Black People : Uncalled for Assumptions, Labels, and Criticisms. . .WHY?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by aglo, Jun 22, 2006.

1. aglo

aglo Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    misery loves company. they not happy so they want to make you not happy.

3. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    uncalled for...

because most people are followers who don't have an original thought in thier heads,therefore when someone such as yourself a free thinker comes along with your own way,it drives them nuts...keep going your own way my sister,it's beautiful.

4. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    The people you speak of that are unprovoked that make assumptions,etc about you do so not only out of "ignorance" but curiosity. I have been in quite a few situations similiar to yours and I can tell you that the assumptions comes from people who think that they can "read people like a book" on the basis of what they look like.

the curiosity factor comes into play similiar to religion.I have known people who were taken to their respective religious meeting places from the time they were babies who come after me and the fact that my parents left their religions before I was born so I never went to any form of religious meetings except for funerals.Some of the ones I know come after me like a bat out of hell for not doing what they do BUT they are always asking me questions about what I "believe",etc so that tells me they want to know more.

Some do feel that they are helping people out with their negative tone but that is out of not knowing about the other person in the first place AND assuming they (the person with the negativity) are "right" and you are "wrong".

We owe them no explanation of they are going to be negative, remember people "fear what they do not understand", and the first reaction to fear is anger/ curiosity THEN running away.

I guess all you and I can do is to keep trading in the positive dialogue for now but not necessarily tomorrow.

5. FLATFOOTFLOOGIE

FLATFOOTFLOOGIE Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2

Sister Aglo, don't sweat the small stuff. Thousands and thousands of folks have had to deal with the resistance of others when seeking and walking along their own pathways. It's just human nature that when we see another seizining control of their lives, that we, the out-of-control, seek to get control by interfering. Think of the drowning person, and how they flail at those who are coming to preserve their lives, and you get a picture of the inner-world of those who are questioning you so.

On another less extreme and more philosophical tip, the resistance of others is a good thing that you should actually embrace. They are testing the mettle of your conviction, arent' they? That's a good thing, because it will tell them and yourself, that you are serious about what you're doing. And since they will all fall by the wayside when they tire of prying into your personal affairs anyway, that's why I say don't sweat them, and don't let 'em sweat you. Many of these folks will be following your lead someday, and thanking you for showing them THE WAY. Continue blazing your trail, and don't look back.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

7. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    “If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau (American Essayist, Poet and Philosopher, 1817-1862)

and a few other quotes from thoreau but, wait; there's more! <grin>

nobody seems to like free-thinkers - that has made my life very very lonely!

but then, i haven't said anything that others haven't already said.

stay YOU, regardless!