Black Sports : UFC: Mayweather, Jr. UFC Bound

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Monetary, May 9, 2007.

1. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Clike HERE for article.

2. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    DIN Thomas UFC Jujitsu master challenged maywether. I dunno these UFC boys is hard foreal. Rampage Jackson is an animal.

3. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Mayweather is just doing a good job creating pub for himself.

He runs in the boxing ring, so no way he could fight UFC rules without getting submitted or pummeled. He is a supreme boxer, but he needs all the rules and regulations and pitty-pat point system of boxing to be supreme.

He is not a puncher and he doesn't have a wrestling background so only way he could beat a top UFC guy is if they make the fight boxing rules only.

Now somebody like Jeff Lacey...I bet he'd destroy rampage or lidell.

4. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34

I don't know bruh....oh my fault ....what's good Kemetkind.....Go JT ..!! now that that's out the way.......I'll tell you what any boxer that would fight a MMA guy would be in for a long day and that's just honest. ....I believe I could take a boxer at my weight class, ( I fight at 185 now...Yea me ...I walk around at 205) anyway I believe there's not a boxer , straight trained professional boxer at my weight class and above that I couldn't beat under MMA rules and I'm not a professional fighter, smokers, grappling and BJJ matches along with stupid dudes that want to see if they can handle grappling is all I got.

However a boxer only has to worry about punches that's it nothing more, as a MMA guy with my base in Muay Thai and a solid understand of BJJ and no gi grappling I bring a lot more to the table than any boxer.

When you have to worry about punches, elbows, head and leg kicks, the clinch, knees from the clinch, elbows from the clinch, takedowns from the clinch, double leg takedowns, singles, ankle picks, among many other throws and then on the ground, eating elbows, punches, knees and then submissions, the game changes beyond belief. I honestly believe I could beat a cat like Jeff Lacey hell probably even a dude like the Klitschko bros. .....my strategy........gauge my distance not to get hit....shoot in for the takedown , put them on the ground and either submit them, choke them unconscious, or ground and pound them into submission either way would work for me simply because I know once we hit the mat they don't have any answers for what would be happening to them........man I love Jiu jitsu de Brasil.....

The new MMA fighter can take the fight whever he wants it , if you are a better puncher he'll work kicks and work for the takedown to see if he's more dominant on the ground if you're more dominant on the ground he'll try to work kicks or knees and elbows from the clinch.

That's how it is.....a boxer however doesn't even have an answer for leg kicks much less getting taken down and once on the ground any advantage you had standing up weight or powerwise is negated by will to dominate and technique..as an example I provide a clip of Bjj Black Belt Gil Castillo in a grappling match with NFL player John Maclaughlin.......D I hope this link doesn't break any rules.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dVqMIt8jSY

In my opinion it's the ruleset one trains by that dictates who will win most challenge matches, if a MMA guy fights a boxer using boxing rules he'll usually get used, if a boxer fights a MMA guy with MMA rules the same will happen, usually most MMA guys fighting under Grappling or BJJ rules (gi or no gi) will get mauled by a guy that does nothing but submission grappling and BJJ ....

but I feel that the more weapons you have at your disposal with the knowledge to use them the better you'll be....

Oh yeah Floyd Jr. is one of the best boxers ever, ever, ever ......

MississippiRed

5. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    What's up red, long time no see bruah.

You're probably right not many boxers could hang with a MMA dude fighting MMA rules....At first.

But think about it...you watch a lot of these shows most these MMA cats don't have years and years of experience. They hop in and train for 3 or 4 years and if they're any good they get publicity.

So i'm wondering if MMA is that difficult to learn...why shouldn't a boxer who is very skilled and athletically gifted do the same thing...i.e. train MMA for a few years and go handle business.

I'm talking about those boxers who do DAMAGE in the ring...not the i'll outpoint you with pitty pats cause you can't catch me types....(i.e. mayweather, spinks, etc)

For example Tyson in his prime...with a year or two of MMA training? You think lidell or rampage or anybody else currently on top in UFC would've been able to handle him?

6. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    What's good Kemet,

I think the answer is yes and no. I do think a boxer could train the other parts of his game and would do ok but the ground game is so deep that in there with a guy who has a lot better ground game and wrestling he wouldn't fare so well.

