Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of No one is safe,

Tyson Gay's daughter shot, killed in Kentucky

Trinity Gay, a high school sprinter and daughter of Olympian Tyson Gay, has died after shots were fired early Sunday morning at a Lexington, Kentucky restaurant.

Two cars were involved in a shootout at the Cook Out restaurant near the University of Kentucky campus. Trinity Gay, 15, who was reportedly not in either car, was hit in the neck and pronounced dead at 4:41 a.m. Sunday. Police are seeking the drivers of the cars based on descriptions ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tyson-...d-in-kentucky-172314702.html?.tsrc=daily_mail

2f244f9bfff2b2c4dde8074dd59be28a

Trinity Gay, Tyson Gay

Tyson Gay, thousands in vigil for sprinter's slain daughter

... Gay told The Associated Press on Monday evening that in talking with police, he believed his daughter was an innocent bystander. But he said authorities didn't reveal details of their investigation.

Tyson Gay said he and his daughter were very close, according to Lexington TV station WLEX, which spoke to him Sunday.

''It's so crazy. I have no idea what happened,'' Gay told the station ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/more-a...oting-tyson-gays-daughter-101502020--spt.html

FILE - In this Aug. 23, 2015, file photo, United States' Tyson Gay looks at his time from a men's 100-meter semifinal at the World Athletics Championships at the Bird's Nest stadium in Beijing. The 15-year-old daughter of Olympic sprinter Tyson Gay has been fatally shot in Kentucky, the athlete's agent and authorities said Sunday, Oct. 16, 2016. Trinity Gay died at the University of Kentucky Medical Center, the coroner's office for Fayette County said in a statement. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, File)

That is very sad news and a depressing situation. Once again, gun violence that adds fuel to the debate over gun laws.

It's difficult for me to reflect on someone that young losing their life in such a violent way.

But, as a parent, albeit an older one, I also must ask the question, at 15, what was she doing out at such a late hour? Is this not unusual or is this the new norm for younger parents to allow their children to (as my father would say) roam the streets at night?

In my house, I would have expected her to be home, tucked away in bed and asleep at that hour. Am I being old-fashioned, demonstrating some form of privilege and being judgmental of younger parents?

When my daughter was in her early teens, I recall there was a commercial, "It's 10pm, do you know where your children are?" and I would always answer vocally, Yes, I do and turn and look at my daughter sitting next to me with a smile. Was I being over-protective?

Thank you for sharing this and starting this thread. It makes me wonder whether there are things responsible parents can do that will have a direct impact to lower the crime rate among the innocent in our neighborhoods.

What do you all think?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back