Libya : U.N. okays military action on Libya

As screwed up as my typos are,

I can speak about

democracy in this case being spelled

C-O-L-O-N-I-Z-A-T-I-O-N:explode:

''They waved signs with anti-American slogans such as "Tunisia is free -- America get out."

"We want her to stay out," said Hawla Hammoun, a 21-year-old female university student wearing an Islamic head scarf, speaking in fluent, American-accented English.''

The above comment was made by a woman..a woman in Muslim country..people from those respective African countries are way more savvy than you lot give them credit for.. and they probably know more about the American government than you do..so if ''colonization'' is in the plans, they gonna have long fight on their hands..

Ahmadinejad: U.S., Europe should not intervene in Libya

Madrid, Spain (CNN) -- The United States and Europe should not intervene militarily in strife-torn Libya because it would make matters worse, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told Spanish state television TVE on Tuesday.

"I think a military intervention would be even worse. The experience of Iraq and Afghanistan is before us. It made things worse, not better," Ahmadinejad told TVE in an interview at the presidential palace in Tehran, Iran, which was televised in Spain.

He condemned Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's bombardment of rebels, saying, "We condemn these massacres and we have condemned them previously. Whomever bombs his own people should be condemned."

But Ahmadinejad -- speaking in his native Farsi that was translated to Spanish -- also warned, "A Western intervention will just complicate the situation. The West needs to leave behind its colonialist vision."

He accused the United States and Europe of having provided weapons and backing to Gadhafi and other autocratic regimes in the region in the past.

"Previously they helped the government and today they are pretending to help the people," he said. "If they don't intervene in Libyan affairs I think the Libyan people can decide their future."

On Saturday, the Arab League recommended a no-fly zone over Libya. In a private session on Monday, the U.N. Security council has expressed doubts and concerns about the measure, meaning quick approval likely will not occur.

Asked about Iran, Ahmadinejad denied any repression against opposition at home.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/03/15/spain.libya.ahmadinejad/index.html?eref=edition

Uh oh, Iran has weighed in.

I just don't understand why US jumped in after it seem like Qaddafi was getting ready to take control of 'I think' Benghazi. It seemed like they were sitting back and watching and all of a sudden when Qaddifi was getting ready to win, then the air strikes seemed to have started at that time.

And just like the Iran leader said, it seems like US was helping Qaddafi and then all of sudden, they switched side...confusing.

Libya bombing called successful; endgame unclear

By ROBERT BURNS, AP National Security Writer Robert Burns, Ap National Security Writer – 10 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The U.S. on Sunday claimed initial success two days into an assault on Libya that included some of the heaviest firepower in the American arsenal — long-range bombers designed for the Cold War — but American officials said Sunday it was too early to define the international military campaign's endgame.

The top U.S. military officer suggested that Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi might stay in power in spite of the military assault aimed at protecting civilians, calling into question the larger objective of an end to Gadhafi's erratic 42-year rule. Other top U.S. officials have suggested that a weakened and isolated Gadhafi could be ripe for a coup.

A second wave of attacks, mainly from American fighters and bombers, targeted Libyan ground forces and air defenses, following an opening barrage Saturday of sea-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles. Defense Secretary Robert said the U.S. expects to turn control of the mission over to a coalition — probably headed either by the French and British or by NATO — "in a matter of days."

At the Pentagon, Navy Vice Adm. William E. Gortney, staff director for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told a news conference that the back-to-back assaults Saturday and Sunday had inflicted heavy damage. They largely silenced Gadhafi's air defenses, blunted his army's drive on the rebel stronghold of Benghazi and confused his forces.

"We judge these strikes to have been very effective in significantly degrading the regime's air defense capability," Gortney said. "We believe his forces are under significant stress and suffering from both isolation and a good deal of confusion."

Gortney's assessment suggested that further strikes on the scale of Saturday's heavy assault with sea-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles may not be needed, although he did not rule out further attacks.

Gortney said Gadhafi himself is not a target, but he could not guarantee the strongman's safety.

The systems targeted most closely were Libya's SA-5 surface-to-air missiles, Russian-made weaponry that could pose a threat to allied aircraft many miles off the Libyan coastline. Libya has a range of other air defense weaponry, including portable surface-to-air missiles that are more difficult to eliminate by bombing.

Sunday's attacks, carried out by a range of U.S. aircraft — including Air Force B-2 stealth bombers as well as Marine Harrier jets flying from an amphibious assault ship in the Mediterranean — demonstrated the predominance of U.S. firepower in the international coalition. By striking Libyan ground forces, coalition forces also showed that they are going beyond the most frequently discussed goal of establishing a no-fly zone over the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110320/ap_on_re_us/us_us_libya_military

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back