Black People : Uncle Tom's Cabin Discussion

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SophiaG, Aug 29, 2010.

1. SophiaG

SophiaG Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    Have you ever read it?

I'm re-reading it for the first time in 6 years. I dont remember it as being particularly memorable for me.

What do you think of this book?

The back cover says:

"When Uncle Tom's Cabin was published in 1853, it became an international blockbuster, selling more than 300,000 copies in the United States alone in its first year. Progressive for her time, Harriet Beecher Stowe was one of the earliest writers to ofer a shockingly realistic depiction of slavery. Her stirring indictment and portrait of human dignity in the most inhumane cirumstances enlightened hundreds of thousands by revealing the human costs of slavery, which had until then been cloaked and justified by the racist misperceptions of the time. Langston Hughs called it "a moral battle cry," noting that "the love and warmth and humanity that went into its writing keep it alive a century later," and Tolstoy described it as "flowing from love of God and man."

2. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    I came on here to post a differen article

when I noticed this one -

The only reason why I'm posting to this one is because I actually have the movie on and I'm watching it right now. I was watching it before I came to destee and that's a trip to me that someone else felt the need to watch or read the book the same time that I felt the need.

If anyone has seen the movie you can find it the full one on google or view it right here on destee - below.

[GOOGLE]3617385453924901875[/GOOGLE]

Peace

Ru2religious

3. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Dude.

That's a classic! 'Have it on dvd.

...Though it's a pseudo-docu, it is historically accurate and make "roots"
    look like sesame street.

4. ru2religious

ru2religious Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,891
    Exactly!!!

I was reviewing minute 37:30 seconds and it reminds me of what is going on today - little white girl has black boy in chain. Just terrible -

Peace

Ru2religious

5. SophiaG

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    I'm bumping this up because I am still reading the book and don't want to lose track of the thread in the mean-time.

6. SophiaG

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    Bump once again. I am ALMOST done with re-reading this book. 60 pages left. :D

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

Welcome to Destee.com SophiaG, I truly can identify with this, it happen to me too:). But there is another way to not loose track of a thread, by remembering the Forum or home-base of the thread, one can easily return to it at any time.

In this case, it was posted in the Open Forum, and due to rotation, it will fall off the front page or 1st page, making it necessary to search the remaining pages until you find it...Peace In, just trying to be helpful.

8. SophiaG

United States
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yes, i was just actually thinking of this problem this morning and thought that maybe if I bookmarked the thread that it'd be easier for me. I didn't know what to do because I am not a premium member, so I can't view my threads in my User CP like other members on this board can. I'll bookmark my threads from now on.

Oh and I think I may finish Uncle Tom's Cabin today. I'm like this close to finishing it *makes a sign with her thumb and forefinger*. I"m at the part now where the author is discussing whether or not the situations/characters within the novel itself were realistic.

Here's a quote from the page I"m on right now.

"The writer has given only a faint shadow, a dim picture, of the anguish and despair that at, at this very moment, riving thousands of hearts, shattering thousands of families, and driving a helpless and sensitive race to frenzy and despair. There are those living who know the mothers whom this accursed traffic has driven to the murder of their children; and themselves seeking in death a shelter from woes more dreaded than death. Nothing of tragedy can be written, can be spoken, can be conceived, that equals the frightful reality of scenes daily and hourly acting on our shores beneath the shadow of American law, and the shadow of the cross of Christ." - Harriet Beecher Stowe (Uncle Tom's Cabin, Page: 630)

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Peace and Love!

That's great SophiaG, Bookmarking and/or selecting threads as Favorites will work, I've had to do the same thing...Peace In,

10. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    I don't remember reading this in Amer. lit class but I may watch the movie.