Black Sports : Tyson vs McBride

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by oceolo, Jun 11, 2005.

1. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Tyson in his latest comeback vs a tomato can named Kevin McBride. If Tyson cant beat him he should try a new line of work. Saturday June 10 Pay Per View

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I agree, if Tyson can't beat this guy he will become a journeyman. There is no way I'm paying to see this though, I'll wait for the replay next week.

3. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    it was a funny fight...suprisingly went 5 rounds. The only thing worth watching during this airing was Ms Ali's fight beforehand.

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I was thinking about watching this fight to see Laila Ali. Tyson would have been a big disappointment. But, like I said, when the love is gone...you need to let it go before you get seriously hurt. I hope Roy heeds that warning.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I saw the replay on Saturday night, and couldn't help but feel sadness for Mike. I did not order the pay-per-view, which I felt was a waste of money. However I had been hearing about the fight all week. The day after the fight (actually the monday after), a radio DJ was describing Mike Tyson biting his gloves during the fight. The DJ to his own admission was not a boxing expert, so I assumed he mistook Tyson's "Peekaboo" defense as biting his gloves (not having seen the fight yet, I couldn't verify the truthfulness of his statement). When I watched the fight, Tyson was indeed biting his gloves, which is behavior I've never seen before. I couldn't help but think this man is having a mental breakdown. He was actually winning the fight when it was stopped, but he seems to be frustrated the Mcbride wasn't going down. Afterwards during the interview with Jim Gray, Tyson stated he was only fighting to pay his bills. Although I don't think of Tyson's championship reign as highly as some others do (I never thought he had the potential to be the greatest), he nonetheless was a champion. He is also a brother, and I hate to see any black man brought down so low (for the publics amusement). I truly hope he is able to find something else to do with his life. I hope he is serious about doing work in Africa. I wish he finds peace.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i have always had a question about Tyson's weight.
    each fight he is fighting someone who outweighs him, sometimes by a considerable amount.
    has he ever fought anyone at the same weight as him?
    i would like to see him at 200 fighting cruiser weights.
    or why not a heavy weight up to 225 and a super heavy over that.
    no other class do you have to fight people who have you by 40lbs.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Tyson has always been a smaller heavyweight, although that isn't really unusual in boxing. Joe Louis fought Max Baer who outweighed him by 50lbs. Joe Frazier was also a small heavyweight. Although I must point out that heavyweights in general were not as big then as they are now. The average heavyweight today is around 240+, and as a result it is difficult for smaller heavyweights to compete. Still some do, like IBF heavyweight champ, Chris Byrd who is only around 215 (he fought as a middleweight in the amatuers). I think Mike Tyson would do well as a cruiserweight, but they do not make the money heavyweights do. That is why so few fighters stay in that division.

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    it's not fair.......

a middle weight does not fight a lite heavy.
    why should a 215/220 guy have to go up against a 265 opponent?

let's call Don King and get this stuff straightened out.

9. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Actually brother James there has been talk about creating a "super heavyweight" division. The primary reason behind this is because many (like you) are concerned about the gross weight differences within the heavyweight division. Most weight divisions in boxing only allow a 5-10lb difference between fighters. Any bigger difference is deemed to give one fighter too much of an advantage in strength. I remember a few years ago in the heavyweight division Davarrel Williamson (mispell) fought Corey Sanders, who outweighed him by 100lbs!! Even though Williamson won the fought, the difference in strength was ridiculous. Fights like that add "weight" to the arguement for a super heavyweight division. Also many boxers & trainers feel that the unlimited weight allowance of heavyweight allows more fighters to show up out of shape, because they (unlike other fighters) don't have to worry about making a particular weight. However, while there are many who support a super heavyweight division, there are probably more people against the idea because many feel that boxing has enough divisions (16) as it is. The 4 major sanctioning bodies tried to help smaller heavyweights by recently raising the cruiserweight limit to 200lbs from 190lbs.