Uganda : Ugandan views on debt relief

indya

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 4, 2004
I thought this would be interresting considering how heated the other thread became regarding debt relief for Africa. This is an interview with Andrew Mwenda, a Ugandan radio journalist and this thoughts on Aid to Africa and trade deficits. It's an eye opener, please read the entire story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4657139.stm

After months of work they came up with the same old mantras: doubling aid, cancelling debt and reducing trade tariffs and subsidies.

They're ignoring reality. For the last 40 years, Africa's been getting more, not less, aid - we've received more than $500bn. But we are getting poorer not richer.

Let me show you, through the experience of my homeland Uganda how these recommendations don't - and won't - work

And she also said that Uganda should aim to reduce donor support.

But Tony Blair is talking of doubling aid to Africa. Yet some African economies are so small that the amount of aid they're getting is already skewing the economy.

Foreign aid enriches politicians, bureaucrats and aid workers, whose consumption fuels inflation.

The Ugandan government is receiving so much foreign aid that the economy is unable to absorb it. Treasury bills have to be used to suck the money out of the system. As a result, the Central Bank is holding $700m in treasury bills, and the interest on that per annum is $120m - which is incurred by the tax payer.

Foreign aid does not help the poor out of their misery - it exacerbates their problems and prolongs their agony.

Taxpayers in the west should not be asked to pay to keep corrupt and incompetent governments in power

indya said:
I thought this would be interresting considering how heated the other thread became regarding debt relief for Africa. This is an interview with Andrew Mwenda, a Ugandan radio journalist and this thoughts on Aid to Africa and trade deficits. It's an eye opener, please read the entire story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4657139.stm

After months of work they came up with the same old mantras: doubling aid, cancelling debt and reducing trade tariffs and subsidies.

They're ignoring reality. For the last 40 years, Africa's been getting more, not less, aid - we've received more than $500bn. But we are getting poorer not richer.

Let me show you, through the experience of my homeland Uganda how these recommendations don't - and won't - work

And she also said that Uganda should aim to reduce donor support.

But Tony Blair is talking of doubling aid to Africa. Yet some African economies are so small that the amount of aid they're getting is already skewing the economy.

Foreign aid enriches politicians, bureaucrats and aid workers, whose consumption fuels inflation.

The Ugandan government is receiving so much foreign aid that the economy is unable to absorb it. Treasury bills have to be used to suck the money out of the system. As a result, the Central Bank is holding $700m in treasury bills, and the interest on that per annum is $120m - which is incurred by the tax payer.

Foreign aid does not help the poor out of their misery - it exacerbates their problems and prolongs their agony.

Taxpayers in the west should not be asked to pay to keep corrupt and incompetent governments in power

Firstly, I hope everyone will forgive me if I end up ranting in this post but when the hell did a Ugandan speak for africa? His country in all honesty has no natural resources, and is supported solely by Foreign Aid, thats why they have been a puppet to the Colonialists! They together with Rwanda if i am not mistaken are invading Congo for its natural resources. What he says is true for East Africa. But the rest of Africa has enough resources to do without this serious pimping masquerading as Aid. Most pictures of Africa needing Aid is taken from East Africa, and it is painting a false picture of Africa which actually needs less pludering of its resources by Multinationals. I always get furious when one country tries to speak of its views on Africa, especially when they pimp themselves to colonialists.

militant said:
Firstly, I hope everyone will forgive me if I end up ranting in this post but when the hell did a Ugandan speak for africa? His country in all honesty has no natural resources, and is supported solely by Foreign Aid, thats why they have been a puppet to the Colonialists! They together with Rwanda if i am not mistaken are invading Congo for its natural resources. What he says is true for East Africa. But the rest of Africa has enough resources to do without this serious pimping masquerading as Aid. Most pictures of Africa needing Aid is taken from East Africa, and it is painting a false picture of Africa which actually needs less pludering of its resources by Multinationals. I always get furious when one country tries to speak of its views on Africa, especially when they pimp themselves to colonialists.

Militant:

He is saying that Uganda should not rely on forgein aid the story is about how bad the aid is for his country. Reading the entire story I didn't get the idea he was speaking for anyone other than Uganda.

I posted this to (compliment?) the other post that got boged down talking about African aid and the fact that Africa doesn't get enough aid.

indya said:
Militant:

He is saying that Uganda should not rely on forgein aid the story is about how bad the aid is for his country. Reading the entire story I didn't get the idea he was speaking for anyone other than Uganda.
No, he clearly said : "They're ignoring reality. For the last 40 years, Africa's been getting more, not less, aid - we've received more than $500bn. But we are getting poorer not richer.". There he is talking absolute bollony. The "aid" to Africa, if I can call it that, is nowhere close to that. What they should do is stop allowing Dictators who plunder our resources, to stash the cash overseas. A country like Nigeria has 502 billion dollars stashed in swiss bank accounts and the swiss are refusing to return it back, claiming they have "frozen" the accounts. Congo also has cash stashed overseas, with no intention by the west to return it. returning those cash alone, could do better than Aid selected countries. He is speaking for the whole of Africa based on his Ugandan experience. An experience of Self-prostitution of a people to colonialists on a National level! What i find offensive is that this same Ugandan/rwandan experience is used to paint the whole of Africa as a land without resources who only survive on Aid. Wake up everyone! The aid to africa is less than a third to the Aid to Isreal, which is the size of Brooklyn. It is all a concerted effort to paint a picture of a west trying to save an Africa that doesnt want to save itself. And now we have a Ugandan journalist pandering to that view. Was it his government that asked him to write that?

I posted this to (compliment?) the other post that got boged down talking about African aid and the fact that Africa doesn't get enough aid.

I hear you, but Africa doesnt need Aid. Okay maybe some countries, but on a whole Africa needs fair trade and less raping of its resources.

militant said:
No, he clearly said : "They're ignoring reality. For the last 40 years, Africa's been getting more, not less, aid - we've received more than $500bn. But we are getting poorer not richer.". There he is talking absolute bollony. The "aid" to Africa, if I can call it that, is nowhere close to that. What they should do is stop allowing Dictators who plunder our resources, to stash the cash overseas. A country like Nigeria has 502 billion dollars stashed in swiss bank accounts and the swiss are refusing to return it back, claiming they have "frozen" the accounts. Congo also has cash stashed overseas, with no intention by the west to return it. returning those cash alone, could do better than Aid selected countries. He is speaking for the whole of Africa based on his Ugandan experience. An experience of Self-prostitution of a people to colonialists on a National level! What i find offensive is that this same Ugandan/rwandan experience is used to paint the whole of Africa as a land without resources who only survive on Aid. Wake up everyone! The aid to africa is less than a third to the Aid to Isreal, which is the size of Brooklyn. It is all a concerted effort to paint a picture of a west trying to save an Africa that doesnt want to save itself. And now we have a Ugandan journalist pandering to that view. Was it his government that asked him to write that?

I hear you, but Africa doesnt need Aid. Okay maybe some countries, but on a whole Africa needs fair trade and less raping of its resources.

Good Thread, Militant and Indya...

It actually belongs in the Pan African Forum where it will get more of a read...
Good info, good little debate....

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back