Black People : U.S. Judge Approves Settlement for Black Farmers

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
U.S. judge approves settlement for black farmers

Fri Oct 28, 2011

WASHINGTON Oct 27 (Reuters) - A federal judge on Thursday approved a $1.25 billion settlement in a decades-old discrimination case by black farmers, clearing the way for them to seek compensation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture for being left out of farm aid programs.

The decision helps tens of thousands of farmers who had been denied part of an earlier 1999 settlement because they missed the filing deadline.

U.S. District Court Judge Paul Friedman wrote in an order approving the agreement that Congress by waiving the statute of limitations has further redressed "the historic discrimination against African-American farmers." He called the settlement "fair, reasonable, and adequate."

National Black Farmers Association president said it was "a very important step that should provide assurance to the black farmers that each of their cases will now move towards a resolution."

The black farmers reached this settlement with the government in February 2010 to compensate them for being left out of federal farm loan and assistance programs for years because of alleged racial discrimination.

READ MORE: http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFN1E79Q2FG20111028

I was glad to read this, but then I started thinking ....
I wonder if there's a catch. I wonder how long it will take to give them compensation, the amount, how it will be dished out, and the restrictions attached.

I seriously don't trust it. The decision un-American. They've been fighting forever against giving these farmers compensation. I'll believe it when I see.

*Notice how Rueters says "because of alleged racial discrimination," and yet a judge said, "the historic discrimination against African-American farmers." Those dirty little tricks of the media, I can't stand.

I was glad to read this, but then I started thinking ....
I wonder if there's a catch. I wonder how long it will take to give them compensation, the amount, how it will be dished out, and the restrictions attached.

I seriously don't trust it. The decision un-American. They've been fighting forever against giving these farmers compensation. I'll believe it when I see.

*Notice how Rueters says "because of alleged racial discrimination," and yet a judge said, "the historic discrimination against African-American farmers." Those dirty little tricks of the media, I can't stand.

There's always a Catch 22

I too was happy for the farmers which is a very small number today then back in
the days m who to say they won't get there just due but at what price because
anything they give/do have a hidden price tag stamped on it !

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back