The boxer would have to change his game around some also like being really careful about bobbing and weaving among a few other things but I would love to see a skilled boxer in there with some ground skills and a good takedown defense. I don't think it'll happen though simply because right now there's more money to be made boxing than MMA.

To your point though I do believe a boxer with thunder in his hands who could defend the takedown and keep the fight upright would do a whole lot of damage but that takedown defense as well as a decent ground game takes years to get much like really learning the intricasies of the boxing game though hence my yes and no answer.

Youre right though it would have to be a dude that would be more of a puncher/brawler as opposed to a technical boxer I think.

Red

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    whats good red?

do u train mma ? there is a dojo near me i am thinking of checking it out, not for competition just to learn self defense and skill.

what weight r u? could u take jackson, lidell, or one of them pros?? go get em dude you could make like $450,000, personally i aint with getting hit up oin the head all like that. did u see ufc 72? how about that guy houston alexander? he dammn near killed that white boy!

8. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34

It's all gravy bruh, hope things are going good on your end. I train Brazilian Jiujitsu ( gi and no-gi) and Muay Thai separately and do get to do a bit of MMA sparring from time to time and love it man ..If there's a school close to you bruh get in there and try it out.

Most gyms will give you at least one lesson for free and some will even give more like a week or two. It's good for self defense just make sure you get to spar on a regular basis man it helps you get your timing , range , learning to control and transition from standing, to the clinch to the ground and also helps you get used to getting hit ;)

I walk around right now at 206 but I'm working on dropping down to 185 and getting a few Grappling tournaments in this year at that weight to see how I feel and then I'll try and get into a few MMA smokers and maybe a local amateur show or two.

Nah bruh I couldn't touch them cats man they get paid for them fights for a reason. MMA is hard on the body man it's a real rough sport but I can hang with some of the amateur guys who have roughly the same amount of time in as I do..My problem has been when I get taken down since my background is Boxing, Muay Thai I want to stand up and bang with punches and kicks and such but I've been working on my ground game man so I can deal with these boys on the ground as well as on the feet..

I doubt I'll ever go pro simply because of my age but these local events are fun as hell too and I'll tell you what honestly I do love MMA but I like the grappling better and I'll be able to do that and fight in those tourneys into my 50's and 60's if I take care of myself.....I'll try to get some pics of us training and the like to post on here...

Therious let me know the name of the school near you and I'll find out some info on it for you so you can kind of know what to expect when you go in there. Most important though bruh is have fun man.

Yeah Houston did much work....it looked like he had killttttttt ole boy....dude didn't know what hit him.....also did you notice that every brother that fought that night won... Rampage, Din Thomas, Houston Alexander, and Terry Martin all won either by submission or KO.....

Red

9. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    YEAH ILL LET U KNOW THE NAME OF IT. YEAH THE BRUH'S WENT 4 AND 0 !!! dIN tHOMAS LAID A BEUTIFUL ARM BAR ON THAT YOUNG BOY, I JUST BECAME A FAN AFTER UFC 72, I TRIED UFC IN THE NINETIES BUT THE GRAPPLING AND HOLDING MADE ME FALL A SLEEP, NOT TO MENTION MOST FIGHTERS WERE EUROPEAN. I LIKE THE FACT THAT THEY STAND THE FIHTERS UP NOW IF THEY HOLD TOO LONG, I RESPECT GRAPPLING AND CSW, BUT AFTER 20 MINUTES OF HOLDING ITS JUST NOT ENTERTAINMENT TO THE AVERAGE EYE. YEAH I WILL LET U KNOW HOW THINGS ARE GOING, WAS JUST JOKING ABOUT THOSE PRO CATS, NOT 2 SLIGHT YOU RED BUT THEM DUDES ARE MACHINES.

PEACE

10. GOODYMAN

GOODYMAN Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    No professional boxer would be able to beat an MMA fighter.

Styles and skills make fights.

Those who understand know that fights occur in 3 planes.

First plane = Stand up striking/boxing/kicking at a distance
    --->________<---

Second plane = Stand up grappling, clenching, wrestling, up close
    --->_<---

Third plane = On the ground.
    ___ ___

Boxers RULE in the first plane.

BUT..

Boxers get destroyed EVERY TIME in the second and third plane.

Mixed Martial Artists train offensively and defensively in every plane using hands, feet, elbows, and knees.

Floyd Mayweather would get put in the clench by an MMA fighter who isn't even in the Top 20 in his weight class and get owned in the first round.