Black People : Umoja Karamu

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by cherryblossom, Nov 22, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    WHAT IS THANKSGIVING?
    What is thanksgiving and what is an Afrikan alternative to it? The Afrikan alternative is called Umoja Karamu. Many feel thanksgiving poses no personal threat, labeling it as a harmless day "the man" lets us off from the plantation enabling families to come together and overstuff our bodies (temple) with impure, toxic, flesh-decaying products in the name of family.

For some reason, the Afrikan family has used this tyme only to gather in celebration, not reconstruction. Personally, I feel the Afrikan family should eliminate all celebrationz and hallow-daze because there's more work that needz to be done than celebration. Do you think Rockefeller and the rest of the New World Order crew is chillin', stuffin' toxic foodz into their bodies, watchin' football all day?? Everyone is planning but us! This is no tyme for celebration, this is a tyme for planning, but that's just my two-cents...

However, for those that cannot get out of their festive moodz and need something to celebrate, the alternative to Thanksgiving is Umoja Karamu—which we will detail in a bit. But first, liberation of the mind comes from eliminating ignorance from one's psyche. So I pose the question, "What is the history of Thanksgiving and Who Am I Really Thanking? and what part of history am I forgetting (or ignoraant of)?" Let's go back...

COMPLETE ARTICLE: http://www.daghettotymz.com/rkyvz/articles/thanks/thanks.html

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Excellent Alternative

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    [​IMG]

Umoja Kamaru, Unity in 2009; what are you grateful for?

Umoja Karamu is celebrated on November 22nd. It is always held on the fourth Sunday in November. This celebration was created in 1971 to bring in added meaning and solidarity into the black family through ceremony and symbol. Umoja Karamu means “unity feast” in the African language Swahili. The symbol of the feast is based around five colors, which represent five historical periods in African-American history.

Black represents black families before slavery, White symbolizes the scattering of Black families during slavery, Red denotes the liberation from slavery, Green signifies the struggle for civil equality and Gold implies hope for the future.

Umoja Karamu is similar to a Thanksgiving celebration. Its observances can include prayer, a libation poured to honor ancestors, historical readings and the passing and sharing of foods in the five colors. Regarding the five Symbols; Families, Diaspora, Freedom, Struggle, Hope; it is great to have a black understanding about self. As we continue to lift as we climb it is beautiful to recognize how far we have come as a people. Umoja Kamaru, Unity in 2009; what are you grateful for?

A. Employment, being able to provide
    B. Honoring my family and friends more
    C. Finishing or doing better in school
    D. Embracing my Race and Culture more
    E. Connecting with my Spirituality
    F. None of the above

http://www.aaregistry.com/phpQJr/poll.php?pid=336

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014