messiah named Jesus. The ancient Hebrew would not have ever let any such ideology fall from their lips so this whole theory is based on a theology that is much older then the Hebrews or the Hebrew scriptures. In the most 'Literal-but-fictitious' sense of the Hebrew documentations any speech of these people always dealt with a King of Yisra`el/Asar`el. The word 'Messiah/Mesu' was not thrown around without the crowning of a king being involved.

Revisit your scriptures and understand that the Scriptures of old were speaking of the house of Yisra`el as a whole or speaking specifically to 'KING DAVID' and not his seed 'KING SOLOMON'. The emasculate conception means that Jesus could not have come from the line of King David being that he was born of his mother. Unlike the Khememu the Hebrew received their crown-ship threw their father (paternal) so he couldn't have been called the seed of David through his mother, whom was from the house of Yahudi. Such a destination would have been against the rules of God himself biblically.

Now to show that the scriptures was not in any form making reference to a man whom name never appeared once in reference to him in the Old Testament, I will provide scriptures which show without doubt that what is being used as prophesy for Jesus is in fact talking about King David/Twt/King Thoth or better phrased - David the apple of Gods eye/Thoth the apple of Ra's eye.

Jeremiah 30:7 Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it. 8 For it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will break his yoke from off thy neck, and will burst thy bonds, and strangers shall no more serve themselves of him: 9 But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up unto them. 10 Therefore fear thou not, O my servant Jacob, saith the LORD; neither be dismayed, O Israel: for, lo, I will save thee from afar, and thy seed from the land of their captivity; and Jacob shall return, and shall be in rest, and be quiet, and none shall make him afraid.

Again -

Ezekiel 37:21 And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land: 22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all: 23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwelling places, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God. 24 And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them. 25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children FOREVER: and my servant David shall be their prince FOREVER.

There is no Jesus in involved in any of the scriptures given above and these are the Major Prophets of the Old Testament who foretells of those who are to come. We still have another major prophet who has something to day about the Messiah a.k.a. King of Yisra`el/Asar`el.

Again -

Isaiah 55:3 Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David. 4 Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.

When using the book of Psalms you have to first take into account that its actually about King David and YHWH ... King David is the actual Messiah that the scriptures is speaking about because that is who YHWH said will rule forever more an not somebody named Jesus of the New Testament.

When we speak of the book of Isaiah we are speaking about the whole nation of Yisra`el/Asar`el as one. Were taking about the whole nation being bruised for transgressions, spear piercing the side of the Hebrew nation and so forth. There is no Messiah named Jesus Christ. PERIOD!!!

Peace

Ru2religous

ru2religious,

This is a mighty dissertation you have planted, it almost appears to be without slight, and very tight. Given what I have just stated, and to forgo discourse on it for the moment, what is your interpretation of Genesis 3: 15?

My only interest is to see or read your understanding to the above question, not a preaching to the choir, so to speak, for I have already credited this quote as a dissertation of sorts.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back