Uganda : Uganda virgins offered university

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
A Ugandan MP is raising funds to send virgins to university for free.
Sulaiman Madada says he wants to encourage schoolgirls to be morally upright and avoid early marriages.

"We do not want these girls to get exposed to Aids," he told the Associated Press. Uganda is often held up as a model of how to fight HIV/Aids.

Infection rates have fallen from 15% to 5% but critics say this could now rise because the government is promoting abstinence, rather than safe sex.

The call for abstinence in fighting HIV/Aids is backed by religious groups and Uganda's first lady Janet Museveni, who supports a campaign for young Ugandans to pledge abstinence until marriage.

Only girls in Kayunga district who pass a virginity test will qualify for the bursary, which will start next year.

Kayunga, in central Uganda, has one of the highest HIV/Aids infection rates in the country.

"I believe this bursary will make a difference," Mr Madada told the AFP news agency.

"I have contacted some NGOs and well-wishers to join me in this."

The number of scholarships will depend on his fundraising efforts, he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4700171.stm

fanyamambo said:
I don't know how I feel about virginity as a pre-requisite for a university scholarship. As well intentioned as it may be, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This has negative connotations: that African women are more premiscious than other women, which is certainly not true. I certainly do not see this as being an effective tool to fight "HIV" or a STD (the expressed purpose of the scholarship). Remaining a virgin for as long as possible does not automatically mean that a woman will make healthy choices once they do decide to remain sexually active.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back